Who's responsible for incorrect product pictures?

I have been selling a small range of quite specific products on Amazon for a year.

All good until last week.

Somehow, one of the product listings has taken on the picture and part detail (size) of a more expensive product in the same range.

I have contacted Amazon who are in the process of changing the picture and details.

In the meantime, a customer has ordered and received the item but is upset that it’s not as pictured.

His delivery note specifies the correct item, but he’s insisting I send the product as pictured.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks

All you can do in this situation is inform the buyer the product is as described in the product detail, however an incorrect image has been inserted in error which Amazon are in the process of correcting and point out they are free to return for a full refund.

Whatever the issue, the seller is responsible for the sale and expected to check the listings are correct, including images matching the product (difficult if not impossible to police, but that’s Amazon view) and the buyer has the right to reject goods for any, or no reason under the distance selling regulation, or under Amazon return policy return the item within 30 days.

As the buyer will likely claim not as described, you may be expected to refund also their return postage cost, as whatever the issue, it’s not the buyers fault that something screwed up.

mmmm - not always - as the Product Detail may also have been chosen for display by Amazon from seller who mistakes a childs potty for a fridge Freezer !
>however an incorrect image has been inserted in error which Amazon are in the process of correcting and point out they are free to return for a full refund.
Agreed >
> Whatever the issue, the seller is responsible for the sale and expected to check the listings are correct,
>including images matching the product (difficult if not impossible to police, but that’s Amazon view)
Yes - expected to check all '000s of our listings every second of every day !
I get the same claptrap every time this happens, even if the listing has been bastardised over the previous 48hrs - I have never yet been able to get Amazon to accept blame or remove Cancellation Metrics or feedback when this is the cause.

PP - thanks for your answer.

I’m happy to refund customer and pick up item, however, he’s insisting I should send the one as pictured (which just happens to be 3 times the value).

The weird thing is the pictures and description were correct for 2 months and then changed late last week with no intervention from us. First thing we know is when customer complains.

My inventory management list still shows the correct pics and description so how/why would they change?

I’m all for fair play and erring on the side of the customer but I cannot justify sending the more expensive product because the picture has been changed by some entity other than us. Unless, legally, I have to.

I await the wisdom of Amazon…

No doubt the customer would like the more expensive unit pictured, no doubt thought they had a cut price deal and never read the product details, however you are not obliged to meet their demands either under the DSR, or Amazon returns policy, you are simply required to accept return and refund.

Send the customer the link in your storefront of the correct item listed and refer them to Amazon returns policy pointing out after return they can of course order the item in the photo and give a link to it if it’s available on Amazon.

My guess is another seller has done an edit on the listing adding the wrong photo.

In this case the OP confirms the product details are correct.

Agree, impossible to run an hourly check on all product details, any I picked up before they sold was just luck.

The ‘how’ is by any seller adding wrong info
The ‘why’ is because Amazon could not care less that their system allows irresponsible sellers to corrupt an existing listing such that a Kenwood Chef may one day appear to a buyer as such, with a picture of a Pair of Wellies and a description & product details telling you it’s a Size 38 DD
Instead of putting a robust catalogue in place, they prefer to tell you, as they will no doubt, that is is your responsibility to check the listing accuracy every second of every day if you wish to ensure buyers are not disappointed.
> I await the wisdom of Amazon…
You may be sadly disappointed or old and wizened by the time (if) it arrives :frowning:

please don’t think I am overstating the case - only 2 days ago I once again received the same template email as always telling me it’s my fault the products their system advised matched to be sold on amazon.fr, didn’t match at all.

I just had this happen “again” luckily i had the correct picture beside my listing which seems the only way around this problem The picture was actualy created by a user not even a photo

Typically an indication that the Amazon +Retail Team+ is fiddling with the listings and preparing to sell the product range.
To avoid customer complaints there is not much you can do except unlist the offer.

Amazon may pop up as a seller shortly. It may take them weeks or months to realize and correct the error.

You’re reviving a thread from 2013!

A lot has changed in the last four years - best to start a new thread or reply to a current one.

{it seems a lot old threads have been revived today - something in the water…?}

closed #11