user profile
Sign in
user profile

Mandatory free returns on clothing and jewellery

by Seller_uJ1rvI84uuvPZ

I just want to clarify Amazons position on free returns on clothing. As far as I know Amazon made it mandatory for clothing, accessories and jewellery sellers to provide a free return regardless of the reason. I sell jewellery myself but it’s all FBA so I am now hit with a double fee when returns come in. If I do go back to MFN I will have to provide free returns according to amazon.

I bought a coat from an online shop on the marketplace and the arms are made for someone way taller than me which means unfortunately I have to return. When I opened the returns request I was told I need to pay for postage myself. I queried this with them and they told me it’s correct - they only offer free returns if bought from their own website, not from Amazon.

Could someone clarify this free returns policy please - is there one rule for one and one for others? As far as I am aware sellers should offer at least the same or better returns options than Amazon? Am I missing something?

Here’s the response I got from them:

In answer to your query, we can confirm that due to the associated costs and restrictions with selling on a third-party marketplace such as Amazon, customers only benefit with certain offers such as free returns if the order is made directly on our own site. Please note that all of the conditions of sale including our returns policy is provided on the Amazon site prior to order completion and it is therefore recommended that customers ensure they are aware of the seller terms before checkout.

In order to return goods to us you simply need to complete the reverse of the invoice, package the goods in suitable packaging and then return the parcel to us at the address stated on the reverse of the invoice. Please ensure that the invoice is included with the goods and that it has been completed in full, listing what it is that is being returned and why, as well as stating the product code of any items that you require to be sent to you in exchange of those returned to us. In the event that you no longer have your invoice, you will simply need to include a brief covering note that clearly states the first line of your address, postcode and order reference as well as the information that you would have stated on the reverse of the original invoice regarding the matter of replacement items etc, in which case we can confirm that this will suffice. Parcels should be posted to the address shown below via your preferred method and at cost to yourself.

Tags: Missing, Returns
84 replies
84 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_hC0hNVDuILaKO
In reply to: Seller_uJ1rvI84uuvPZ’s post

That seller is in breach of policy.
Just mention that if they fail to provide a free return as per the Amazon clothing policy you will be forced to open an A-Z claim for those costs.
If they don’t back down then open the claim.

user profile
Seller_x3BT9arv4ODzZ

They are in breach of policy for 2 counts here, firstly they have to offer Free returns, as its clothing, and secondly as they are promoting their own website, and giving an incentive for you to use this, which again is dodgy ground.

@Adrian is spot on with his advise - open an A-Z if you don’t get the free return, they have no form of defence as clearly they are either trying it on, or they have no concept of Amazon policy, either way they will not be able to defend this.

user profile
Seller_JB8wPCk9zkyad

Invite them to the forum !

user profile
Seller_uJ1rvI84uuvPZ

Thank you. I thought that was the case but just needed clarification. As a seller myself I don’t want to make life difficult for anyone but I ordered because I thought I could return it for free only to get that response. I know that policy has changed quite a while ago with jewellery added last September. I can’t say I’m happy with that but as a buyer myself I do like free shipping and now free returns as it makes life easier.

I will go back to them and give them one more chance.

user profile
Seller_c6A3eLqDSWDiU

Has anyone got a link to clarify that Merchant Fullfilled means Free Return Shipping.

Just looking through amazon help…

Free 30 Day Returns on Selected Fashion Items
Please review the following terms and conditions to check if your purchase qualifies for free return delivery:

The product was not sold and dispatched by a third party seller on Amazon.co.uk’s Marketplace platform. In some cases, the Free 30-Day Returns message will appear on an item that is sold by a third party seller. In such cases, on the product’s detail page, the product will be identified as ‘Fulfilled by Amazon’, meaning that the item was dispatched by Amazon.co.uk on behalf of a third-party seller. The item will therefore be eligible for Free 30-Day Returns.

and
About Free Returns On Fashion Items, Jewelry & Watches

Amazon.co.uk offers free returns on some items including clothes, shoes, jewellery and watches. Look for “Free returns” next to the price to confirm that the item qualifies for free returns.

user profile
Seller_uJ1rvI84uuvPZ

This was the email I got back in February to advise me I need to offer free returns. It also states “This supplements the free return delivery already offered for Clothing, Shoes and Handbags.”

Amazon Services Europe seller-info@amazon.co.uk
Wed, Feb 7, 10:02 AM
to me

Hello from Amazon Services Europe,

From September 5, 2018, Amazon.co.uk is changing its returns policy to offer free return delivery to customers on Jewellery, Watches and Luggage & Travel Accessories purchases sold on Amazon. This supplements the free return delivery already offered for Clothing, Shoes and Handbags.

Orders fulfilled by Amazon will offer free customer returns as per above. To ensure a consistent experience for customers and according to your seller agreement, your return policy must match or exceed Amazon’s return policy. This means that for Jewellery, Watches and Luggage & Travel Accessories, you will need to offer customers free return delivery for all orders fulfilled by you and placed from September 5, 2018.

To learn more about customer returns, please visit https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/help/G200708210.

Thank you,

Amazon Services Europe

user profile
Seller_DQfkgZNWeH1xJ

So…

If I sell clothing, i have to offer a free return? yes or no?

and if yes…I assume AZ take the funds automatically when i action the return? yes or no?

I don’t have pre-paid labels to offer the customer as they’re far too expensive and my RM account manager said i need to be sending x-amount of orders to qualify for pre-paid labels. In fact i need to be doing 1000’s of orders and also they need to be Signed-for and not normal postage!

I’m lost here!

user profile
Seller_d5xGVic0qWqw7

recently the policy has changed as i am required to offer FREE returns on prime order and a label is automatically sent to the customer for returns.
Regarding third party we need to match but for good customer service but only where free returns are advertised. This is to make it different form prime and SF orders. They just have not advertised it.

I also asked for a return request from amazon prime (fulfilled by prime) on clothing and was told i need to pay the return unless its damaged. So i can assure you even amazon customer service do nto give free returns on everything.

user profile
Seller_NcmZTOQBdksTC

Hi I got told that if it’s FBA you have to pay for returns, but if Fulfilling ourselves, then you don’t

user profile
Seller_LV3CF5gPeLdIt

I sell handbags and I do not provide free returns except when it was an obvious mistake from me or ‘item not as described’. When authorising returns, Amazon asks two questions:

• Whether I want to provide unpaid return label

• whether they should NOT show any return label to a customer.

I have not seen any policy that requires me to provide free returns

Go to original post