Recent Seller Forum Interface Update - feedback about the changes

As everyone knows, recently there was a noticeable change of the Amazon Seller Forum interface, which affected all of their international forums, starting with Japan on 21.May, then continuing with UK on 17.June and finishing with their main US site on 19.June.

Seller Forums Planned Downtime Alert.

The update was apparently to the latest version of Discourse, which is this forum’s current software. And just like before, I can imagine it will take Amazon some time to fix all the glitches and adjust settings based on their own needs and user’s feedback.

I was online at the time when the upgrade was made on each forum, so I can tell that many of the initial issues were already resolved within 1-2 days (most likely as a result of concerns shared by US sellers).

However, there are still some problems which users are reporting, one of them being mentioned in the following linked topic:

Seller Central-Seller Forums no longer linked?.

So I created this thread to report and discuss any glitches, changes or issues which you may be experiencing. This could all differ based on the browser and device used, so it would be good to mention the type of computer and browser you have as well.

Changes, glitches and issues which I noticed:

I am using an iPad and the latest version of Safari. From what I have observed, here are the main changes which affected the forum interface, some of them negatively, others positively:

• Uploaded images disappeared from the majority of past posts and threads and changed into a blank wall or error code in some cases:
See more

Here is an example post with uploaded image missing:

Unaccepted Appeal - Policy Violation - Adding greater detail to appeal.

I noticed that some images eventually reappeared after a few days, but I am not sure if this will be the case with all posts.

• Website links and thread links no longer show a cute small preview image and text, instead stay in a form of a link or a quote:
See more

Before the upgrade, any link would immediately create a small preview of the page or thread, but now the feature is completely gone:

Before:
False Product Condition Claim.

Now:

Fraudulent return.

• Users can now withdraw forum threads - every single one of them, even if published years ago. All posts can be deleted as well, without any time limit.

• When replying to a thread, you can see who else is typing and replying at the same moment as you. I find it really disturbing.

• Posts could no longer be edited after 5 minutes. This was changed after a few days and increased into 15 minutes. Currently, posts can no longer be edited after more than 15 minutes, only completely withdrawn. If edited, they get moved to the bottom of other posts in the thread (I am not sure if this is still the case since I am no longer seeing it happen - most likely it was already disabled).

• Posts are no longer appearing in real time. In order to view new replies, you need to either refresh or reopen the thread again. This way, multiple posters will end up posting the exact same content without being aware that someone else already published it. The post order also doesn’t look good as someone might have spent time writing a long post and only after refreshing the thread realize, that 10 replies were already posted with their newly published post now being out of context.

• There is a glitch which is preventing profile avatars from being uploaded. If you try to upload a new profile picture now, it will get saved as a white square (with a question mark in the middle if using a desktop PC or a laptop).

• When your flagged post gets permanently removed, you will receive an automated message from “system” titled “Flagged post removed by staff” with explanation.

See more

• There are new fields in the profile preferences, such as: Recently Used Devices, Text Size, Default Home Page, Hide my public profile and presence features, Allow other users to send me personal messages, Email, Recent Read Time or Edits history.

• System is for some reason automatically editing particular posts. In my case, I had a quote of another user’s post removed out of my own post.

See more

• It appears like the minimum 20 characters limit for posts no longer applies.

• The daily chart in the “Users” section is no longer displaying the users whose accounts are on hold with their statistics frozen but instead reflects current data.

• There is a lag with new and updated existing threads being shown, unless the page is refreshed. Previously, they would appear in real time without having to load the page again.

• Clicking on the “New” or “Unread” section which always appears at the bottom of the forum will lead to an error page in the Seller Central.

See more

I click on any of these:

And here is where it takes me:

• Light blue notifications about likes, replies or quotes will stay showing as unread even if you already viewed them, but did not click on the notification. Now I have to click on each notification to view it in order to have it disappear.

• My private message notifications won’t go away even after I already opened and viewed the message. In order to have the green dots disappear, I have to click on “Dismiss”, which however marks all messages as read.”

• The design of the “Like” button has changed. There is a new chain-shaped symbol which offers various options to share your post. This feature is already disabled on the Amazon USA Seller Forum.

These are just some changes I noticed over the past few days so feel free to share your own feedback and experience.

Update

Here are some additional details which I noticed today:

• It looks like the option to withdraw (delete) threads is no longer available, despite I have seen someone doing this just a few days ago. Individual posts can be still withdrawn with no time limit. The bin symbols are still displayed on each thread’s opening post, however once you click on it, the following error message will show:
See more

• If you remove yourself from a private message conversation, all other users who participated in the same discussion will receive an automated notification from “system” informing them about it, marked with a green dot.
See more

• There a is a very significant lag affecting notifications, which are not being received on time. Alerts about likes, quotes or replies appear with a delay of several minutes.

• Posts are being published and displayed in threads with a delay of several minutes. Today I had it happen multiple times that I published a post, there were no replies, even after I clicked on the same thread again minutes later only to see that after 10 minutes, there were multiple other replies before my own post which were apparently posted earlier but invisible to me. Also, I can see posts having their order rearranged later after I visit the same thread. I hope this gets fixed.

• With the “Hide my public profile and presence features” function you can completely hide your forum profile, statistics and all activity. No one else will be able to view it.

Hi,

Taking from what you wrote, I’d like to point out that, ever since that update, when you quote a thread link in another one, the small preview image and text still appears, but in a whole new form (see screenshot below):

Furthermore, now the Seller Forum where the seller logs in no longer shows up in the quote links, instead appearing as sellercentral-europedotamazondotcom. Another bug/glitch?

It only shows a quote instead of a preview:

Here is a link to my A-Z claim guide thread:

Here is what it would look like before:

Oh…ok (I actually thought it would equal to the former previews, hence why I said “but in a whole new form”).

By the way, I got “kicked” out of SC and Seller Forums after I went back to check them and refreshed the pages, of course (was AFK for a bit). Does it happen?

Also, as I forgot to mention earlier (and as per your suggestion) the issues I’ve been encountering, since that update, are happening when I’m using a MacBook laptop, with Chrome as browser.

Thanks for your reply!

Yes, it keeps logging me out for no reason. Often in the middle of writing a post.

Update

• If you decide to change your forum username and/or your profile image, this will be immediately reflected in the majority of your past quoted posts, where you had your name or picture included in a quote by another poster along with text. Before the upgrade, all quotes used to preserve your old username and avatar displayed at the time the original post was published.

• There is an option to completely disable other users from sending you private messages through the forum by unticking the “Allow other users to send me personal messages” option in your profile settings.

• The “withdraw post” function which is marked with a small bin icon and currently allows you to permanently delete any post published does have a limit and once you withdraw multiple posts, it will ask you to wait anything from a few minutes to dozens of hours for the feature to be available again.

Update

• Over the past few days, I had several posts completely disappear minutes after I published them, despite they were already showing as posted.

• It randomly keeps logging me out of the forum in a way, that I can still see myself being signed in, just the reply buttons are missing from threads.

• Some like and reply notifications never show with a light blue dot symbol.

bugs, again and again, as usual every time they change something. And this forum isn’t a priority for them I think…

La vache, tu sévis aussi sur le forum en anglais a.g. ? La classe…

:rofl::smiley::smile::rofl: Elle gronde facilement :slight_smile:

How many were you trying to delete all at once? :open_mouth:

Not wishing to be rude but, who cares?

Update:

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING HAS BEEN FIXED:

• Uploaded images disappeared from the majority of past posts and threads and changed into a blank wall or error code in some cases.

• Website links and thread links no longer show a cute small preview image and text, instead stay in a form of a link or a quote.

• Posts are no longer appearing in real time.

• It appears like the minimum 20 characters limit for posts no longer applies.

• There is a lag with new and updated existing threads being shown, unless the page is refreshed. Previously, they would appear in real time without having to load the page again.

• Clicking on the “New” or “Unread” section which always appears at the bottom of the forum will lead to an error page in the Seller Central.

• Light blue notifications about likes, replies or quotes will stay showing as unread even if you already viewed them, but did not click on the notification.

• My private message notifications won’t go away even after I already opened and viewed the message.

• It randomly keeps logging me out of the forum in a way, that I can still see myself being signed in, just the reply buttons are missing from threads.

This particular and very important feature still doesn’t work properly. One hour it works, another one it doesn’t. The way how website links are displayed interestingly keeps switching throughout the day.

To amend or upload a new avatar picture do not use a JPEG image but use a PNG image and it will upload successfully.

The profile picture upload function has been fixed more than 2 weeks ago already, along with the other glitches.

It all works now. Apart from the website links, which are still not showing proper previews most of the time.

This:

Instead of:

Not true if you try and upload a JPEG image…

It works for me without problems, the features also work differently depending on the device and browser used.

closed #21

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.