Is this for real? Next Stop, Amazon Dollars!

I’ve just received this on my personal Amazon account.

As it’s not April the 1st, I’m guessing Amazon will be looking to launch it’s own currency soon?

Starting 19 January, 2022, we will unfortunately no longer accept Visa credit cards issued in the UK, due to the high fees Visa charges for processing credit card transactions. You can still use debit cards (including Visa debit cards) and non-Visa credit cards like Mastercard, Amex, and Eurocard to make purchases. Please update your default payment method now, or add one of these new, eligible payment methods if you do not have one.

Yep!

SNAP! :grinning:

just as well my credit card is MasterCard then

Amazon holding data on how people spend? shocking… lol

I always thought Amex had the highest processing fee hence why a lot of retailers don’t take it…

But 60% your customers have visa…

Yes, me too. Guess what I use to pay for all my purchases from them? Guess what’s the only sort of credit card I have?
As a bricks and mortar retailer I take all forms of credit card, even Amex, because its a basic rule of business that you don’t make it hard for people to buy things. I set my prices with the knowledge of how much card processing costs in mind. Amazon evidently feel that they are above this and can dictate terms to Visa by threatening to withdraw their cards and that if they do, their customers will not be sufficiently annoyed to go elsewhere.
Perhaps they are right. We will see.

doh!!!
didn’t think of that!

Most UK banks are switching people’s cards over to Mastercard - something to do with fees (though I’m sure there is more to it). Already had two debit cards from two banks changed early from Visa to MC. Only got one CC and never use it, so we’ll see if HSBC change that to MC too soon. I suspect a lot of folk are over worrying.

Looking at the comments here not many sellers are thinking about their customers or lack of after this lol
Shocks incoming…

That’s exactly why I posted the thread…

Maybe Amazon Cryptocurrency is on its way?

I wouldn’t be at all surprised!!

We can all wait for all the pending orders to come in from people who can’t or don’t have another card to change to

Do you think customers will vote with their feet and find small businesses that accept all types of payment or do you think they will just change their method of payment?

Usually, Amazon makes choices that just affect the seller badly.

This time, they’ve got it majorly wrong and it affects both sides…

For the worlds most “Customer Centric” business, this is a very bad move…

Hello,

I am closing this thread as there is already a thread open for this discussion as mentioned by @Betsy : Amazon - Visa credit cards will not be accepted, starting 19 Jan, 2022

Thank you,
Jessica

closed #20