user profile
Sign in
user profile

Reach Testing for Jewellery Sellers

by Seller_SwYx5mE5LJwnN

I’ve received a notification for three of my jewellery products, that they need REACH testing (metals testing) certificates or they will be removed from sale.

All of my products at Amazon Handmade are metal - either sterling silver or pure copper, and therefore I expect it is only a matter of time before my entire shop is shut down.

Small handmade sellers working with pure metals cannot possibly REACH test every single metal item they make and sell and therefore I presume this is Amazon Handmade saying that small crafts people who work with metal, are no longer welcome to sell at Amazon Handmade.

From REACH:

" Inspections for the eighth major Forum enforcement project have started. The project will check whether companies selling hazardous substances, mixtures, biocidal products and articles online in Member States and EEA countries comply with REACH, CLP and the Biocidal Products Regulation.

Helsinki, 20 January 2020 – The eighth major Forum enforcement project (REF-8) concentrating on the online sale of substances, mixtures and products has entered its operational phase and will run until 31 December 2020. 29 countries will participate in the project.

The project will target products for the general public and professionals, available in private companies’ webshops and in marketplace platforms, such as Amazon and eBay.

Inspectors will check if buyers are informed about the existence of hazardous substances before the purchase is completed and if particular aspects of the regulations are fulfilled. This can be checked by controlling the advertisement of a chemical product or by purchasing products and subsequently analysing them."

As usual Amazon are being very heavy handed by demanding a REACH certificate for products made from pure copper and 925 sterling silver, neither of which have ever been considered a chemical hazard.

Tags: Hazmat
265 replies
265 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_tNI3rIPY1HRP9
In reply to: Seller_SwYx5mE5LJwnN’s post

Hi, I’ve had the same message and what would appear to four randomly chosen items. Really not sure what to do about it. They are all earrings. One of the pairs has surgical steel fittings, the others have silver plated hooks… as does a vast vast amount of handmade earrings sold on Amazon Handmade.
I would not know how to even go about testing these items, … I’ve been selling for donkey’s year, on Ebay and have also sold on Etsy. I have never had a problem reported. Don’t know what to do? My instinct is to remove them just to save the hassle, and to ensure my account isn’t de-activated, but frankly I’m worried about doing that and them coming after the rest. Starting to look like Amazon is not going to be a viable venture for me if they are going to do this on a regular basis.
Is there anyone out there who can help advise on this please?

user profile
Seller_5BmbL9wJF7d3W

I’ve had this for approx. 60 novelty jewellery products. Looks like i will have to lose the listings as no way of providing safety certificates for them all. I would be interested to know if this counts against you in your metrics as Amazon make no mention of that?

user profile
Seller_qpVfDUT1Mu5Xe

I’ve literally just had this too. Has anyone posted in the main Amazon forum about this? The items of mine they’ve so far highlighted are stainless steel (I think one item also had crystals that have a silver plated surround on it).

I don’t know whether they’re looking for statements from who I buy my parts from with regards the metals or what.

user profile
Seller_7WLrNxqVNqkN2

We have had it too one half dozen handmade rope rings? We can prove anything one them? So I had to delete the listings.

user profile
Seller_rGNl7DgMf1CPH

I received 8 emails with anyting from one item to sixteen on for testing (around 45 items in total.

I upcycle watch movements, some up to 100 years old. Getting each of the various metals tested would push the prices way out of the means of my customers.

I thought at first that it was items that touch the skin, but they have included some of my brooches too.

user profile
Seller_1y9PYjveMaDoE

I have had 110 products flagged from around 500 - so I expect the others will be flagged eventually. I am not in handmade, but use small suppliers who don’t have a ready made Reach Certificate of any kind. So far this is only affecting two main suppliers, one has assured me there is no Cadmium, Nickel or Lead content, but is looking to get me "a declaration of its chemical makeup and kitemark from my pewter supplier "

Once I have this information I am not sure how to proceed. Do I email Amazon each individual ASIN (70 or so in total for this one supplier) and then hope 70 possibly different Amazon employees permit the listings or do I bulk send one email with all 70 asins on and hope some one accepts all the information provided and allows the listings to continue.

user profile
Seller_qpVfDUT1Mu5Xe

Where do we find the “Seller/Vendor ID”? As this is requested to be submitted with the rest of the information they want.

user profile
Seller_kxjCSaRc3CIcB

We also have many items flagged up by this. Will keep checking here to see if anyone is successful.

Thanks OP for starting this disucssion.

user profile
Seller_5Qk2OCkmLZ8H3

All jewellery products produced containing sterling silver should be REACH tested for cadmium content compliance and is obligatory not voluntary under regulation EU 494/2011, which was issued on 2nd May 2011, and became enforceable from 10th December 2011. If your hand made silver items contain a minimum of 7.78 grams of silver metal it should be hallmarked anyway so REACH testing is done at the same time. If you haven’t been complying with this regulation you have been trading illegally for 8 years so disagree with your assumption that Amazon are being a little heavy handed…

user profile
Seller_nuaDkDY6JhPob

I have also had this email - when i go into my seller account there are no notifications requesting this info so I asked amazon support if the email was real or spam and they said they couldnt see anything about it on my account and asked me to report the email address to stop-spoofing@amazon.com .

Unfortunately i dont completely trust that Amazon support has provided the correct info but atleast i have proof that i have followed up to see if i needed to take action on the email.

Go to original post