Refund at first scan for seller-fulfilled returns postponed to October 24, 2022

We recently announced Refund at first scan for seller-fulfilled returns, including our Reimbursement policy (SAFE-T claim) for seller-fulfilled orders with prepaid return labels.

To ensure a smooth rollout, these changes will take effect from October 24, 2022, instead of September 30, 2022.

The current refund process will remain unchanged until October 24, 2022, when the policies will automatically apply to all eligible seller-fulfilled returns.

For more information, go to Refund at first scan for seller-fulfilled returns.

We’ll continue to monitor your questions and will update our FAQ in the coming weeks.

Returns Amazon refundung customers prior to me receiving goods backf

Wow, Wow, Wow, are we going to be saved from this mad idea???
Hello,

We recently announced "Refund at first scan for seller-fulfilled returns" (https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/headlines.html?id=GHS9JDY5LXQP95VX&ref=nslp_at_17_GHS9JDY5LXQP95VX_en-GB_ttl_rf_recent_news_18), including our "Reimbursement policy (SAFE-T claim) for seller-fulfilled orders with prepaid return labels" (https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/help/hub/reference/G202175000).

To ensure a smooth rollout, these changes will take effect from October 24, 2022, instead of September 30, 2022.

The current refund process (https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/help/hub/reference/G200708210) will remain unchanged until October 24, 2022, when the policies will automatically apply to all eligible seller-fulfilled returns.

For more information, go to "Refund at first scan for seller-fulfilled returns":

https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/help/hub/reference/GYLYQWNG8LZ9JNJP.

We’ll continue to monitor your questions and will update our frequently asked questions in the coming weeks.

The Amazon Services team

Nope.

Just given another month to prolong all of stress and worry of a stupid idea.

Amazon believe in the old adage…“Never give a sucker an even break”

How about postpone it forever instead? The whole thing is a terrible idea and was initially sold to us that it would save us admin work - but now we have to file a SAFE-T claim for every return to reclaim the postage costs. Ridiculous. Ill thought out. Sounds like a scheme Liz / Kwazi are involved with…

As I understand it if the customer selects a buyer-responsible returns option the postage deduction is made automatically.

Amazon might as well set up a new rules system (in the same vain as the “boss” rules) i.e.

Return rules…
Rule 1) The seller’s at fault
Rule 2) If the buyer’s at fault, refer to rule 1

Most of the stuff we sell is free returns anyway so not too much of an issue. What I don’t like is that if the item is returned damaged or unsellable we’ll have to fight to get our money back and with it being controlled by bots or the few staff amazon employ it’s going to be a lot of toing and froing to get anywhere.

Dear Amazon,

how about we postpone this mad , half baked idea until October 24, 2122 instead?

With love,
Amazon sellers

Needs to be scrapped permanently. An evil idea which backs sellers into a horrible corner.

Highly unfair and toxic and just sums up how Amazon treats their sellers these days.

Glad it’s been pushed back, gives me a few more weeks to get stock sold and get off this scary platform until they do indeed scrap this stupid idea permanently.

Not a smart move.

IMHO this policy will give any buyer, from the slightly flakey to the down right dishonest, an easier way to get free stuff. It will not affect the totally honest buyer.

I’m just waiting for the mass of how to do it you-tube vids to surface viz this scam aiding policy.

We all know Amazons motives. A) Their blinkered high regard for their buyers and B) as leverage to force every seller onto FBA.

Personally in 7 years I’ve not had one phone call from Amazon re joining FBA up to the beginning of August '22 and since then I’ve had 3 that’s 1 every two/three weeks

I wonder if they have had so many complaints about the whole thing ?

The whole idea needs to be scrapped, and we should be able to manage our own returns in the most appropriate way, choosing how they are returned and what shipping method, appropriate to the value of the item, none of this automatic stuff, as there are so many possible scenarios to automate it properly.

Agreed. But sadly this will happen it was rolled out in the USA last year and even though sellers are still furious with it they have been ignored it is here to stay.
Sellers who seem to have been the most effected are those selling electronic goods where scammers are ordering Tvs Pcs etc and sending back a box with a brick etc and saf-t claims were being denied as the tracking was showing as returned. This mess is just one of many reasons why I have given up on expanding on Amazon and have been concentrating on building on other safer channels as I can see no long term future on here.

The poor downtrodden scammers, having to wait another 3 weeks, until they get their latest tool in their little dishonesty toolboxes, bless their little cotton socks:-(

Refund at first scan for seller-fulfilled returns

This assumes =
The seller’s at fault
The Buyer is never at fault

The policy is open to abuse by Buyers who buy in error or without bothering to check that the item they are buying is correct

Does Amazon care? Apparently no

The Buyer can send back any item in any condition and be refunded without the Seller first being able to check or verify the returned item is the correct item and not damaged = Fair and Safe Trading Platform?

I try to find the positives in all things that are thrown out us in business and this platform.
1: will it save us time? I don’t think so,
we will still have to check whether the goods come back and have they already been refunded.
we will still have to check whether buyer selected right reason for return which in our case only about 50 % do.
we will still have to mess around with Safety claims and spend time to see whether they have been paid.
I could go on
2: will it create a better customer experience? The answer is yes for all the buyers who continue to abuse the return system by creating wrong reason for return and sending customer damaged items back or swapping the goods for example old for new.

3: will it cut down on A_Z claims , I have only ever had one A-Z for return that came back used and damaged badly after 6 months (out of policy) and i gave a 50 % refund and I still lost the claim . So Yes I supose it will as the buyer has already been refunded

Basically, the returns system is abused enough by a large proportion of Amazon buyers, and I say this because the majority of buyers don’t generally return stuff even if the product is not exactly what they wanted because they understand that buyer from a web page, is not the same as buying from a shop and they will live with the odd disappointment in their purchase and will take on some responsibility for their mistake,
Basically what I am saying is most of our returns come from serial returners , who just buy things on a whim or buy multiple items of the samre type in different designs and colours and treat it as choosing service

What this seller unfriendly rule does remind everyone is that you cannot have all your eggs in the Amazon basket. As third party sellers continue to get squeezed, the question is does Amazon really think they are giving everyone a better experience or are phasing third party sellers out as they want a direct, exclusive relationship with brands instead with no competition on their platform?

‘Other platforms are available’

Amazon used to refund FBA items at first scan. As a customer I was quite surprised when it first happened but also very pleased.

But in recent years, even yesterday when I returned an item, it clearly says “Your refund will be processed when we receive your item”.

I don’t have a problem with this. But we do need a level playing field. Will they change to “refund at first scan” when the new implementation date arrives? I don’t think so.

Hi, having thought about this for a while, I’ve decided it may well be a good idea. Amazon may well have shot themselves in the foot with this? The Buyer gets refunded, so no conflict with the Buyer, then we place a SAFE-T claim when the item arrives back in a used, damaged, condition or with wrong item or missing parts. It will cost Amazon a fortune and at the same time they’ll discover their wonderful customers consist of a large % of lying thieves?