user profile
Sign in
user profile

German Tax certificate

by Seller_n3kq7gcIclCDM

I am a bit confused about this German Tax Certificate which Amazon say you need to apply for if you sell goods in Germany. I have a German VAT number already and do currently sell in Germany with PAN-EU but is this certificate something different?

I have asked Avalara who responded saying that I have a German Vat certificate and am already registered in Germany so there is nothing else to do.

The guidance on Amazon says - You need to be tax-registered in Germany with a valid Tax ID (Steuernummer) in order to be able to apply for a Tax Certificate in Germany

I have a Steuernummer but this makes it sound like the Certificate is something else.

Are Avalara wrong?

Tags: Registration, Taxes
312 replies
312 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_BgKbtb0cerTCs
In reply to: Seller_n3kq7gcIclCDM’s post

If you are already VAT registered it is very easy for you to just fill in the form from Amazon and email it to the Tax Office and get your clearance Tax Certificate:

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/G/02/AmazonServices/Site/UK/Product/VATServicesbyAmazon/vat-services-by-amazon/Contact_Details_of_German_Tax_Offices.CB1198675309.pdf?ref=hlpn_1_5476379302692509371_1

https://sellercentral.amazon.de/gp/headlines.html#5476379302692509371

Information for British and Northern Irish taxpayers
Responsible and contact: Finanzamt Hannover-Nord
==> http://www.lstn.niedersachsen.de/steuer/steuermerkblaetter_und_broschueren/informationen-fuer-britische-und-nordirische-steuerpflichtige-68031.html37

Mail to: poststelle@fa-h-no.niedersachsen.de

user profile
Seller_saK5Ah2SaNYjL

Avalara are wrong, what a surprise! This is from my tax adviser and is CORRECT:

Effective from 1 January 2019, new German legislation was implemented that results in Amazon being jointly liable for their sellers taxes if unpaid. If you have any activity in Germany then Amazon will enforce that you become immediately registered (if not already) to ensure full compliance. Even though you are already VAT registered, you will need to present a newly issued Tax certificate.

This Tax certificate (Officially called: Bescheinigung uber die Erfassung als Steuerpflichtiger (Unternehmer) im Sinne von 22f Abs. 1 Statz 2 UstG) is not the same as the VAT certificate you have already been provided as part of your German registration.

user profile
Seller_n3kq7gcIclCDM

That’s great. Thank you for the advice - I suspected that Avalara were wrong, as you say, what a surprise!!

user profile
Seller_Yja9oH7DLHk2I

I contacted Amazon and they said that there was no need to do anything if I have a German VAT number.

It is so frustrating when everyone gives a different answer.

user profile
Seller_L3E8iknKXqZNV

Interesting.

well I am not vat reg and will post likely pull my half a dozen items off amazon.de come 1 mar

user profile
Seller_JcpwsBRvGsmiR

Hi

Does this also apply if you are VAT registered in the UK

user profile
Seller_JcpwsBRvGsmiR

What does this mean please?

user profile
Seller_y1oOV7IRdwzeB

Has anyone made the application for the Tax Certificate and received anything back yet? I did the application a few days ago and had an auto response to say it had been received, but nothing else yet. Just wondering about timescales?

user profile
Seller_gN9g34EIWgbQI

I’ve downloaded the form too, but I’m not sure about this:

“Name and address of the authorised recipient in Germany as set out in section 22f (1), fourth sentence of the VAT Act, where necessary)”

I read it as I have to have an agent based in Germany as I am not a resident of Germany, nor have a registered office or business management in Germany. So how do I fill this bit out? where do I find an agent?

user profile
Seller_gN9g34EIWgbQI

Ah, so as I’m resident in UK and UK is still member of EU (at the moment!), I don’t need to fill the authorised recipient bit in?

Go to original post