How long should it take to register for VAT in Germany

I am using the company Avask (recommended by Amazon) to register my business for VAT in the 6 European countries amazon ship FBA to. After 9 months they have 5 certificates although the Spanish one was rejected by amazon and I still do not have the German one.
Please can anybody tell me how long this process usually takes?
Are there any other sole traders that have a problem with the Spanish only issuing the certificate in your private name and any answers to this problem please?

Account block - 30 days to remove inventory from Amazon.DE Germany

The VAT registration process usually takes around 3 weeks in Germany before the VAT identification number is granted. But it also depends on whether you use a good VAT services company or not.

Have you contacted Avask over the issues you are having? Because Amazon won’t be able to help and the company specializes in VAT registrations for sellers, so should be able to advise you, since you paid them.

Thank you, yes I have asked Avask many times! I will try again.

@Silver_Style1 I am in the same boat. Started the process at the end of January.

We had AVASK incorporate a company in the UK for us. Seems overall like the “simplest” solution

Thank you for your answer, unfortunately I already have 5 out of 6 countries done in my private name and Avask are saying it would take as long again to change that to a business name. I asked them on day one if it was best if I formed a limited company and they never answered, now I realise I should have done.

We have been waiting over 12 weeks for our Germany VAT certificate. We are using VATGlobal. The German Tax Office have advised VATGlobal they are currently back logged and will process our application as soon as possible!!

I was hoping it would not be much longer but disheartened to hear @Silver_Style1 has been waiting 9 months.

@Silver_Style1 Have you had any feedback from Germany as to why your VAT registration is taking so long?

Matt

Thank you for your answer, I am only working through Avask and they tell me the Germans always take a long time, however I feel Avask have just been incredibly slow and in my case made a huge mistake by not agreeing with me that I needed to form a limited company for this as now my Spanish certificate is in my private name and amazon won’t accept it. How I wish I could afford to give amazon up, the constant stress is just too much.

Hi Silver_Style1,

Unfortunately the German tax authority are currently taking longer to process VAT registration applications due to a huge backlog (partly due to the volume of registration requests from Amazon sellers). 9 months is a long time though and it should take around 3 weeks under normal circumstances, as Kika said.

It is perfectly possible to trade throughout Europe as a sole trader. There is a two stage process to VAT registering in Spain. The first step is to obtain an NIE (as an individual or a NIF as a company). This allows you to trade in Spain. The second step is to obtain a full valid VAT number. This typically comes some weeks/months later and must be specifically requested when registering (on the Form 036). The VAT number is only granted if you are conducting cross border trade and sometimes the tax authority will ask for documents proving that you have done this (e.g. shipping documents, invoices etc). It may be the NIE that you have received and Amazon would like to see your full valid VAT number. Did Amazon say what was the problem with the document you provided?

@Silver_Style1 We just got our VAT Number for Spain from AVASK yesterday and had the same problem. I Checked with them and got this response:

Please input the Spanish VAT number as a local number (not inter-eu) and it will work.

Vies does not show local numbers and because you are not a Spanish citizen, this is the only VAT number that can be obtained.

Amazon will ask for a certificate to be uploaded. I uploaded our NIF certificate. The VAT number was verified in less than 15min.

Thank you very much for your help, my problem is that the Spanish will only give me the certificate in my private name “Heather Needham” without the word “silver” after it as I am a sole trader. Amazon will not accept the certificate without the word silver on it and tell me to get the Spanish to change it, Avask says they will not unless I’m Ltd. I have now formed a limited company but Avask says that does not help as the 6 European countries will take another 9 months to make a new certificate for that.
Amazon is saying I should remove the word silver from my business name but you cannot do it on one country only so then they will reject the other 6 certificates. I feel the main problem is that I cannot get to speak to anyone senior at amazon.

Thank you very much for your reply, apologies for my delay in thanking you, I was hoping to get some good news about this, but sadly not.
Yes the problem is with my business name “Heather Needham Silver” and the Spanish will only give me the certificate in my private name as I am a sole trader
“Heather Needham”.
Amazon will not accept the certificate without the word silver on it and tell me to get the Spanish to change it, Avask says they will not unless I’m Ltd. I have now formed a limited company but Avask says that does not help as the 6 European countries will take another 9 months to make a new certificate for that.
Amazon is saying I should remove the word silver from my business name but you cannot do it on one country only so then they will reject the other 6 certificates. I feel the main problem is that I cannot get to speak to anyone senior at amazon.
We did do the form 036 but of course that only has my private name on as well, I don’t know if Avask should have put my business name on that or if they are correct that the Spanish would not accept that.

Morning all,

We are still waiting our German VAT certificate. Now over 5 months. The German VAT office says there is a backlog and cannot give a date. This is one huge backlog when they were taking around 3 to 4 weeks earlier in the year. I can’t help thinking Brexit has something to do with the delay :roll_eyes:

Good grief - Brexit gets the blame again!!

Silly me for mentioning the ‘B’ word. Seriously though, if anyone does have any info on what is causing the German VAT office delays I would love to know. We manufacture our own product and I was really hoping to get FBA stock into DE before Christmas.

@ Silver_Style1 and ievk Are you still waiting your German VAT number after 10 months?

We’ve finally got ours after 9 months - I am just told they had a backlog.

Thanks for the update. I may have mine before the year is out :slight_smile:

closed #17

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.