user profile
Sign in
user profile

Customer demands refund of shipping costs!

by Seller_UmiN1IyD9F9EV

I have a customer in Dubai.

Before they purchased the order the specifically asked if I would waive the shipping costs as it was very expensive for them.

This is an expensive item circa £200.

I replied that ‘Unfortunately customs import duties, taxes and admin fees are not in my control. These need to be paid to UPS before the package is released from customs’

‘This cost is out of my control I’m afraid.’

The reply was

I meant the shipping costs not the import duties.

I replied that I could not adjust the shipping costs as it is very expensive to ship to the UAE.

Anyhow they place the order and it has arrived next day in the UAE.

So far I’ve received 3 requests to refund the shipping costs as the customer has had to pay 50 euros extra costs. WTF!

You know when you just know the customer is going to be a problem.

So far I have replied politely that I did make them aware there would be extra cost incurred to import goods of this value into the UAE but I keep getting requests from amazon to resolve this with the customer.

How would you handle this ?

I obviously don’t want to refund anything as I have been upfront and professional from the start.

I know the next step I will now probably get hit with a negative feedback.

I almost want them to open an A-Z as I’m sure they would find in my favour as it’s all there in the message thread.

Gggrrrrrrr.

Tags: Packaging, Shipping, Shipping costs, UPS
70 replies
70 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_EJIX7rqDNQJi2
In reply to: Seller_UmiN1IyD9F9EV’s post

Don’t worry, you are not required to refund anything without a return.

Since the buyer contacted you to demand a refund, just provide him your return address and state that you will refund upon receiving the item back.

Any potential A-Z claim will be very easy to win.

user profile
Seller_zufJX0OXYhZdA

It doesn’t help you now but I always refuse orders where the buyer has tried it on even before ordering.

user profile
Seller_WAakuoXYnCguy

This post is not longer …

user profile
Seller_oGFKRixtdkjxL

We’d log the issue with SS and SP in case of an A-Z, stating the buyer is demanding a part refund out of policy. In your situation we’d prep for a negative FB comment. They clearly want the item, but simply don’t like the cost of dispatch/import. Hope they mention FB, as then it would be FB extortion. Bet you they’ve done exactly the same thing with other sellers.

user profile
Seller_xUKHc5xSYJmI4

The customer accepted the price upon the placement of the order. Ask the customer to contact Amazon customer services because shipping costs are non refundable if the order is not returned.

user profile
Seller_bhSWqoVh7Pn98

This may assist you: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-3?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201895800&qid=1558395179&sr=1-3

Also for Amazon own selling: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-1?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201910420&qid=1558395179&sr=1-1

If you are VAT registered, and on the Vat Business Buyer scheme with Amazon, then VAT will not have been charged. If you charged VAT, then you are not supposed to have done, so that can be asked to be refunded, often pays for part or all of Customs Duty Fees. Amazon do not usually make you refund the Buyer, but it is 0% VAT to pay, so need to alter your VAT records.

Shipping should still be charged. Don’t refund, report the Buyer.

user profile
Seller_UmiN1IyD9F9EV

Predictably the buyer has now put in a return request!!

After accepting the import duties that would have been payable to the courier.

They will have used it a couple of times and decided for whatever reason it is not for them and then filed a return request under ’ Performance or quality not adequate’

I have so far had over 30 emails bouncing back and forth for one transaction!

The thing is they have paid over 85 euros in shipping and import duties just to get the item in the first place.

It is not faulty but basically the buyer has changed her mind and has deemed it not suitable.

user profile
Seller_UmiN1IyD9F9EV

The problem is buyers just expect a full refund as Amazon routinely just refund almost no questions asked on FBA orders regardless of the condition of the return. ( especially with cosmetics )

Buyers know they have the fall back if leaving negative feedback if they don’t get a 100% refund.

How many negs have you received as a result of deducting for a tatty return. ?

user profile
Seller_UmiN1IyD9F9EV

So I have a real live one here. !!!

Demanding I refund any return postage costs.

They baulked at the cost of shipping and the import costs then on realising the product maybe isn’t for them, demand I pay for a return because the product hasn’t met expectations.

I actual fact they have simply bought tried and it’s not suited them. It’s not faulty.

Now I receive an image of a scalp with no explanation.

Next it will be the buyer has damaged their hair using the item.

It goes on!!!

I’m just going to politely keep re iterating that a return is welcome and a refund will be applied accordingly once we receive the item back.

user profile
Seller_UmiN1IyD9F9EV

Boom!

A - Z claim .So delightfully predictable.

Customer issue: Different to what I ordered
Delivery estimate: 25 May 2019 - 20 June 2019
Customer comments: Return issue (no refund, replacement or insufficient credit)

Kika

Which template would you use for this one please?

Go to original post