user profile
Sign in
user profile

Combine two existing listings into a variation family - error message

by Seller_POrEiTkyfOMz6

Hi,
I’m attempting to create a variation family for two existing listings. I have tried with file upload method and the manual method but I cannot get the job complete.

It’s for ‘ItemPackageQuantity’ 6 & 12

The parent has been created and whilst adding the SKU & ASIN of the existing listing for one of the children (6) worked just fine, the other (12) is throwing a conflict error. Not sure why one would be allowed but the other rejected?

Error is
"12 The value ‘12’ specified cannot be used as it conflicts with the value ‘’ for ASIN Z in the Amazon catalogue. If this is ASIN ‘B07F*****’, update the value to match the ASIN data. If this is a different product, update identifying information (UPC/EAN/Part Number/etc).The value ‘12’ specified cannot be used as it conflicts with the value ‘’ for ASIN Z in the Amazon catalogue. If this is ASIN ‘B07F******’, update the value to match the ASIN data. If this is a different product, update identifying information (UPC/EAN/Part Number/etc).
"
Any advice on how to fix (if possible) this would be really appreciated.

Tags: ASIN, Images, Listings, SKU
29 replies
29 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_POrEiTkyfOMz6
In reply to: Seller_POrEiTkyfOMz6’s post

Just thinking about it, should I change the SKU?

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q

SKU is only your ref so irrelevant for the problem

The problem is that whoever created the listing for the ‘12’ item has not entered a value for ‘Package Quantity’. You need whoever created the listing to change the value.

I had similar problem with slippers I sell which come in 3 sizes. At the moment they are listed as separate listings. I tried combining them into one variation listing with Size as the variant. However, as they have been setup with different ‘Brand’ attributes (somebody used manufacturer name for Brand on one size - the Brand is actually made under license by the manufacturer) I am unable to do so. No end of cases opened with SS and no luck. Pictures all the same. EANs all belong to same manufacturer. I even directed SS to the manufacture website showing the items. But all I ever get back is that only the Brand owner can authorise the change of the Brand attribute - hence I am unable to combine the variants.

Now you may have more luck in that you may be able to edit Package Quantity (unlike Brand which is always locked).

Try editting the individual listing first and get Package Quantity changed to 12. Then once done, then create the variation listing.

user profile
Seller_zKEt2RiaID5EU

Just out of interest have you tried forcing the change and creating the variation through flat-file? i only ever create variations through FF now.

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q

Oh just to check - does the product even allow variations based on ProductQuantity?

Most products can only use variations of Size, Colour or Size and Colour (there are very few exceptions - a few allow variations based on Volume I think)

Some attributes in variation listings have to be the same for each variation (see my example above where I had trouble with Brand attribute). You may have to use the Size attribute to distinguish between a 6 and 12 pack and not ProductQuantity.

If this is the case then ProductQuantity would have to the same in each listing. How this would effect people who ultimately look at the listings is going be a problem. Perhaps you could delete the field in all the listings and then explain the difference in the Description field?

Amazon treatment of variations is woefully inadequate in my opinion. I have some products I have to list separately which would be better off as variations. For example, I sell Harry Potter jigsaws. Same number of pieces. Same dimensions. Same weight. But instead of listing as one product with variations of ‘Harry Potter’, ‘Ron Weasley’, ‘Hermione Granger’ etc I have to put them all in separate listings. So people searching get shown lots of individual listings and may not even know a different picture design exists.

user profile
Seller_POrEiTkyfOMz6

Unfortunately this has not ended well and despite following the advice from seller support the two listings ended up with hundreds of units in stranded status.

Yesterday a seller support agent ‘reset’ the listings and the units have moved to reserved (FC Processing) but are ‘Out of Stock’ and unavailable for purchase. Has anybody had a listing ‘reset’? If so how long before the units were again available for sale?

Wondering at what point do I try to delete the listing, wait 24 hours and create a new listing with the same SKU etc.?

user profile
Seller_ZQyopdiwkUHOZ

In theory you should be able to delete the ASIN for the 12 variant, leave it 24 hours, then re-add it using the Flat File as Update for that Variant and PartialUpdate for the Parent and other Child Variants, and it should correct the data.

Whether this will work is up in the air. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn’t.

Either way the stock at fulfilment centres will become stranded until you create the replacement Variant and assign the sane SKU to it. Make sure you DO assign the same SKU again.

user profile
Seller_POrEiTkyfOMz6

Any input from the moderators would be most appreciated at this point. I notice they have been really active and helpful lately on the forums which is good to see.
@Nickolas_Amazon

user profile
Seller_L2WLWf8N814M4

Hello @NicheAtHome,

Those products are still reserved?
If you want please share by DM the case id open with Seller Support and the ASIN.

Regards
Nickolas

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post