Accepting responsibility

We are rapidly becoming a nation of people who cannot accept responsibility for anything. In the wider world things like making some sort of legal claim against someone else for anything that goes wrong in our lives (eg travelling to Spain during a pandemic and then expecting to get some sort of recompense when something goes wrong) .
In the Amazon world its the customers who do not take responsibility for anything ( obviously there are many customers who do accept responsibilty) . Eg if you order something from amazon is it not reasonable to expect you to either be there to accept the parcel or make arrangements where the parcel to be left or ,in the absence of these, pick it up from the “depot”. – Far too many times the customer will not accept responsibility-- aided and abetted by Amazon. . There are so many different ways that customers can evade responsibility on Amazon that it becomes surreal.

It’s a culture of something has gone wrong, who can I blame…and as you say, on Amazon the buck ends up with the seller, irrespective of who may be at fault?

the forum is filled up of hundreds of posts about issues and customers abuse. we have been on amazon for six years and either our patience is running thin or it has progressively got worse over time. at a micro level it is frustrating and we bang our head against the wall on why amazon does not see or listen to hundreds of posts with similar gripe but maybe looking at the bigger picture we are a minority going about our businesses in a legit manner and each wrong feels like a knife cut but i read somewhere that there are 10k new sellers on amazon month on month and maybe they do not last or are non EU sellers who run most of the scams and amazon has a blanket policy to protect the customer with no regard for years on amazon or other system to segregate serious business sellers and the others.
is there a solution? not sure unless they only allow EU sellers on EU platforms and so on but still not make anyone happy so they do what works for them and let you choose if you wish to sell on their platforms or no.
Amazon provides volume customers and you have to build in margins to cover all the other things that happen on here. Yes it does not help that every new competitor does not know these issues and only learn with experience so everyone is chasing the buy box with a cheaper price so margins are always being squeezed.
we have seen enough sellers come and go and ones before us leave the platform and as we learn more and ensure we have enough margins, we realise that it is a game of tightening margins and looking at other sources of revenue but yes customer is king and amazon will always support them unless they see that hundreds of sellers are leaving every month like what happened with ebay years ago.
that would only happen when another platform comes up in competition and that might happen or it might not…

I also find it strange that on Amazon, I’ve had a disproportionately higher ‘parcel not received’ claims (we do mostly FBA and only fulfil a few seller fulfilled orders on Amazon) On the other platform that we sell, guess how many claims in the last 12 months? NONE. People clearly are abusing Amazon’s policies. But then again on the other hand, we get more business on Amazon than anywhere else. So I guess we have to bite the bullet and move on.

Its a two way street, you suggest people but somehow forget that you’re one of them. You should be accepting your responsibility when orders aren’t turning up or if there is another issue without a moan but you see thread after thread on these boards of sellers trying any excuse possible not to fulfil their legal obligations never mind moral responsibilities and really dislike returning their customer their money when something goes wrong and it is the sellers responsibility to put it right…If its not about buyers its about amazon policies. You signed up to the policies so you should be following them to the letter as this is your responsibility and if you cant do that you should leave and go where you can fulfil your responsibility. Your own post tries to shift “blame” on to somebody else rather than accept the responsibility for delivery where it lives, with you.

Is it me you are replying to or one of the other posters.?

As you have not replied to my later post I assume it is me you are criticising .
I do not wish to start a long war but I feel so stung by your comments that I feel I have to reply.

Your own post tries to shift “blame” on to somebody else rather than accept the responsibility for delivery where it lives, with you.

Just to clear up one point the example I quoted is not mine.I am lucky enough never to ,personally, had a problem like this( I would stress the word lucky). I am not shifting blame

you see thread after thread on these boards of sellers trying any excuse possible not to fulfil their legal obligations never mind moral responsibilities and really dislike returning their customer their money when something goes wrong and it is the sellers responsibility to put it right

This is one of the most arrogant comments I’ve ever seen on these boards. It is true that there are many sellers who post here that clearly are not telling the full story or simply do not understand the rules. But there are far more posters who have a genuine grievance and are quite legitimately asking for help.

You signed up to the policies so you should be following them to the letter as this is your responsibility and if you cant do that you should leave and go where you can fulfil your responsibility.

Again an extremely arrogant and unhelpful comment. . As a matter of fact I “signed up” about 14 years ago when you could actually sell things (in my case second hand books) without having to jump through a myriad of hoops .The idea that I can leave and go “somewhere else” is , at the moment, a complete non starter. Amazon has virtually destroyed the 2nd hand book market. I would love for somebody to come up with a platform for selling books where there are lots of buyers, books could be sold at reasonable prices and buyers and sellers are treated with equal respect…
At the moment things are so desperate for many second hand booksellers that I am quite certain that any little help they can get will be appreciated.This includes not paying needless postal costs when they have done nothing wrong (which was , of course the example in my original post). There are many more examples that could be given of booksellers (and Ive no doubt most other sellers) of having the life squeezed out of them

I don’t spend all day on these boards i have work to do. I log in for 10 minutes every other day then go off so if i don’t reply instantly its because i’m not here.

You made the example so i used that example to show where responsibility lies and the fact that you chose that as an example any replies regarding that is your responsibility too lol

Fine I’m arrogant, been called worse, but I’m also not wrong by your own admittance. There are some genuine grieviences shared but more that are just rants or looking at ways to keep the dosh and passing their responsibility on to the innocent customer.

Nope, it is a very factual comment and it doesn’t matter when you signed up you were aware well in advance of any change of policies as they occur as it shows up on your seller page. If you don’t like the policies you go somewhere were you do. Thats not arrogance that just plain common sense otherwise you are just a rouge trader who thinks they can do what they please at others expense.

That situation covers anybody that chooses to sell a product over distance it is part of the Consumer Contracts Regulations and applies equally on Amazon and off. You could always open a bricks & mortar store just like the good old days, they are having something of a resurgence, though in doing so you may find your overheads will rise quite sharply but if you post a book out to a customer you will still have to abide by the rules set down in law. Maybe you believe government is arrogant for making laws to protect both the seller and the consumer, who knows. Now I’m going off again and may notice your reply in a day or two when I next log in to the forums.