Book sales for the last 7 days

For the last 7 days book sales have died (for me). I cannot quite fathom the extent of this fall. Any one has any insights?

Not really, Have had great sales over the last week and Monday was the best day I’ve had.

I am glad! So hoping the tide will turn for me soon! Admittedly have not been listing many new books though have been repricing like crazy. Thanks for giving me hope!!!

About 1/4 of my sales on Monday were books I had reduced as I’d had them for ages. The rest were recent uploads.

Hello Simones-books

My sales for the past week have also been unusually poor - but I tried assessing new stock this morning and Amazon’s searches were rediculous - even though the books were for sale here it took many searches to find them! It’s not surprising customer can’t order our books if they can’t find them on the system!

Added to which, I’ve had 1 sale for a book where there is another with exactly the same ISBN (and of course the other one is the one the Buyer wanted) and another where Amazon only lists the ISBN as a Hardback and i have the trade paper… !

Frustrating

Hope it improves soon for all of us

Best

Brian

I reprice constantly but truth be told have not uploaded many new books for sale. I buy about 70% of my books from second hand bookshops and they only recently have been open. Coronavirus . Hope things improve.

Thanks Brian, We are both in the same boat. However these lows don’t last for ever. Wishing us both an upswing!

My book sales have virtually died over the last 2 weeks. The nonsense of Amazon’s search engine doesn’t help but that has been in place for years and doesn’t explain this recent decline. I also don’t think the easing of lockdown is the explaimation

Same here, but I feel the search has got even worse, displaying several books first with not even any matching words, before the right one, if it even shows.

Don’t start me off on this subject!! Its not good for my blood pressure!. One of the many appalling features of the search engine that has started creeping in recently is “wrong category”. I have noticed recently that you might get ,say, 500 returns for your search. You can narrow it down to 50 by selecting books — but then loads of that 50 are clearly not books - very often they are clothing!

Clothing seems to come up in every media category you search. Seems rather suspicious to me and makes a mockery of the catalogue.

A new feature has appeared under the ‘inventory’ tab: “Listing Quality Dashboard”.
It appears I have forgotten to specify ‘neck style’, ‘sleeve type’, ‘material’ or ‘collar type’ for 3 or 4 books, or ‘breed recommendation’ for a another book.
The insanity intensifies.

Oh, for crying out loud - this is madness - I have 181 to do !

I have just looked, and like you asking ridiculous things for books - though I did notice the dropdown does have ‘Not applicable to this product’.

However, books asking for ‘compatible devices’, and brand name eg. Sony, Adidas.
A video box set asking for material, colour, thickness value !!
A gardening video asking for fabric type, closure type, fit type.
A book asking for colour, sleeve type, collar type etc etc …
…and so the madness goes on.

Is this another metric they are going to hit us with ?

This can happen when the original listing creator listed their book in an incorrect category or an incorrect merge or browse node/category change has occurred.

I had a CD listing suppressed because the bot decided it contravened the Adidas logo. I removed it from my inventory (even though the only copy had sold years ago).
I also have a few books supressed because I haven’t specified a ‘colour’. :frowning:

Amazon’s system is clearly borked…but we can’t give them a kick in the metrics like they do to us.
I tried contacting them to explain these are errors on Amazon’s part but they took it as a request to list more of the same…

July is generally the quietest month for books. It should pick up in the coming months. I like to have text books in my inventory ready for school season.
After the crazy lockdown period, my book sales have dropped off too. Like you, I’ve been struggling to source so sending nothing in. I have now managed to make a deal with a local charity shop, so I’m helping them and they’re helping me.
How many books are in your inventory?
Also - pay attention to your inventory performance index. Amazon are saying it needs to be above 500 by September. I’m currently sat on 437

The thing is Tracey, many of these are items that have been listed for a long time and were definitely in the correct category at the time.

Never even seen that ?!

There was an email and it’s in the news section:

Summary

Dear seller,

We are working to manage inventory performance to ensure all products have space available during peak. To enable this, we are changing the IPI minimum threshold requirement to 500. Sellers below 500 will be subject to limits effective 01 September 2020 through 31 December 2020.

Your Inventory Performance Index (IPI) score is x.

Because your IPI score is under 500, you are subject to storage volume limits from 01 September 2020, through 31 December 2020. To see your potential next period storage limits, go to the Inventory Performance Dashboard and expand your storage monitor. You have four weeks to improve your score to avoid these limits. If your IPI score is still less than 500 during Week 35 (the week of August 24), storage limits will take effect on 01 September 2020.

Sellers who maintain an IPI score of 500 or greater during either of the score checks are not subject to storage volume limits from 01 September 2020 through 31 December 2020. However, all products are currently subject to restock quantity limits. You can view quantity limits for your products on the Restock Inventory page and the Restock report.

Important: If your inventory volume exceeds your storage limit for a given storage type, you cannot create new FBA delivery for that storage type until your inventory level drops below your storage limit.

You will also be charged an inventory storage overage fee on the portion of your inventory that exceeds your storage limits. This is in addition to monthly inventory storage fees and, if applicable, long-term storage fees.
The overage fee will be charged monthly at £7.8 per cubic foot , based on the daily average volume of inventory that exceeded your storage limits throughout the month. We encourage you to avoid the fee by removing inventory or increasing your sell-through to meet your storage limits.

Free inventory removal promotion

For a limited time we are offering a free removal promotion. We will waive your removal fees for any removal order that you submit for inventory in European fulfilment centres effective July 24, 2020, until we announce that this promotion has ended. If you have inventory for an ASIN that is slow-moving or has not been selling, you can remove it for free and avoid additional storage fees for it. To create a removal order, visit Inventory Age and choose Create removal order from the menu next to any FBA item in your inventory.

You will not be able to send us more units of any ASINs you remove during the free removal promotion for either 90 days from the removal date, or if the number of units in your inventory for the removed ASIN falls below the number of units sold within the last 90 days.

Ah, to do with FBA ? - not relevant to me then.