iOSS VAT from July

That is my understanding yes - only goods over 150 attract duty. You cannot use the IOSS system for goods over 150. You still have to use the ‘old’ methods with full customs declarations etc.

As for your VAT registrations in France and Italy - as long as you do not store goods in the EU and send just from the UK and the goods are always under 150 - then no I do not think you need those registrations (but please confirm with an accountant).

If you only sell via online marketplaces (such as Amazon) you dont need your own IOSS number as the marketplace will now collect the VAT and you send goods under their IOSS number.

You only need a personal IOSS number if you are selling from your own website AND want to send the goods pre-paid of VAT. There are alternatives to this too - such as using a company that will do the VAT part for you and you use their IOSS number.

You can also just send goods sold from your own website as DDU - and the buyer will be charged VAT before delivery.

I had it confirmed by Royal Mail that you only need to sort per service (Tracked, Signed, Tracked and Signed). All countries (EU and ROW) all in the same sack now.

They do have slightly different rates for different countries though.

Does anyone know if Amazon fees are charged on their tax inclusive price seeing as they are the ones adding and collecting the taxes!?

It does seem to me that they are!

Thanks, that is very useful information.

I currently have an issue with Amazon though. I have de-registered for VAT in Germany (as I’ve stopped doing FBA there and we’re under the registration threshold) - Amazon has picked up the fact our registered number is no longer valid, and they are saying they will suspend my account unless I replace it with a valid one.

We no longer need to be registered in Germany, but Amazon does not appear to have a mechanism whereby you can remove your VAT registration once you’ve added it. I have opened a case with German seller central asking them to resolve this but I’ve been waiting weeks for a answer. Has anyone else encountered this issue?

Don’t know for certain, but I think Amazon Fees are charged on the final sale price.

Hi everyone,

Has anyone experienced that their customers in EU being asked by mail services to pay VAT and handling charges even though IOSS numbers provided on the label and electronically passed to Royal Mail? We have received several emails today from Sweden (items were sold after 1st of July and all IOSS info provided), but still Swedish Post Requires payments :rage:

We’ve sent several hundred since IOSS went active and haven’t had any customers say this, yet anyway

However we’ve had a few complaints from customers where they’ve been asked to pay customs charges on orders placed 27/28/29/30 June so customs must be treating items from the point they see them, not from when they’ve been shipped

Or do as i did copy and paste them to note book and save so one click to access on my puter.

We have received 2 parcel back from Germany because they ‘Failed at export’.

Both purchased 28th June, and all have correct CN22 etc on them.

I despair sometimes. :roll_eyes:

We had all Austrian returned from late June because customs was incomplete… clearly they aren’t looking at the CN22s

Hello,

We are having a horrendous time with this, IOSS ref is on our label and sent via API, yet we are receiving issues from customers advising charges are being asked for, most of our items are below £30 and the rules as I understand are that if it’s not over 150 Euro, it isn’t subject to any duties. Our customers have put in negative feedback and Amazon won’t remove it, so our account is going to be suspended any time now if this keeps going.

Hi,

what are the order dates? Did you follow the instructions on RMs website for the API?

We are using the API too and the only ones that seem to be a problem are before 1st of July

All from 1st July onwards. We use Cloud Commerce Pro to dispatch and they in turn with Intersoft and Royal Mail sort the API out so it sends through the IOSS and other info. We have to manually add the IOSS on our labels at the moment as the company we use has not sorted it out yet. Honestly I have never been so stressed out in business.

What is the product code of the international service you are using? Not all of them are compatible with IOSS numbers, it could be you’re using one that isn’t so the data isn’t retrieved when they scan it at customs.

It’s DW1. We used to use PS9 max sort with the blue bags but were informed to be complaint for the IOSS changes we would need to start using DW1, everything gets put into one cage now for all the designated countries.

so how about in the future if Amazon were to lets say handle the tax on deliveries to South Africa who have a very high import tax on luxuries.

paying amazon commission on the tax element could easily wipe out all the margin for many sellers.

We have the same issues with CCP having to refund EU customers import duties after manually keying in the IOSS numbers on the address labels

Hi,

We aren’t refunding, I spoke to Royal Mail business and they confirmed yesterday they had a report that alot of EU customers are being charged by their countries customs incorrectly. They clarified our IOSS and CN23 information is all covered and it’s not our fault and many others are in the same boat.

I spoke to CCP after persisting and I got a call to explain Intersoft should be publishing a change around the 28th July to sort Royal Mail and the labels out so the information is printed. They have took information from me with regards to the Amazon order ID being visible on the shipping label and the pricing being vat exclusive, so they have all of this now and they know about it all.

I hope this helps you with your orders as well.
Royal Mail advise me to notify customers they have to apply for a refund from their country.

You know how that will pan out, right?

Yep, it’s gonna be fun and games