user profile
Sign in
user profile

Anyone Registered for the New German Tax Certificate now in Jan 2019?

by Seller_BgKbtb0cerTCs

Hi, I would like to hear from anyone who is not VAT registered in Germany and who has now in the last 2 months registered for the new German Tax certificate.

Can you share the process if you did it yourself?

Tags: Registration, Taxes
653 replies
653 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_rAdXBFR6qwF2n
In reply to: Seller_BgKbtb0cerTCs’s post

Hi - we would also very much appreciate some help on this matter,

We are not VAT registered, but need to apply too - can anyone help?

user profile
Seller_qCHuTn5dPLaer

You do not need the certificate if you are not VAT registered in Germany.

user profile
Seller_HNAfOHmB0ft30

Amazon request that if you sell to Germany then you need a tax certificate regardless of threshold or whether you’re VAT registered in the UK. Seller central has said as much . The problem is, the German tax office will not process a request for a tax certificate if you are not VAT registered in Germany. Im still waiting for some sort of clarification before i do anything. The whole thing is ridiculous

user profile
Seller_sFEUMUfeW5484

There are two things at play here. Firstly any actual legal requirement you may or may not have as a seller shipping goods to Germany. This is something you should discuss with a business tax/vat advisor.

Secondly is Amazons requirement, apparently saying you will need a tax certificate and/or vat registration from March to stay on thier platform.

Knowing Amazon, it is VERY likely that their requirement will exceed what is required by law. So I am working on the premise that if you want to sell into Germany, then get registered.

I have just received a quote for registration, monthly returns and the end of year return, it came in at around £300 set up, £135 a month ish, total £2K a year.

user profile
Seller_BgKbtb0cerTCs

Okay I just got off the phone with a very informed guy at the German Tax Office.

He confirmed it is part of the new law that Every Company selling to Germany below or above the threshold must register with the Tax office.

I asked what does that mean?

He told me: " You must register that your company is selling to Germany, IT IS NOT VAT Registration. The registration provides sellers with a Trading number in Germany and allows the German Office to get data from Amazon and check if you need to be VAT registered. If you are below the threshold nothing happens they just check every year and when or if you hit the 100K then if you do not contact them they will contact you.

Here is the email with docs I got to fill in and provide to them for registration:

Dear Sirs and Madames,

For the VAT registration of a Bulgarian corporation (OOD, EOOD, EAD) I ask you to complete the following questionnaires in full, to sign it and send it back to the tax office (by post, email or fax).

Please note that the questionnaires are only available in German. A translation can not be provided by the tax office.

Please enclose an excerpt from the Bulgarian Commercial Register translated into German and a certificate of tax registration in Bulgaria translated into German.

For traders offering their goods via online marketplaces (Amazon, Ebay and others), I ask you to provide the seller name for each online marketplace. Furthermore, I ask you, if an own online shop side is operated, to indicate the appropriate URL.

A tax registration can only be made if the records are completely filed with the tax office.

For issuing a certificate acc. § 22f UStG I ask you to fill out the following form, to sign and to send back to the tax office.

Just so you know where I called I called the number for the tax office responsible for my country in the link that Amazon provided in their notice.

I would call your office and give them your email to send you the docs and requirements and register that way. The form Amazon provided is not telling us anything and might delay you getting your certificate in time going around in circles.

Best luck all, I am off work for Germany and then Lunch…

user profile
Seller_6p2KuKnPUeGFg

I assume that if I disabled any FBA exports to Germany and don’t accept sales from anyone internationally, Amazon isn’t going to make me register for this Tax Certificate correct?

user profile
Seller_lX5iK1RrtMKqc

This is the first I have heard about this. Does it apply even if you do not keep goods in Germany FBA?

user profile
Seller_ftMMn0UeA4IQP

Doesnt this suggest that you dont need it if you are below the threshold?

https://www.simplyvat.com/news-german-amazon-marketplace-sellers-obligated-to-register-for-vat/

user profile
Seller_y4HgUrlcFuGH1

Thanks for sharing all this info doozy.
Anyone know where to email the completed form to please? (The form that Amazon have provided for this.)

user profile
Seller_iYCrwoyqEYtxD

Another reason that Amazon may go hard on this - They can clearly see what everyone’s sales are on Amazon-… but not on ebay,or other e-commerce platforms so as far as they can see you might be under vat reg on Amazon / Not Pan EU…BUT selling a lot more on Ebay, and way over the threshold.

• and if the German TAX authorities add that together This can cause issues for Amazon. This new rules gives them the right to check the figures on the accounts.

The Form you fill in asks you to state ALL marketplaces and trading names.

I am vat reg in Germany, … but was told that everyone needs this new certificate whether vat reg or not. This is NOT vat reg.- This is simply registering your business in Germany… and they can / will check the e-commerce sites to make sure that you are paying the correct vat. (if needed )

Go to original post