Amazon - Visa credit cards will not be accepted, starting 19 Jan, 2022

I’m sure that will be coming, And I wonder when we are forced to change our charge method will that trigger re-verification for potentially hundreds of us? Jeez you couldn’t make it up

I would imagine most buyers like myself have more than one card and will simply change to a debit card or mastercard alternative.

Yes. RBS notified me weeks ago that their Visa debit card will be changing. Their credit cards are already MasterCard anyway

It is real it was just on the news. My husband also got the email

Given that it’s not just Amazon ringing the changes with Visa, it might be a case of using muscle to back Visa into a corner. Apparently, their fees for credit card transactions are higher than all of the other major systems so it might just be a case of applying the thumbscrews. It is worth bearing in mind also that it is Visa credit cards, not debit cards which are affected

I find it more than a bit rich that Amazon are complaining about having to pay high fees when their own seller fees are extortionate.

I don’t think they’re extortionate; higher than most would like, maybe. They are comparable with other platforms and it’s the swing and the roundabout, depending on what you sell. Sometimes it’s a bit cheaper on other places and sometimes it isn’t. We all would prefer to pay less in fees but then none of us have had to shell out billions to make these companies what they are today. At the end of the day, everybody has to make a shekel or two.

All our stuff is now FBA and, on average, we get half the proceeds and Amazon gets the other half. Amazon has their costs from their half and we have ours from our half. Perfectly fine for doing no work other than preparation and sending boxes to FC’s.

Everybody has to make their own choices, of course, based on their own particular circumstances

Oh the irony of Amazon, who charge high fees, throwing their toys out of their pram because Visa are charging high fees.

All in preparation for the start of Crypto payments

I hope not. I’m quite happy if it cost them more to process my Visa card.

It’s not like they’ve done anything to reduce my costs lately.

I am guessing that the high charges that Amazon are moaning about are to do with the fact that when you buy on Amazon UK you are actually paying Amazon Luxemburg due to their convoluted tax avoidance way of doing things and so a cross border fee is due. Perhaps if we were paying the UK company instead this nonsense wouldn’t be happening

I received the email with the header but lacked the content. I wonder how many other customers dismissed it as a scam or worried about it and haven’t seen news coverage.

It’s annoying as my only credit card is Visa and HSBC imposed a change from Mastercard many years ago.

I’ve not had the email; just saw it by chance on BBC News when I was checking in on how Sophie Ellis-Bextor had done with her Dance-a-thon for Children in Need :grinning:

for Retro Emporium.

I wouldn’t have expected any other response from you being chief Amazon apologist.

The book selling fess on Amazon are extortionate especially for books below £5.00, when taking commission and standard RM postage into account, a sale below £5.00 will generally result in a loss to the seller. As a result I have deleted all books below this figure. The commission figure is often MORE than the sale price. NOWHERE else does this happen and to have a fee structure where commission is more than the value of the goods sold is ridiculous.

To save you the bother of replying, I know that I can sell elsewhere and I do, far more profitably, and I know this is Amazon and they can do what they like because its their ball and they can go home when they want to nah, nah na nah na. But is doesnt make it right

And I wouldn’t have expected anything else from you, being chief Amazon whinger. Why would anybody go to the bother of selling a book for under £5 anyway? I’d give it to a charity shop first. Presumably though, books that sell for more than £5 are making you money, yes, otherwise you wouldn’t be selling those either, would you?

Nobody wants to pay fees for anything, per se, but they know it’s part and parcel of selling on a platform. Many sellers on Ebay are up in arms because the changes to managed payments from PayPal have resulted in higher costs for them. It is what it is. We all have to pay for what we use. The secret is to determine what is worth selling and what isn’t.

Nothing to do with being an “Amazon apologist”, it’s about being a realist and a pragmatist. If I want to sell my goods, I have to pay for the privilege. I can choose to pay or or I can choose to walk. If I make money, I pay; if I lose money, I walk. It’s a system I would strongly recommend to you

And I thought that was me…

I’m offended… :hushed:

Nah, you’re just a fruitcake who likes punishment :laughing::rofl::joy:

Seriously though, the thread was about Visa Credit cards being removed as an option to pay but then it morphs into a convo about Amazon fees. Two quite distinctly different topics, methinks. Plus, I think the booksellers do have a particularly harder time on Amazon than other types of sellers, so I do have some sympathy, in the main, with their predicament. I still wouldn’t sell a book for a fiver though. Not worth the hassle, surely, is it? Or am I missing something?

I’m rarely in here these days (the legs take up far too much of my time, unfortunately). However, I’m sure if I have missed something, there will be plenty of responses to bring me up to speed :smiley:

I’ll take that…

This is great! If amazon lose only a few customers then it’s a good thing

Hopefully Visa don’t cave in

I do - and i sell a fair few too :wink:. To be honest for the lower end of books i’m less interested in the percentage Amazon take and more interested in the amount i make over the cost price.

As for Visa (credit), there does seem to be shift in recent years away from them being so dominant.