Drop Shippers & Order Reports

Hi guys,

Since my last thread discussing A-Z claims (entered fraudulently by drop shippers), it became clear that proactively looking for drop shippers in your orders can be useful, potentially stopping anything going out should you want to make that call.

However, since looking at my Order Reports in detail, the vast majority of (at least potential) drop shippers have managed to change the ‘bill-name’ and associated ‘bill-address’ fields on the order. The only way of identifying them is the ‘buyer-name’.

My question is, how have they managed to do this? Surely the ‘bill-name’ and similar fields need to match the billing address of who’s paid? I can only think they are paying for the order with us but then taking their customer’s money elsewhere (making their cash in the difference between the two).

Not all drop shippers have done this but I’ve spotted at least a handful over the last couple of days. Were the ‘buyer-name’ column not shown I would simply not know what was going on - a slightly concerning situation and one that doesn’t exactly give the impression these drop shippers are acting legitimately.

Any theories or perhaps someone who has done this themselves that could help? I’ve ended up chasing my tail looking at reports and invoices trying to figure it out.

Are you sure you are not mistaken in that?

If you are not mistaken you’ve stumbled across a potentially very serious issue which possibly indicates internal corruption…so let’s hope you are wrong!

I assume you are downloading order reports and converting them with excel or similar?

Yes, I’m downloading them from Orders > Order Reports (with the majority of columns enabled). It then downloads as a text file which I open in Excel.

Is there a chance the wrong fields are populating as Excel converts it?

So I’ve checked the text file itself and it’s the same (been using two orders from a suspected drop shipper to confirm). The end customer’s details are there twice, I would assume as billing address and shipping address.

When I look at the orders on Amazon, of course, the ‘Ship to’ field is the end customer but the ‘Contact Buyer’ is the drop shipper. Then looking at the invoice (that Amazon automatically generate) the billing and shipping details are the same and are the end customer.

This particular buyer has placed 42 orders with us over the last six weeks so I’m fairly sure they’re a drop shipper but the only hint of them on the order is the buyer name/contact buyer and the fact that all these orders show in the messaging system with them (as we confirm each order via a message to the buyer).

From your response @pudding_n_pie I’m guessing you’re as stumped as me - how is this possible?

Have you definitely enable ‘billing’ as well as ‘recipient address’ from the ‘Add or remove order report columns’ options ?
That should enable:

Billing name
Billing address (3 columns)
Billing county
Billing city
Billing state
Billing postal code
Billing country/region
Billing phone number

Fairly sure I’ve done it right, this is what it looks like in Amazon (and I haven’t changed it)

When in Excel I then have these columns, clearly showing the different recipient (ship) and billing columns

Well that certainly looks right.

I will keep an eye out for these myterious dropship orders.

Have you tried placing an order yourself and changing the billing address…can abort before making the payment, but would confirm if the buyer (dropshipper) can change it, or if they are using software to insert the delivery address as also the billing address, if it can’t be done manually?

That’s a good idea - and definitely something to try.

I’m just a little shocked that it seems few other sellers have experienced this and in the two handfuls of drop shippers we’ve had over the last few months almost all have changed the addresses in this way.

To be honest, I was hoping someone who might have done this themselves might be able to comment. I know that in most cases drop shippers are completely legitimate and as always there’s just a few rotten apples (like anything really).

Not sure I could agree dropshippers who list your stock elsewhere without permission, or agreement, can be viewed as legitimate, where it becomes illegal is when they claim INR on orders that are actually delivered.

The only legitimate dropshippers are those who by agreement list manufacturers/suppliers stock which the ‘manufacturer/supplier’ delivers to the end customer…all above board.

Fair point, I meant more that the majority won’t actively work to sabotage you for their own immediate benefit but I definitely see where you’re coming from.

(I was also trying to avoid scaring any drop shippers off that might explain how on earth these orders are being placed like this).

They never expose themselves, more so here as it’s against Amazon policy to dropship in this way, even if Amazon don’t appear to do anything to remove them.

You can change the billing name and address on your buyer account as you please. Your purchases still go through.

You can change the billing name and address on your buyer account as you please.

How do you know that? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Assuming you’re right, would that be practical (or possible) for every order if your orders run into hundreds or thousands per day?

Surely it would be flagged up in Amazon’s systems as suspicious activity…wouldn’t it? :thinking:

I found out by chance when I added my daughter to my buying account. Although she paid with my CC the billing address showed her name and her address.

But they would have to do it anyway for the delivery address and I believe it’s all automated, so they are not sat typing individual addresses…Amazon are seeing the sales and fees and given they appear to ignore the abuse of prime, I guess it takes ‘customer is king’ to another level?

I wonder if these dropship orders with billing address/delivery address the same - are perhaps being paid for with an amazon gift card?

and then the billing address is then ‘not so important’ and might just be automatically set the same as the delivery address?

Some of these dropshippers are buying from sellers on Amazon on an industrial scale, so I find it hard to believe they would be fiddling around with gift cards just to hide their real identity from those few sellers who know how to read order reports.

Having said that, K**a (she who must not be named) suggested that was how they were able to generate lots of fake feedbacks.

I’m not one for conspiracy theories but the fact that these dropshipping, ASIN duplicating hijackers are so prevalent and have been getting away with it for such a long time…you have to wonder if there isn’t some sort of internal corruption in play.

I can’t quite get my head around that. It seems like a gift for fraudsters and credit card thieves.

I always assumed the billing name/address had to be tied to the owner of the account.

Going back a year or so perhaps more. My son had his bank debit card used for purchases on Amazon. He only noticed when he checked his statement. He doesn’t have an Amazon buyer or seller account. When he informed his bank they told him to get a crime reference number which he did and the bank credited his account for the £300 or so.