Customers Asking for a Bill / Invoice?

I sell on the UK, Germany, Spain, France, Italy marketplaces and once in a while a customer will ask for a bill or an invoice. My understanding is that Amazon provides this somewhere. My questions are:

1. Is this related to VAT?
  2. What should I tell the customers?

Thanks guys! Much appreciated!

Mark

Are you VAT registered?

“Here is the Invoice that you requested”…

You make up an Invoice [examples can be found online easily enough] and email the customer a copy [PDF so that he can’t edit it]
If you are VAT registered then break the payment down to show the VAT element, if you are not then simply provide an invoice without a VAT element, and explain that as you are not VAT registered no VAT was charged.

I am VAT registered. Doesn’t Amazon automatically provide this somewhere? Thanks

Have you signed up to Amazon’s VAT calculation services?
If not then simply create a letterheaded VAT invoice for this buyer and email it over.

See https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers/invoices-what-they-must-include

I am signed up for Amazon’s VAT calculation services. If I understand this correctly, he should of already got an invoice but he can also download one in his orders page? Thanks

Yes, that’s correct. But he seems not to know that…

Great, got it. thanks guys! I appreciate the help!

Somebody asking for me?

Your’re 22 hours late Bill!
Go to the back of the queue and try harder next time :rofl:

I’m UK based and am not VAT registered company.
I’ve a German customer who has just asked for an invoice.

Do I have to set up my own invoice template and complete this to send to them?

Is there no easier way of doing this?

Is this a Business Customer?

Because otherwise it wouldn’t be mandatory for you to comply with the request.

See https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-taking-payment-from-customers: “If you sell a customer a product or a service, you need to give them an invoice (bill) by law if both you and the customer are registered for VAT (a business to business transaction).”

As you are not registered for VAT, you do not need to comply with the request for an invoice, but may if you wish (ensuring that there is no VAT element in the invoice, naturally, as you are not VAT registered).

Kika,

Thanks, they are not a business customer, so I’ll ignore.

Does this have any reflection on your sellers account though?

No, don’t worry. It doesn’t affect your account in any way as you are not required to provide invoices to non-Business customers.

It may not be a mandatory requirement, but would it hurt to comply and raise a simple invoice for this customer?
You might get negative feedback if you deny such a simple request for no good reason than that you can’t be bothered.

I’m in the same boat. I’m not VAT registered and often being asked for invoices.

As far as I can see, Amazon does automate an order summary which seems to contain the exact information you would provide had you raised a (Non VAT) invoice. For this reason I’m currently directing customers here.

Surely it’s not feasible to raise a manual invoice for every order?

I direct them there too, but advise them I’m willing to provide an invoice if they really want one.

We are unable to provide a VAT invoice as we’re not VAT registered. For most accounting purposes the order confirmation from Amazon will provide sufficient evidence of an expense. We can supply a non-VAT invoice but it will be very similar to the order confirmation. Please let us know whether you’d still like an invoice.

Wondering if it matters the country your VAT is registered. I see a lot of people mentioning they are NOT VAT Registered, but is that by country? It seems Amazon is requiring registration by country (UK, DE, etc.). My company is only registered in NL. Do I need to supply invoices to all business customers outside of NL? How do I know what VAT was charged to them (if any)?

They’re your customers you should know the VAT charged to them. If you’re dispatching to EU customers from NL and are only VAT registered in NL, then NL VAT applies.