Returns for defected item

Hi, a buyer has requested a refund and has stated that their item (an electronic device) is not working correctly. The items are brand new and sealed in the box, and have never been a problem for other buyers. Is it best practice to leave a note to the buyer that if the item is received back and there is no fault found that they will be liable for expenses?

I’m doubtful whether anything is actually wrong as it has happened to me before. I have also read on other threads that the same working item can get sent back to them. Please let me know if this is also the case, as the item was purchased within 30 days.

Please let me know what is the best course of action for such cases?

Thanks

Buyers can request returns within 30days after delivery (or the last day of the Estimated Delivery range if sent untracked) and you need to accept them.

Once you receive the item back, inspect it to see, if the return reason is correct. If not, you can treat it as a discretionary return

The buyers are responsible for the return shipping cost in cases of discretionary returns, therefore when there was no error on the seller’s part.

If the return is requested between 1 - 14days after delivery (or the last day of EDD), you need to refund the product price + Standard shipping cost.

If the return is requested between 14-30 days after delivery (or the last day of EDD), you only refund the product price, assuming that the item is returned intact. Otherwise deduct the cost of loss of value.

Thanks for the clear response, really helpful!
It’s interesting that we go by the EDD and not the date they received item though.

Well, not so interesting as it is from the date the item is received, not estimated date of delivery.

You have the statutory right to cancel your order for any reason within 14 days beginning with the day you receive the item…” and “As well as your statutory cancellation rights described above, you can return most products from the Amazon sites to Amazon within 30 days of receipt of the products …” from the UK policy.

Thanks for your addition however, how does this work with items that are not returned in the same condition as it was received, i.e the seal broken or general wear on a brand new item, Does a full refund apply?

Thanks

As per @Kika advice above …
assuming that the item is returned intact. Otherwise deduct the cost of loss of value.

No, simply deduct the cost of loss of value out of the refund.

Thanks a lot guys! really appreciate the help…

There will inevitably be the occasional faulty item, so it’s not impossible that the customer is telling the truth, even on Amazon :roll_eyes: . However, as you’ll discover from numerous other threads on this forum, some customers are known to return an older purchase, instead of the one sent, in order to get a free replacement, so, if possible, check the serial number against the one you sent

This is a great point, I have noticed this topic spoken about on other threads. For this reason I make a log of all serial numbers for each customer. Hopefully all my customers can be honest.:face_with_raised_eyebrow:
Has anyone experienced a buyer switching items, and had to carry out a procedure against them? if so how did it end up going?

We have fortunately not experienced it ourselves but like you said there are numerous posts about it. And where there is a serial No. we always note it on the invoice we always add to the shipment.

I have however experienced it as a buyer when purchased it in a store! I bought a small electrical drill, like Dremel. It did not work. When looking more closely it was not the same version and it had been used. Somebody had purchased a new item in the store, exchanged it with their broken drill, gone back for a refund. (Yay! New drill for free!) The store did not check the product, put it back on the shelf, I bought it … I was furious when I went back to the store!
Furious that somebody can do such a thing!
Furious at the store for not checking what they put back on the shelf!

Hi guys, just as I suspected… There was absolutely nothing wrong with the item. Whats a fair way to value or devalue an item due to its seal being broken?

Cheers

How much less is it worth to you now compared to when it was still sealed?
£10? £20? £50? Work out how much less it might be worth and deduct that plus whatever return postage cost that you paid and refund any balance due.