Return Reasons "Incompatible or not useful for intended purpose" results in listings being removed by Amazon

Can anybody help?
Every return request for the above reason results in listing being removed by Amazon for allegedly selling our items as USED?! We do not sell used items!!!
We’ve been selling on Amazon for 7 years and had many returns before for that reason but never Amazon removed the listings. Since January 2020, we had 3 various listings removed and POA submitted! What’s happening? Why is this happening?
These are listings that sold in 100s and 1 return requests results in being removed.

“Incompatible or not useful for intended purpose” - does it not mean that the customer changed his mind or decided that the item will not be useful for him? Why does Amazon’s algorithm think it’s our fault and removes the listings?
PLEASE HELP

There is obviously something happening here which leads a customer to think the product they are receiving is in used condition, not new. Without knowing what the product is, it is hard to speculate. However, perhaps you can look at your product and try and work out why somebody would think it is not new. Is it a packaging problem, eg is the packaging getting damaged. Is there no packaging at all? Is the product being damaged in transit? etc etc. In other words, are you able to determine why the algorithms are picking you out?

“Incompatible or not useful for intended purpose” is the complaint not,“received a used item”
Poster is being penalised for a pefectly legitimate return reason,Amazon is getting more ridiculous by the day!

Please read the first paragraph of the OP’s post (not just the thread title)

Every return request for the above reason results in listing being removed by Amazon for allegedly selling our items as USED?! We do not sell used items!!!

This is the most common reason for return we see, it doesn’t have the effeect that you are experiencing though on our listings.

Could it be a coincidence maybe. Nothing (and I mean NOTHING) surprises me with Amazon these days though.

Listings being closed for selling used items are usually triggered by comments the customer has made directly to Amazon support and/or through product reviews or seller feedback, as such the return reasons are unrelated.

basically this, it’s probably a coincidence.

None of the customers who requested returns left any feedback or product review. I do not believe they had any reason to complain about the condition of theses items. They changed their mind. There are much more serious reasons they could have selected when requesting return but they did not.

I understand but that still does not answer my original queries in my first post. Are you able to address those (which might give us a better understanding of what is going on) :slightly_smiling_face:

Is it a packaging problem, eg is the packaging getting damaged. Is there no packaging at all? Is the product being damaged in transit? etc etc. In other words, are you able to determine why the algorithms are picking you out?

Is it a packaging problem, eg is the packaging getting damaged. - No

Is there no packaging at all? There is a packaging

Is the product being damaged in transit? etc etc. No, if that was the case, customers would select “Arrived damaged” etc

In other words, are you able to determine why the algorithms are picking you out? No idea, this is the reason I created this thread in first place. The reason selected by customers should not result in our listing being removed

OK. So, is there any other reason you can think of which would explain why something is being regarded as used and not new? Did you buy these new products from a manufacturer or authorised distributor, for which you have invoices (not a wholesaler).

Yes, of course, We buy directly from a manufacturer. I have original invoices.

I understand this where a customer has ordered an item which incompatible for the intended purchase " Meaning the customer has ordered the wrong item " comments are usually optional.

Also it could be they ordered the wrong size, wrong colour, wrong part, does not fit their appliance, or failed to read the description before purchasing.

I would have thought the correct menu selection would be " Not as described " if it is used item sold as new.

Exactly, that’s my point too!

Okies. Have you tried to appeal the decisions via seller support?

Yes, I just received a reply saying to submit POA (so as expected).

PLEASE NOTE: one of our previous POA was accepted, they asked for more invoices reflecting sales in last 365 days so I did but they still found it not satisfactory saying the following:
“You have not sent us sufficient information that we previously requested from you. We requested this information to address the complaints we received about the condition or description of your items”

So I provided everything they asked for and it still was not enough!

My suggestion would be to take photographs of the product in its retail packaging with all its tags etc and send this to seller support. Providing an invoice removing confidential information of course showing just the description and quantity purchased should be sufficient.

We usually find when a claim has been made there is insufficient information in the comments field and then you send message to the customer and receive no reply.

The problem with these things is that it’s usually “bots”, not people doing the thinking (or lack of it) :thinking:

If you have provided them with invoices there maybe a discrepancy between the quality sold to the quantity invoiced? Also the period of invoices.

Thank you for your help. The problem is we sell wooden boxes which come unpacked/ loose (we pack them here in our packaging and dispatch to customers).so unable to show the original packaging to Amazon

Show them how they are dispatched to the customer. I would write back saying explaining how the product arrives into your warehouse. How the product is quality inspected prior to the order being shipped to the customer. How it is packed with its retail packing. Also returns are fully inspected for quality before they are placed on the shelf for resale.

Other option is to ask the customer for further information for you can look into the matter.

Always explain you want to help them address their complaint.