You may no longer be able to sell on Amazon From 01 March 2019

Not needed as you are in the UK and are still part of the EU at the moment.

Are you sure, the small print reads…

Traders with no residence or habitual abode, registered office or business management in Germany, in another Member State of the European Union or in a a country where the Agreement on the European Economic Area applies, must provide the name of an authorised recipient in Germany when applying (section 123, Fiscal Code (Abgabenordnung)).

The implies to me that you need a address/agent in Germany or you cannot complete the form. UK is a member state of the EU, so therefore you need to supply a German address.

But i am baffled where we get this from! Any ideas?

Read it properly :smiley:

That means if you do not have one of the aforementioned OR are not in the EU etc then you must supply an authorized recipient.

For the time being the UK is still in the EU, although not for much longer, so at the present time if you are UK based you do not need that detail.

After i posted this, i read it and realised!
We are under the 100,000EURO threshold for VAT in Germany (UK seller). We will be way under, probally around 20,000EURO this year in sales.
So what is this tax number, does it mean that we need to then file VAT/TAX returns in germany each quarter or year.

What we dont want to do is apply and have loads of paperwork to do.

Whats you thoughts on this.

But what if you need to fax it?

I have just looked at 3 products at random.

Over 15 sellers on each one. All of the sellers except 1 are one of the following

American with no VAT number (about 35%)
American with a UK VAT number (about 45%)
Italian with an Italian VAT number
UK with a UK VAT number

By my reckoning all of the American sellers will be pulled. Even if these sellers start the process to register for German VAT they will struggle to get their number in 2 weeks.

It is going to have an astonishing impact on Amazon.de.

It already HAS a great impact…

• Closed Accounts on Amazon,co.uk from german sellers with valid VAT ID are re-opened suddenly again
  • Amazon.com (USA) contacted us to supply amazon.co.uk as a vendor

Looks like the removal of the fraudsters will also have a great impact to the amazon vendor supply chain in the UK…

If i have a look at some top selling electronics…

https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B06XFWPXYD/

90% of the sellers will be removed …

Can you expand on that?

I don’t quite get your meaning.

I don’t understand what you mean either @DSP

It is possible that the non EU sellers have got a DE VAT number but have not uploaded it to Amazon.

EU sellers gets fees net of VAT when they upload their number so it is important to do. I can not see any benefits fro non EU sellers except for Amazon VAT invoices being generated for the buyers.

VAT on fees is irrelevant. This is about VAT on sales.

But that impact will create a huge sales opportunity for those quick enough to grab it.
The remaining sellers will have chance to reap big rewards.

You have missed my point. I was wondering about the US sellers I have looked at. Very few have any VAT number uploaded to Amazon. A few others have a UK VAT number.

Does this mean they will all be banned in 2 weeks?

They certainly should be, by both the German law and Amazon’s notifications they would be in breach so auto banned.

1. There is precedent from last year when lots of non-UK sellers were banned from .co.uk, basically same reason, just the other way around.

2. Not showing a GB-VAT-ID does not necessarily mean they don’t have one. It all depends on Amazons robots to update the pages properly and in time.

If they have a number why would they not upload it? This is what I was pondering in my earlier post.

How did you apply for that offer? I received similar email with no links or reply back option so not sure how to take it up on that? Also, emailed Seller support, they don’t seem to have a clue.

REcently we received repeated emails from Amazon.de to ask us to submit vat certificate. But we thought we did not have inventory in Germany and our sales are far less than vat registration threshold of euro 100,000. So we did not submit. But today Amazon.de suspended out account due to missing vat certificate reason. We are appealing to reactivate our account as we are not required to register. Is any seller having similar situation now?

What do you mean by ‘’ we thought ‘’ .

Hi Magical,

Thank you for your reply. We don’t have inventory in Germany and we do not reach the threshold, so we thought we are not required.

They seem a bit inconsistent (I don’t know why I am surprised). I can still see loads of US sellers that are showing a GB VAT number. They have not been suspended.

I wonder if they will be too.