user profile
Sign in
user profile

Buyer wants to return an opened game they purchased new and sealed

by Seller_fr8NAE50hJfYa

Need help with options dealing with this buyer?

A buyer purchased a brand new and sealed ps4 game from me 16 days ago. It was dispatched the next day via royal mail first class recorded.
Now 2 weeks on they have opened a return request stating " Game loads and plays offline but can’t connect to online game"
I responded asking what error message they were getting when trying to connect to the online game but they have not responded. Now there are various reasons why they may not be able to connect on-line and most have nothing to do with the game.

Do I have accept the return as the value of a second hand game is 60% less than the game is new?

Tags: Returns
21 replies
21 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_QlN0mmCAFPtjZ
In reply to: Seller_fr8NAE50hJfYa’s post

[quote=“Derryck_Riding, post:1, topic:160525, full:true”]
Need help with options dealing with this buyer?

Do I have accept the return as the value of a second hand game is 60% less than the game is new?
[/quote]

You would need to follow Amazon’s ruling on returns . If within 30 Days customer can return for whatever reason . There are instances where you can charge a handling fee , however not sure it can be justified if the buyer claims there is a fault with the game . Whether there is a fault or not will be difficult to prove to Amazon and they will most likely find in the buyers favour .

Is there a special returns policy regarding games that prohibits returns ?

user profile
Seller_hC0hNVDuILaKO

New and sealed media is non returnable once opened IIRC, however that obviously does not include genuinely faulty items, which is your problem.
You may have to accept the return, examine the game and take it from there.
If found not faulty then you can deduct the return postage and a depreciation fee from the refund.
Best to make this clear from the start, perhaps by simply saying that on return of the game you will “Refund in line with Amazon policy”, which is a good catch all for this type of issue.

user profile
Seller_2BrPSydGy6oyq

As advised under Amazon returns policy it’s not eligible for return unless faulty;

Please note that you must return each item in the same condition in which you received it. This means that new items must be returned new, unused and complete.
The same exclusions apply to our Returns Guarantee as for the right if withdrawal. The following products thus cannot be returned under the Returns Guarantee (unless defective):
_ Sealed audio or video recordings or of sealed software if unsealed by you after delivery;_

If the game works offline, then it can’t be a fault with the game itself, so not faulty, whatever issue the buyer has connecting online is a totally different issue which is not the fault of the game but system/connection which the buyer needs to pursue with playstation help, or online forum for a fix.

If you accept back and on testing find no problem off, or online, then you have another issue to deal with?

user profile
Seller_9XWqPGRXeAg4Q

Common issue with latest gen consoles…the online functions require the user to install an update before online play. Usually about a 15gb download.

user profile
Seller_fr8NAE50hJfYa

Bit of an update and more help needed please.

The buyer never responded to any of my messages and opened an a-z against me. I represented my case and lost. So had to agree the return within 3 days or Amazon would refund the buyer anyway. So I did approved the return with the message to the buyer that it was against my will but had to accept the return due to losing the case.

2 days later I got another e-mail from Amazon saying the buyer had now been denied the claim and it has gone in my favour.
True enough the money is back in my account so great.

Now another 2 days later I received a signed for package. The buyer has returned the game for a refund.

What am I supposed to do now?

user profile
Seller_YG9h4AQdoZCkr

Correct me if I’m wrong but the game not connecting to online is nothing to do with the game but rather the buyer’s account? Or PS4’s server?

I’ve never returned a game because it won’t play online. As far as I would be concerned - the game works fine and therefore is ineligible for a return as it’s been opened.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post