user profile
Sign in
user profile

Invalid UK VAT Number email

by Seller_gN9g34EIWgbQI

I have received this e-mail, but am unsure if it is genuine or not. I don’t want to click on links until I know.

I have looked in my notifications, but it isn’t in there, though with the last message from Amazon regarding category changes, that does not seem to mean anything anymore.

The email address looks like it could be a real one: {removed by Amazon}

The information in the message is correct, my VAT number is registered in my name as I was an entertainer and VAT registered before I started Party2u. But I don’t know if it is easy for anyone to obtain that information.

Here is the e-mail:

Dear Seller,

We reviewed the UK VAT number {removed by Amazon} that you submitted in Seller Central but were unable to verify that it belongs to your business as the legal name in the VAT registration does not match your Seller Central legal name.

Legal name listed in VIES: {removed by Amazon}
Legal name listed in Amazon Seller Central: {removed by Amazon}

We have removed the VAT number from your public seller profile.

If this UK VAT Number does belong to your business, and you can provide evidence of ownership of this VAT number, please email {removed by Amazon}. Please provide your UK VAT number, your Amazon legal seller name, an explanation of the reason for any difference with the Legal name stated in VIES, a copy of your VAT registration certificate from HMRC or VAT group certificate (if applicable), and a copy of any relevant company incorporation documents that can evidence ownership.

Upload your valid VAT numbers to Seller Central here:{removed by Amazon}

You can sign up for VAT registration and filings with VAT Services on Amazon here: {removed by Amazon}

To learn more about VAT, please see our VAT resources page.
You can learn more about how the legislation might affect you by looking at the latest HMRC guidance.

Regards,
Amazon Services Europe S.a.r.l.

Tags: Address, Registration, Seller Central, Verification
515 replies
515 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_tjsuNtBUM3Q3O
In reply to: Seller_gN9g34EIWgbQI’s post

I have just received this email also but no notification on Amazon.
I have contacted Amazon via seller help so I wont do anything until they reply.

user profile
Seller_Jj3RbP7yEYxg1

I’ve just received this email too ?

user profile
Seller_EHYOwAkoZV3Hb

me too. On phone to support now.

user profile
Seller_ejwc84JNL5Uk6

Would a common theme here be that all these Vat numbers are registered to a different name to that entered with Amazon as the business name? As OP says - his Vat number was registered to him personally rather than in his Amazon business name. Is this applicable to everyone else reporting getting this email?

user profile
Seller_WrjjZilchkap8

Same here - will follow this closely along with everyone else. x

user profile
Seller_D1ec8BvoUE8BJ

We got this this morning as well. The only weird thing was it went to an info@ email address that we don’t have linked onto this account anymore (that i can see!) and there’s no notification in seller central.
As it is, we have contacted seller support who said we weren’t the first people to ask this, this morning but they didn’t know anything for sure.

My accountant has already responded before I had a chance to stop them, so fingers crossed! ha

user profile
Seller_tjsuNtBUM3Q3O

I have just pulled out my VAT certificate and it has both my name and my business name on it

user profile
Seller_4ry38Hbz6pdp6

Also had this email, also a sole trader so following. I do think it is legitimate as the details they had for both my VAT reg and business name as shown in the business and contact information is correct.

I feel slightly better now you all have the same email, I had an immediate feeling of doom about verification when I saw it

user profile
Seller_EHYOwAkoZV3Hb

Isn’t it appalling that, yet again, an important communication (I believe it’s genuine, the links belong to Amazon Legal Dept) is sent to us with spam characteristics:

a) Dear Seller
b) not showing in our official notifications

@Jessica - please pass on this concern to the powers of be on behalf of sellers

user profile
Seller_YDPIfu5nDA4Oi

I got this email too, Mine was our VIES name is R M and out legal name is R and M and so theres a miss match. Ill hold of until someone its a true amazon email

Go to original post