Ready to make first order, but

I just want to clarify the steps I need to take, as I have done eveyrthing in the planning stages. Would I be correct in saying:

1 – Make the AMZ Product Listing

2- Make my order with the manufacturer

3- Contact my freight forwarder , and share the shipping information with them

4 – Complete the shipping plan file for AMZ where you give them details of when the shipment will arrive, dimensions, etc

Any advice would be appreciated.

That’s more or less it.
But you will need your items labelling correctly, before shipping to Amazon.

If this is your first order, are you sure about shipping more than a couple of items direct to Amazon?
Have you checked quality etc first?
How do you know that you will sell all of said items, without testing the water first?

Are you aware of storage fees and so on?
If you haven’t even created a listing yet, do you know how much it will cost to sell and the FBA cost?

It really isn’t that simple, just to buy something from China etc, ship it into Amazon and expect it sell out. You also need to consider advertising costs or possibly selling really cheaply to get the item moving.

If it’s your first shipment I would advise to get it delivered to you first, then you send it to Amazon.

There are other things to consider:

• To list a product it’ll either need an existing barcode in the GS1 database, or you need to subscribe to GS1 yourself, or ask Amazon for a GTIN exemption
  • Import duty and VAT will need to be paid at the border if the goods are arriving from outside the EU.
  • The manufacturer might send substandard products and you’d have no way to check before they get into the hands of your customers.
  • Each item needs to have the GS1 barcode on or an Amazon FNSKU barcode. Sometimes only the FNSKU barcodes are permissible due to the product type. It’s generally recommended to use FNSKU barcodes as this separates your stock from other sellers.
  • When you do the shipping plan Amazon tell you where to send it - you don’t get to choose unless you’re willing to pay some fairly hefty fees.

Has every aspect of your Seller account been fully and completely verified, including your payment account ?
…and then all the other aspects that Barry has mentioned.

• I am currently in the process of getting some UPC Codes.
  • I have a freight forwarder who will be dealing with my shipments, and will handle things such as making sure the shipment fulfils Amazon’s requirements, quality checks…
  • I am aware of the each item needing a bar code, my supplier can do that once i provide them
    So the shipping plan would be one of the first things I have to do then?

Yes, it is all ready to go :slight_smile:

Don’t get them off ebay or from a reseller. Each barcode needs to be properly registered with GS1 including the product details - resellers often charge £30 for each fully registered barcode. I would advise you to register with GS1 yourself. Since it’s in the UK it should be an EAN (13 digits) rather than a UPC (12 digits). EANs, UPCs, and JANs are all types of GTIN. You should usually use the correct type for the target market.

• Ensure product is registered in the GS1 database.
  • Add product to Amazon
  • Create an FBA listing, which will give you an FNSKU
  • Create an inbound shipment

Again, I would advise you to do the checks etc yourself for the first shipment. I also wouldn’t order huge quantities unless you know they will sell. I’ve got some items when I initially placed an order of 50 of each variation; one type has sold about 300 units and another variation has sold only 5.

Yes for sure I have heard this same advice of many people, I wouldn’t even trust if the codes from re sellers are even legit.

I will follow those bullet points then, thanks. Getting the products into an FBA centre will cost me about £300, so it is a relatively short quantity as I’m approaching this with realistic expectations.

I suppose you could always reduce the price for the variation that isn’t selling well?

Don’t forget, as you are bringing goods into the European market they will have to conform to European standards.
All toys and games and the majority of electrical equipment etc…will need a CE marking.
Along with a Declaration of Conformity from the manufacturer.
Other products that don’t require a CE mark will still need to comply with general product safety directives.
Amazon can ask and check that documentation is in place. They can also ask to see valid invoices, proforma and commercial will not be accepted.

When importing goods requiring a CE mark from outside the EU the ‘manufacturer’ is the importer. Declarations of Conformity signed outside the EU are worthless, so the resulting CE marks are also worthless. This would usually mean arranging product inspections and testing in the EU.

Are you ordering from Alibaba? If so I would advise using a third party checking service to ensure your goods adhere to your contract - and if you agree on trade assurance terms then your more likely to be favoured if you have a inspection (should anything go against your expectations).

What Incoterms have you agreed with your manufacturer? Have they agreed Duty Delivered Paid (DDP)? Many suppliers say they will do this - but won’t provide you with the Duty, VAT or Import tax receipts. This is important so you can save on your VAT, if you want to register or obliged too.

Just some other future tips;

Also, try to register your brand as soon as possible - its very easy and not overly expensive for a few classes, and for the benefit; Amazon EBC is pretty much key to surpass your competition.

Adverts are what make products sell - so I advise that you test some different ad tactics, researching your top keywords etc, and if you have a registered brand you access to Amazon brand analytics which I find tremendously helpful - its more reliable than your Helium or Jungle Scout software.

You will likely spend a lot on adverts - and it will eat your profit significantly, until you can establish a good advert regime.

Also - you will be paying VAT (20%) on your Amazon fee’s and Advertising fees unless VAT registered.

I agree with @LAWYER2FBA’s advice but have some things to add:

EBC is now called “A+ content”: https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/help/202102950
Is there any cost to this apart from being brand registered? I saw something about EBC (or something similar) costing €600-800 per listing…

Amazon can give assistance with optimising adverts. The Advertiser Success Team’s email is/was ads-opt-suppliers@amazon.com

Not strictly true - See: Amazon Services Europe Business Solutions Agreement

S-6 (b) If you are in business and established in a European Union country, but you do not have a VAT registration number issued by one of the European Union countries, then you will be able to provide Amazon with other evidence that you are in business. Acceptable evidence is a copy of a recent corporate tax return or an official document issued by a government agency proving that you are in business. Once your evidence is reviewed and accepted by Amazon, VAT will not be charged by Amazon on the fees hereunder provided you are not established in Luxembourg.

Well said Neil,

Good advice to anyone who reads this.

I met a guy who said almost how he was going to make a fortune selling on Amazon. When he told me of his plans I said be careful as it may seem easy but i can assure you you won’t find it quite as easy as you think.

After only a year he stopped selling on Amazon because he had all the cost wrong.

It’s a mine field just starting a business, let alone starting selling on Amazon with all the pit falls we come up against.

Test the water as we did and then see how your business grows if it grows and keep an eye on cost ALL THE TIME. Every single one of them. This guy said he bought a product and put a profit on it so he would make loads of money. I laughed. So you didn’t work out the cost to send the item, the cost to return an item should the need arrive, the breakages, the cost to market, the tax due? he really thought once he had bought a line to sell that was it.

Big wake up call.

closed #14

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.