Shipping address name missing and buyer surname missing... Unable to ship RM signed for with no name

Hi

Why don’t you contact the customer informing them that you are unable to process their order because there is no buyer name together with the full address? I asked Royal Mail the same question sometime back.

I have always said the customer name should be made mandatory whether it is the business or a residential customer. With regards to being collecting a parcel this will cause issues for both customer and seller.

Yet another useless piece of woolly minded, PC nonsense from Amazon.

We can’t let you see the buyers surname BUT oh! there it is when you print the order out.

Just think Amazon pay these people a salary and give them the responsibility to come up with these fruit cake ideas.:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It is nonsense, i certainly will not ship anything out that is of higher value with no named receipient. Please keep us informed Monty of what happens in your case.
Yet again Amazon has not informed their sellers of these changes, we find out in the forum as usual and they have not thought it through with couriers or postal service providers.

No it’s not. There are plenty of threads on the subject and you can see the message in my screenshot, Amazon is hiding customers delivery details for some but not all sellers.

This particular topic from Monty is re the missing buyers name, not the complete address missing. “Had an order through in the last hour where the shipping address name and the buyer surname is missing. Due to the value I send everything out using RM signed for so need the customer signature on delivery.”

Re: customers delivery addresses , they are as someone has already said visible, but after a period the address is partially removed by Amazon making issues harder to sort (re-sending items… not that i would unless very low value, even producing invoices etc) .

@ Monty
Is this just for that one order or are all your orders missing the name on the address?

If it’s just the one that would suggest the buyer forgot to put their name on the first line.
Problem is, with Amazon now withholding the full name of the buyer except in the actual address, it’s making it extra difficult to handle these sort of orders. There has always been a problem with dropshipper buying names being totally different to the recipient’s name, but this has compounded the issue.

You should still be able to see the buyer’s name in the reports download, as mentioned in this thread here:

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/forums/t/in-order-to-further-protect-our-customers-personal-information-this-page-will-not-display-the-buyers-name/235798/

That’s what we’re talking about. Amazon is hiding the buyers name for some but not all sellers. Screenshot attached:

I have the same, first name or just ‘Miss’… but when I print the packing note from Amazon the full name and address are on it.

The ‘Not displaying the buyers name’ policy is just idiotic.

Amazon also request us to upload invoices, how are we supposed to do that if they will not provide us with the buyers name? We can’t assume that the buyers name is the same as the recipients as there is no guarantee that this is the case.

Maybe they have targets that have to be met like SS do?
They have to be seen to be doing/modifying/streamlining something, I dont know, but I wish they wouldnt!

The buyers surname missing is a new “data protection” thing. It says at the top of each order that this info is now being withheld. I guess to support the latest wave of dropshippers.

I sometimes have an issue with no name and/or incomplete addresses.
I think usually it is an oversight or casual carelessness by the buyrer rather than an attempt to hide their identity
I usually message the buyer using ‘Addditional Information Required’ as the header as this will be delivered to the seller even if they have opted out of messaging.

I politely ask for their full name and/or address telling them it will assist with speedy delivery and invite them to contact me ‘at your earliest convenience’.

They often reply within 24 hours. On very rare occasions I feel that there may be too great a risk - this often involves overseas addresses (I always use SmartyStreets address verification software - it’s good for checking the format and required fields of overseas addresses).

If I feel that the risk is too great I mark the item as ‘Shipped’ then fully refund the buyer - doing that avoids bad feedback. I also message the buyer telling them we have had to cancel their order and invite them to buy again but at the same time ask them to provide full name and address details.

It’s easy and quick and a polite message often yields results - you keep the sale and peace of mind.

It is rather annoying that Amazon allow people to enter delivery addresses that are clearly incomplete or contain errors when there is software readily available to check addresses and the different ways of formatting them worldwide.

No they won’t. That would make 0 sense at all.

Completely agree. I think Amazon have forgotten something completely. We are sellers on THEIR PLATFORM. They are not the sellers. We are the seller. Therefore, why on earth are they hiding our customers names, from us. They are our customers. The data protection act or whatever its called this week covers this dissemination of information, we need the details and giving them for this purpose does comply with the GDPR etc. Further more, in terms of OUR business, HMRC investigations etc etc, surely we need to know the name and address of anyone who buys from us. This is absolutely crazy

Amazon also request us to upload invoices, how are we supposed to do that if they will not provide us with the buyers name?

You’ll just have to assume they are and send out a corrected invoice if they request one.
Good to see that Amazon’s continued policy of making FBM as difficult as they can possibly make it has found a new and innovative way to make life just that bit more troublesome. I honestly have no idea how people get paid for introducing this sort of micro-management policy.

I think FBM will eventually go and it will be FBA only, because the fees are higher for them this way and they will have control over the stock, outcomes and more opportunities to charge for additional services. They’re introducing admin requirement after admin requirement for FBM but never fix the fundamentals or own their own mistakes unfortunately. Disadvantaging FBM sellers means they are not offering a level playing field which is poor for consumer choice.
Personally I’m beyond being surprised at anything they implement (without announcing it) and then enforcing it in the most half-arsed yet draconian way possible. The sooner the conflict of interested is regulated the better, as it’s they only way they’ll change.

That’s not what is being discussed, it’s that customer names and shipping details are being redacted by Amazon making it impossibile for the OP to dispatch items.
We can’t realistically contact every single buyer to ask for address confirmation, or indeed their name.

This presumes they give a monkey’s at the implication for FBM sellers. And you have it completely wrong, Amazon regards buyers very much as their customers not ours. We are temporary and suffered to be here, the buyer has an account with Amazon not us. Never underestimate our hosts hubris.

Totally agree, I cottoned on that fact very early on.

If you check on the right hand side of Seller Central under Orders, it might say: (customers name) has not left you any feedback yet. That could help?!

Actually it is the topic of the OP’s post but has morphed into a discussion about the redaction of buyer details by Amazon. It is probably better comments on this subject were added to this thread: