user profile
Sign in
user profile

Time machine Amazon back to 2016

by Seller_kHIYvQFgzwVAy

Back when we didn’t have so many selling restrictions, we are here to provide a service and actually make money, I miss the days of being able to actually offer express delivery to a customer and getting paid the additional cost, comparable profit margins of 2016 to 2019.

Item sells for £12.99 (free delivery)
After amazon fee = £10.40, costs are around 50%, a steady profit margin of around £4-£5 per item sale.

SFP
Item sells for £12.99, £10.40 - SFP postage fee is around £5.70
Profit around £1 per sale, so if you get a return all the profit is gone…

Items need to be sold at a higher rate now, but nothing sells at the higher rate.
Buy boxes constantly being tampered with.
Think it’s time to retire.

Tags: Buy Box, Fees
45 replies
45 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_EJIX7rqDNQJi2
In reply to: Seller_kHIYvQFgzwVAy’s post

I am sorry to hear this, but unfortunately, you as the seller need to set your prices to ensure they cover the initial purchase price, any applicable Amazon fees and taxes, advertising as well as the shipping and packaging expenses, labour cost or potential returns.

My solution is increasing the prices whenever I have additional expenses and this appears to work.

user profile
Seller_OFjSrssNgD9RS

OR

Realise that you cannot sit on your laurel’s. You obviously worked out how to run a profitable margin 4 years ago. You need to do it again! and again.

It is hard I feel you. But that’s the reality is, it always was.

I have survived so many changes, that I know the only constant IS change.

chin up!

Good hunting

user profile
Seller_sh8kHP0M4xUrc

We realised that we needed to move on with Amazon, you compared selling the same item in 2016 to 2019, however; if you still purchasing the same item at the same cost since 2016, then you must be getting ripped off by your supplier.
The amount of competition in amazon now is higher than ever been, if you do not compete with a new company or any other seller, you are competing with amazon direct !

Therefore it is best to keep changing your offers, look for new offers, and goods to sell, as well as new suppliers, you should be able to see the same profit margin as 2016.

Plus if you sold 1 million products @ 1 pound profit… you kinda made £1M in profit!

user profile
Seller_GMPMsyrUFerQd

wow, that is expensive. what courier do you use? is it AMZ courier?

user profile
Seller_Jb2Pbkv6z48cA

We might be able to provide you with some very useful advice. What sector are you in?

user profile
Seller_Ah03L6P94SpqP
user profile
Seller_gZqTU6PajSv8e

The long and short of it is that Amazon just dont need the smaller sellers anymore. They have allowed us all to build successful business models only to rip it away from underneath us. We understand change and keeping up etc etc but after 12 years selling we are seeing something very different this year. If Amazon have not stamped all over you yet they will

user profile
Seller_Rkf2znCXtSZpI

My understand that what he meant was that items were brought into the UK using China post and delivered to the seller warehouse. The package remains unopened and the address is overwritten and simply reposted when a UK buyer purchases it.

That way the seller pays a low amount for postage and the package is received in 2/3 days from order via 2nd class post.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post