Advice on repeated A-Z claims from one customer please

Were the A-Zs made out of the blue without the buyer contacting you first? I have also had a spate of a group of dropshippers doing this and managed to get Amazon to deny one of the claims, despite the fact that the delivery was not signed for.

In my response to the claim, I explained that the claim was fraudulent and outlined the pattern of the dropshipper’s behaviour. I also pointed out that a buyer opening an A-Z claim with no prior contact was in breach of Amazon’s stated policy, as buyers are ALWAYS required to contact the seller first.

Amazon said they found in my favour because “In this case, the claim was filed out of policy or we detected customer activity that violated our policies.”

Needless to say, I was astonished Amazon actually listened and supported their seller, it took me 5 minutes to get up off the floor. But it’s worth fighting these fraudulent claims, even if you don’t have tracking.

Yes the claims made were out of the blue Cara without the buyer contacting me first. Thanks for the information which I appreciate.

I’m waiting holding my breath to see if we receive notification from Amazon that two further refunds have been requested which would mean that out of the six orders sent on behalf of this “customer” six A-Z refunds would have been granted. In all our years of trading on Amazon we have not received one A-Z before.

I’m also looking into buying shipping through Amazon and tracking services/prices although I think the best way forward for us is probably going to be to send everything into Amazon for them to fulfill the orders. We send the majority of our stock into Amazon but normally ship the maps/posters ourselves. It’s annoying that one rogue customer can disrupt our business so much to say nothing of the time wasted trying to resolve the problem and the fact that I’m jumping every time the phone rings today wondering if it is an Amazon rep telling me our account may be suspended.

Thanks again for your response to my query. The support on the Seller Forum is really great.

Very glad to share my experience if it helps.

That is ridiculous. You must appeal these A-Z decisions, if you haven’t already (there is a button within each claim to appeal). When you do, I would definitely highlight the excessively high rate of this person claiming non-delivery. The normal rate of items going missing in the post must be less than 1%. This dropshipper must be makng the same level of claims against other sellers, too, so urge Amazon to examine their record of making excessive claims.

And do point out Amazon should never have allowed the claims to be opened in the first place as they are in breach of policy. As the seller, you’ve had no opportunity to address any issue before the claim was made. Your metrics and account health have been damaged through no fault of your own. Quote the policy, it’s stated in the help section but what it actually says is,
“Note: Customers are always required to contact you before filing a claim, either via Buyer-Seller messaging or a return request.”
I’m finding that these frauds make contact about one order, and then the system seems to be set up so that they can then make an A-Z claim for a completely different order with no contact first. The communication history for order A is then presented within the A-Z claim for order B, even though it’s a completely different order. I have opened a case with Amazon about why this is allowed to happen but have not yet had a response.

could i ask you if you sell books a I am having a similar experience with someone

I may be wrong - your point of view may be the more prudent, but I think of it this way.

1. The ‘buyer’ you are trying to contact, is the person who bought from the dropshipper and is therefore not your buyer and often as not, not an Amazon customer.

2. Phoning this buyer re a Delivery is exactly why Amazon provide the ‘actual’ buyer’s phone number.

Hence, as long as you refrain from mentioning “Phone Call” in the Amazon Message log and speak with the end recipient only about delivery’ then you abide by Amazon Policy, even if they consider that person to be ‘their’ customer (even when they are not).

Clear as mud I think.

I am a bookseller.

I have attempted to report the frauds to Amazon but have been given the run-around in terms of how best to do so. I had an online chat with seller support who told me to contact Amazon under the ‘other’> ‘report a violation’ section in seller help. So I sent a report and Amazon said it had been transferred to the relevant department. The next day I received a reply, which ignored my report and said that if I wanted to report a buyer I should go to the ‘other’> ‘report a violation’ section in seller help, which is exactly what I had just done!! Case closed. I reopened the case and queried this and was then told to report a buyer by sending an email to the seller performance team. Hmm.

is it a company from London out of interest

You are allowed to ring if it relates to delivery and this does.
The only person in breach of data protection would be the drop shipper for sharing customer details to a third party without making the customer aware the data was being shared with this particular third party.
If you know an address look in the phone book for a number that data has already been shared publicly so permission is granted for use already.

Sorry but you’re wrong. Ask Amazon directly. The phone number is used for the logistics side of delivery… Not to talk about a missing delivery claim. I agree it should be but unfortunately it isn’t. I know I’m :100: correct on this - I have checked with Amazon.

Try reading it again. 100% this time

Can someone please help clarify Amazon’s policy when postage is bought using seller central?

Someone from the US said Amazon US will cover any A-Z refund if postage is bought and paid for using seller central. Does this apply to UK and does it work for RM letters/large letters if I had proof of postage?

I do my postage through royal mail online and then print of a bulk proof of posting form when I hand my parcels in to the post office counter they stamp the form then you are suppose to be covered to put a claim in without that form you have no chance hope this helps

Whilst I acknowledge you may be correct in that Amazon ‘may’ interpret this situation as you see it, I still believe that by the letter of their Policy in this instance that you are not correct.

1. First, the seller would not be using the phone number provided by Amazon - there is not one - and if there was it would likely be that of the dropshipper.
  2. Surely the “logistics side of delivery” is exactly why the seller would be contacting the recipient, to ensure delivery was a success.
  3. As any experienced Amazon seller will tell you, those SS staff that speak to us are THE least well informed persons on the planet and use a template response sheet to tell sellers what they think a seller wants to hear just to get them off the phone, regardless of what is true.
  4. I am yet to find anything in writing on Amazon Policy or Help Pages which specifically defines the phone use as for this thread issue as being outside policy.
    Perhaps you could provide a link or quote to show I am wrong?

If you refund the last 2 orders, then they cannot raise an A-Z Claim against those 2 orders, as likely to get A-Z.

ALWAYS send all orders with as a minimum proof of delivery, eg tracking, or signed for.

Drop Shippers tend not to claim if they know the item was delivered.

Thanks for your suggestion to refund the last two orders so that the “customer” cannot raise an A-Z claim against them. Much as it grieved me I have done that. I’d rather take the loss than have the worry of more claims coming in as I’m sure they will.

Yes, very annoying for you.

I suggest for the future a Royal Mail Business Account, as you get free 2d barcoded post deliveries. Just scanned at point of delivery, but you can see that like a tracking number on the RM website, then very few people claim non delivery

Thanks for your suggestion. We send the bulk of our stock into Amazon and they fulfill our orders. We do also have a Royal Mail Business Account but haven’t progressed beyond rubber stamping the orders, putting them in a sack and the postman picks them up from us - I know “pathetic”. :grinning: That’s worked well for us for years though with only a tiny amount of items going missing - so small as to be negligible - but I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and find out more about simple tracking and how we do it.

Thank goodness it’s Friday night. I’ve got a great excuse to open a bottle of wine. Cheers.

I have had two replies from people that I sent the maps out to on behalf of a third party where the “customer” had put an A-Z claim in saying the order was not received. Both had purchased through the same seller on Amazon - I have the name of the store, it’s based in the USA - and both had received their maps.

I’m not sure what I can do about it within Amazon’s guide lines. Suggestions would be very welcome.

I believe you appeal the A-Z claims - using Appeal button if not already used, or by writing email to seller performance, including copies of the evidence from the recipients to prove the ‘buyer’ is making fraudulent claims.

Hi, this has happened to me. Watch out for anyone ordering under the name ‘Nor’ as they have made 2 fraudulent AZ claims against me in 3 days. I think they assumed I wouldn’t notice it was the same seller, as the addresses and names were different.

Happy Christmas all…