Further Info On Royal Mail Confirmed Delivery

That’s correct. It’s only a small value item so the saving I make on postage at the moment is worth waiving my ability to claim compensation.

So, after checking with the customer if the item was left with a neighbour or left in a safe place, she confirmed no to both questions. Realising that I’m not able to prove at the moment if it was misdelivered, I informed her that I would issue a refund. I also informed her that I would not send a replacement as there was clearly some issue here and that I would have to report this case to Royal Mail so that her address gets flagged on their system as a possible problem address (I’m not sure if that’s a thing).

The outcome: the customer has now found her parcel behind a tree in the garden. I had already issued a refund but there was an option to cancel the refund on the order screen. Annoyingly I guess I’ll never find out if this customer was genuine.

Well, what a surprise !! :roll_eyes: - definitely trying it on - why would she even think to look behind a tree, and what postie would leave a parcel there ? - they should have at least left a card saying where the parcel was left.

Brilliant i fell about laughing :grinning::joy::rofl:
I had one with a letter she suddenly found it saying “in a cupboard next to her door that’s were the postman sometimes leave parcels”
Hello it was a letter pushes through your door you know the letterbox that google maps shows in your door.
Some really do try it on and are very experienced in pulling the wool.

I had one where the tracking wasn’t updating on a well known alternative site - about a month later the customer emails me to say it hadn’t arrived.

I went onto the Royal Mail site and copy pasted the tracking in, low and behold the tracking was showing the exact date and time the item was delivered.

Sent a message back to the seller with the details and the only reply I got back was “oh so it was”

Sometimes I think the tracking makes it easier by putting the idea in their head.

I purchased an item on a well known auction site the tracking showed as delivered but I didn’t revive it. When I opened a case with their customer support I was told the the tracking did show as delivered but there was no mention of what sorting office the item was delivered from which it should. Because of this I was refunded. Seems there is some Royal Mail dodgyness going on.

I had this where a customer claimed order not received and then found them selling it on eBay ! So I bought it off them on eBay, then opened a case saying how disappointed I was that I had “unfortunately” not received it hahahahahaha :smile:

Put it down as one of those things. Don’t bother chasing your tail going to Royal Mail as you can spend your time more productively. If the item is high value I would not recommend using Royal Mail 48 as Amazon do not class it as being received. eBay do but Amazon don’t.

Royal Mail 48 is good for averting those people who occasionally try it on and you can say it was delivered at x time and sometimes they will miraculously find the packet.

Sounds a lot like the time I had a buyer on eBay that claimed he didn’t get a large envelope (tracked) as he has no letterbox on his door so no one could put it through his door…

Done a quick street view search, found his house and luckily a 2 week old photo of his door which showed a letter box.

Sent him the photo and he made up a story about how his landlord broke into his house, replaced the door with a plate of wood and made his dog get lost in the process…

Checked the records of house sales… house is owned in his name… sent him a screenshot again and that was the end of it! LOL

I’ve had this happen a couple of times. On both occasions, the customer was being entirely truthful - it was showing as delivered, but it hadn’t been delivered to them.

On both occasions, I called Royal Mail business customer services, gave them the reference number and they checked the GPS records. One of them showed that the package had been delivered at the correct GPS location (but we found out to the wrong flat), and the other showed a GPS scan 3 streets away.

So, the customer can be telling the truth, and Royal Mail can provide further info if you ask them.

Lol, you should apply to be a detective!! Nice work

I like this tactic. I think will definitely put off some of the scammers

People forget that they leave traces on the internet. :wink:

I used to have to research background details of people applying for jobs at a previous daytime job and have learned a lot about how to triangulate information about people from that. :rofl:

And you’d be surprised the things people try to hide… but one can find!

Follow the Royal Mails claims process. How I understand their process, the postal worker will scan the order outside the customer door with the handheld terminal. The terminal will record the day, date and time and location of where the parcel was scanned. Now if the parcel was too large to push through the letterbox the postal worker should ask the customer to confirm his or her name before handing the parcel to the customer.

On rare occasions Royal Mail has delivered letters belonging to my neighbour. I just walk over and push it through their letterbox and inform the delivery office. It is a busy time of the year so mistakes do happen.

Whenever I get one like this, I use the following template. You will be amazed how many times the item gets found or I never hear from them again…

Hi

Thanks for your message, and I’m really dismayed to hear that it has not arrived yet as usually Royal Mail are fantastic.

I can confirm that I dispatched it to …on …as requested, and it should have been with you by …

Please can you check that the item has not been delivered to your neighbour, a ‘safe place’ on your property or local Post Depot in your absence (as sometimes the Postie will deliver there if they cannot get through your letterbox)? If there has also been issues with your local Sorting Office or depot, this can also delay delivery.

Understandably, the courier, Amazon and I take this very seriously as we are concerned that someone is stealing or unlawfully claiming your post so I will contact Action Fraud, Amazon and Royal Mail on your behalf to investigate further. Please can you let me know if it has not arrived by Mid-day tomorrow so I can do this for you? Please note that you may be required to make a statement – please can you advise a contact telephone number to give to them so they can ring you if any more information is required for their investigations?

Please let me know if the item arrives, and I’ll be happy to help further and raise the investigations for you.

Thanks

Tracy

Can you please confirm that this was just the RM24 or RM48 service and not tracked? I’ve had several conversations lately with my Royal Mail account manager who has informed me that GPS information is not possible!

Katie,

On both occasions,this was standard RM48 (not tracked) through our Click and Drop online account. I’ve had a few members of RM staff claim it isn’t possible, but then I tell them it’s been done before, and they either suddenly find it, or ask a colleague, and then they are able to do it. It’s fairly new, so not all the staff are aware of it.

This has happened to me when Royal Mail never left a calling card it was at the Royal mail depot in the retained section. Tell the customer to take the tracking number with them to the depot and ID to collect it.

I had this conversation with my RM account manager, the GPS details are recorded but they do not share this, however a few times I’ve got lucky and Royal Mail have shared the details. Each time they have been accurate, once at a neighbours and then located but most of the time at the recipients address who funnily enough then managed to find it. The places people find missing mail is boggling, we’ve had boots of cars, attics, sisters house, under dog basket, child hid it etc etc :joy:

Hi when we get an issue like this, we tell the customer we will contact royal mail (RM can provide a gps coordinates to within 10 meters of the address for 2D barcodes) and if they still deny delivery we say exactly the same, we will report the delivery address to royal mail so they can monitor the address 9 times out of 10 they find the parcel straight away. Therefore, internet companies need to be allowed to share certain information of customers (financial services share information such as fraud etc). We would have a level playing field against Fraud, problematic customers.