user profile
Sign in
user profile

A - Z claim, 3 failed delivery attempts, won't collect, refund or appeal?

by Seller_Bf67RALAitbRc

Hi

I’m based in the UK, new to amazon and trying to get an understanding of amazons unfair a - z claims system, I have to say amazon treat their sellers way to harshly.

I’ve learnt from my first “mistake” of refunded an amazon.com return request upfront, I said keep the items, thinking I was doing the right thing and more than expected of me by amazon only to find he’d made a case as well as two return request and amazon logic hit me with a negative metric. I was told he’d withdrawn the case before the refund but the system was slow to update, so tough luck me. They said email to apeal and all I got was automated infuriating “we never change our wise decisions” replies.

I then had a amazon.de customer open a case for an item I had provided signed tracking with delivery confirmation for over messages, but hadn’t added it to the order, I had no chance to even appeal and lost €100 and got a negative metric. Thanks amazon x

So now all claims fill me with dread and no hope for a reasonable outcome.

Today an amazon.co.uk customer in mainland Europe has opened a case. Tracking shows three failed delivery attempts and they are not willing to collect the item from the depot ten minutes away.

I’m willing to just refund them to resolve the issue and be done with it. You would think amazon would encourage this and not penalise sellers metrics but I know that’s not the case.

I’ve been prompt and polite in responses. The item shipped on time with tracked shipping and the first delivery attempt was within the estimated time period. They claim no calling cards were left. I feel I’m not at fault as I can’t control the courier or the situation at the flat when attempting to deliver. Most customers collect from the depot.

I asked amazon for advise to minimise the inevitable negative metrics on my main seller marketplace, the first live chat told me refunding them won’t affect my metrics as amazon.co.uk is different to amazon.com. Turns out that is totally untrue and confirms some amazon staff spread misinformation that can negatively affect sellers.

Another told me to ask the buyer to withdraw the case as I’m not disputing the situation, which I did try and the buyer said no, and that amazon tells them not to withdraw a case until its resolved with the seller… So that’s really unhelpful for the seller who wants to refund the buyer when they aren’t to blame and don’t want a negative metric. I gently asked again and they refused to withdraw.

The live chat also said appeal the case… "I’ll add notes to back you up, you’ll win! " but I don’t belive that for a second. I feel quite certain amazon will rule against me based on prior experience but I’m not sure.

So can anyone advise what’s the best thing to do if the buyer won’t withdraw the case, they aren’t willing to collect from the depot, I want to refund but don’t want to accept the negative metrics.

If I apeal and lose is that worse for my metrics than just refunded them with an open case or is it the same?

Do I have any chance of winning? If I do, does it affect my metrics just because a case was opened?

If the parcel is in limbo at the depot, does that affect the appeal in any way, like I can wait for them to be returned to sender before refunding?

And what kind of percentage of order defect metrics gets your account closed?

It seems crazy how amazon encourage sellers to resolve issues before cases are made but it’s so easy for buyers to make cases and they often do it right after messaging you for the first time.

Thank you for your any help at all and sorry for waffling on.

Tags: Customer, Refunds
6 replies
6 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_lljyzgTxr5fgI
In reply to: Seller_Bf67RALAitbRc’s post

I think, reading through this, you might be on a sticky wicket. There’s a lot to go through but, in essence:

I understand your logic about letting the .com customer keep the goods and a refund but that is never a guarantee they will leave it at that. As you said, a bit tough luck.

For the .de customer, as you didn’t enter the tracking details in the system when the item was dispatched, you automatically lose that one. This is a basic requirement of despatch unfortunately. We ignore it at our peril.

For the .uk customer (in Europe), the customer is not required to go and seek the package. They pay you to have it delivered. Yes, it’s nit picking, when it’s only 10 minutes away, but the customer may be severely disabled, for example, and that 10 minutes to you might be a lot longer and a lot more difficult to them.

You do need to work with customers to try and resolve matters like these but also, perhaps address why you’ve had three A-Z cases in three different marketplaces. Is there something you can do differently or something that needs addressing? What I will say is, if you continue to get negatives like this, a suspension is very likely to follow.

user profile
Seller_2BrPSydGy6oyq
In reply to: Seller_Bf67RALAitbRc’s post

As your parcel has not been delivered, the buyer will always win an A-Z claim for INR and if the buyer will not withdraw the A-Z, then Amazon will refund them once you present your case (showing the order is not delivered) or, if you don’t respond within 3 days, refunding will be viewed as accepting the claim and will be recorded as a defect.

Your choice is to refund now, or wait on Amazon refunding, personally I would defend the case advising the buyer is refusing to collect after 3 delivery attempts, but you will be happy to refund once tracking shows it’s being returned to sender?

You will likely lose the case, but a shot in the dark?

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post