New Requirement: Country of Origin information required for your products

As I say above, when you are editing a book you’ll find it under the offers tab. You only need to enter this data if you are making a new listing after 22 August or want to edit an existing title from that date.

Thank you my ovine friend, that means i can train my guns wholly on avoiding covid and improving my VTR. The former is easily done, the latter…
BW. Gary

What happens if I reprice a book. Is that classed as editing? I run a 3rd party repricing software. It may reprice 5,000 books in one go. Will it mean all the 5000 books will be suspended from listing until I edit COO details?

We are in exactly the same boat … and like you we don’t know. However, I suspect your third-party software will be updated before 22 August to facilitate this change (as I expect ours to be - indeed, we use ours for listing too so it shall have to be amended or we’ll have to stop using it).

I take “editing” to mean anything you can’t do without clicking the “edit” button on the inventory interface and am rather optimistic that this does not include simple repricing, which can be done independently of that.

But who knows if Amazon has as yet even decided on the answer? Nowadays they make announcements about these changes then bungle them on the day.

Tx KMDP.
Think we will sit and watch on the 22nd onwards. Our repricer has the facility to stop amz repricing but allow other companies we list with to carry on. Lets hope what you suggest is correct. Last couple of years has been tough. Spent months trying to prove to a robot we are who we are whilst being suspended. Has happened twice. Had an apol from J Bezos office. ( hope its still going to run )
Managed to get VTR correct after weeks of looking on this forum. Now we have COO…

It is relatively simple to do COO now by means of the inventory upload mentioned in the link in the original notice at the top of this thread (i.e. https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/GASP7CFPVS9UCWKR), especially if the vast majority of your books have a COO of GB, which is likely (and they are not asking you to prove the COO, just to populate the data field). All you have to do is download the template and populate four columns with data (two of which have the same text in each cell) and one of which is simply your SKUs, then do the upload as instructed. It’s mostly copy and paste from an open listings report.

and how do they know where each product was made?

I’ve loaded a test file ( today the 22nd) through my repricing software to Amazon. The file was accepted. The book is now online for sale. I have not altered the way I upload and as far as I know the company I use have not modified anything. lol

Interesting. So it’s up there with no COO data showing? This makes an absolute nonsense of their announcement but … who’s surprised?

Or maybe they just don’t care about books?

Anyone else merrily uploading with no COO data?

Hello @Blue_Eyed_Boy,

The business team has asked me to reply to you with an answer. Each Selling Partner will be responsible for adding COO information to their own offers. If there is a conflict between what you input for COO and what is displaying on the Product Detail Page, then you should contact Seller Support for assistance.

Susan

@DVDGAMING_DIRECT1

Hello @Smiley_Guy,

Amazon will not be suspending accounts that do not provide this information. However, not doing so will have the following impact on your listings:

1. New Selection: Sellers will be unable to create new listings without selecting your product’s Country of Origin information from the drop-down menu.

2. Existing Selection: Sellers will be unable to edit existing listings until COO information has been provided.

To ensure your Amazon business continues to operate as usual and to maintain your ability to create and edit your listings, provide country of origin information for all your listings. You can find step-by-step instructions on how to update your COO on this help page.

For more information, refer to UK guidance for UK and EU guidance for EU Countries.

It is only possible to select one country as COO- information from the drop-down menu. In case you have two different suppliers from two different countries and therefore want to provide two different countries as COO-information we suggest that you provide COO information for the country where the bulk of your products are coming from.

If your supplier changes and thereby COO information, please update COO information accordingly. COO information can be updated in Seller Central via the drop down at any time.

Susan

@Reasonably_Seasoned, who asked:
So what happens when manufacturer’s switch production sites over time or have multiple production lines in different countries?

Hi all,

Please see further details that have been provided by the business team to some of the questions raised in this announcement.

@Homecare_Essentials1

These changes will be impacting all Selling Partners

Amazon is continuously working to improve listing quality and consistency within our detail pages. This enables Selling Partners to better describe their products and increases customer confidence to make more informed purchasing decisions. With that in mind, providing COO’ information will become a mandatory requirement. These changes will come into effect after August 22, 2021, after which your listings will be impacted in the following way:

1. New Selection: Sellers will be unable to create new listings without selecting your products Country of Origin information from the drop-down menu.

2. Existing Selection: Sellers will be unable to edit existing listings, until COO information has been provided

@suzy and @DVDGAMING_DIRECT1 New Requirement: Country of Origin information required for your products

As per UK government guidance:

‘Rules of origin determine where your goods originate from and which goods are covered in preference agreements. This means that the origin is the economic nationality of goods being imported and exported (where they have been produced or manufactured). It is not just where they have been shipped or bought from. If two or more countries are involved in the production, the goods are deemed to have originated in the country or territory where they were last substantially worked or processed.’

Country of origin (COO) rules require businesses to state the country where their goods originate in order to clear customs. The COO will determine whether your goods may qualify for preferential treatment. For example, reduced or zero rates of duty. The COO of a product is the country where the product was wholly obtained or manufactured.

Following the end of the Brexit transition period, all EU-exporting businesses to the UK and UK-exporting businesses to the EU will be required to provide COO information.

To ensure your Amazon business continues to operate as usual and to maintain your ability to create and edit your listings, provide country of origin information for all of your listings.

You can learn more about COO in our video in Seller Central. For more information, please refer to the following European Union and United Kingdom government guidance.

@MonkeyBoy

‘Edit’ refers to the listing as opposed to stock levels

@Little_Yellow_Box_Lt

You can update products one by one by finding the SKU you wish to update on the Manage Inventory tab and selecting Edit Listing. Depending on the product type, the Country of Origin drop-down list will feature in one of the following tabs: Compliance, Vital Info, Offer or more details tabs. If the COO Field is missing for an offer, you will be unable to save your changes and the tab where the COO Field is missing will be highlighted with a red exclamation mark.

1. Visit the Add Products via Upload page here
  2. Select the product type(s) for your listings, and then click on Generate Template
  3. Open the template you have just generated and populate four columns:
  • Column A feed_product_type: provide the product type of the ASIN for which you would like to update Country of Origin
  • Column B item_sku: provide the SKU for which you would like to update Country of Origin
  • update_delete column (column position will vary depending on product type): select PartialUpdate (this setting ensures that the values in your catalogue remain unchanged for attributes you are not populating in your template)
  • country_of_origin column (column position will vary depending on product type): provide the country of origin for your product
  1. Save a copy of the file
  2. Visit the Upload Your Inventory File page
  3. Under the File Type menu drop-down, select Inventory Files for Specific Categories
  4. Browse to find your file, and then click on upload

Thanks,
Jessica

Hi @Jessica
the current drop down list to select COO has almost every country of the world.
can we ask for United Kingdom, United States, China to be at the top of the list, it would make it so much easier and quicker.

All our products are UK sourced through UK distributors. Their products can be produced in the UK, China, Europe, USA. Some of the products can come from one or more of these countries and all, as far as we know, are packaged in the UK in the same packaging. As we source from only the UK is it acceptable to use UK as the COO

“If two or more countries are involved in the production, the goods are deemed to have originated in the country or territory where they were last substantially worked or processed”
So it depends on whether simply packaging constitutes “substantial processing”. I think I’d be inclined to say China etc, especially as that is what it will say on the packaging

Generally this only counts when new components are added to the item which are manufactured in the same country as the “substantial work or process”
i.e. if a product has all of its components manufactured in China and then assembled in the UK, the CoC is usually regarded as China. While if 80% of it is manufactured in China and 20% in the UK and the UK assembles it then it would usually be considered as originating from the UK.

Easiest way to look up the intricacies of the rules for this are by looking at several cases that were raised with the car industry, as many manufacturers have gone through courts in the past in order to have the rules clarified, due to how many different CoOs car components can have.

Usually packing or re-packing (i.e. changing a pack of 10 into a pack of 5) an item is not counted.

Generally your supplier will give you the country of origin for their products prior to selling them to you, check your suppliers’ catalogue/etc.

@Jessica just to reiterate this point it would make life much easier

@Jessica can I go further and ask that we can pick our favourite countries to appear at the top of the list.

For example I would like to have India and China at the top of the list, having the selection suggested in this post would only partly help me.

So lets take a vote then

UK
USA
Canada
Mexico
China
Hong Kong
Taiwan
Japan
Korea
India
Pakistan
Bangladesh
EU States in alphabetical order;
ROW in alphabetical order

I upload in bulk using standard bookloader and have done for years. I recently introduced a field country_of_origin and since then have been unable to upload listings successfully I uploaded a standard book loader additions file and get the Error-Code 90061 country_of_origin field is invalid.
Had no joy from Amazon help
In addition what COO do we use for Britain now is it GB? UK? or Great Britain -
The original file I supply still works on com site