user profile
Sign in
user profile

Filing Retrospective Nil VAT Returns in Germany

by Seller_JKeEt48GEoAZB

Advice please!

I registered for VAT in Germany using Alvara via Amazon’s free offer in November. I got my VAT number in January and I received a letter this week from the Hanover Tax office saying I had not submitted tax returns for Nov and December and will be fined for not doing so.

I then contacted Avalara who say I need to do this via Amazon and it is not their responsibility, but Amazon can give me access to file retrospective returns. So I contacted Amazon to ask for access and they say that function does not work at present and I need to wait until March when they will launch a new tool that will enable me to file retrospective returns. They also say in the same email I should pay the fine (currently $69) and they will reimburse me.

This all seems very weird. I didn’t sell anything anyway so the returns for the two months are NIL returns. I am wondering if I can just file these myself and save doing this hassle with the fine - I am not that confident Amazon will refund me? I tried calling the Hanover tax office but I cannot get through.

Anybody have any experience of this?

Tags: Returns
8 replies
8 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_gibLUyQ2zoJzc
In reply to: Seller_JKeEt48GEoAZB’s post

We are in the same boat but need to file for 2017, 2018 and 2019 due to Amazon keeping returns in a German warehouse. The reply I got today after much back and forth over several weeks, is the new tool will be ready before you have to do yearly filing in July! Still not clear in the wording if we will be able to get the full filings we need just wait till it’s ready and see.

Amazon doing Amazon basically.

user profile
Seller_wWapEq5y1W0je
In reply to: Seller_JKeEt48GEoAZB’s post

Hello,

It is possible to file the returns yourself. However, the setup requires about 4 weeks and is probably not worth the hassle. Accountants in Germany have the ability to file VAT returns on the same day. I would recommend contacting a German accounting company and requesting assistance. Expect to pay around 90 EUR for a nil retro return. Do not push it for too long (12 months) as they will eventually de-register your VAT number/cert for selling on marketplaces in Germany.

If the deadline of 12 months is approaching, I would advise not to wait any further for the retro service with Amazon/Avalara, it is being developed but could still be a few months away.

Hope this helps

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post