Your Austrian Tax obligation

Not sure what to do here? I am registered in the 7 eu countries but not Austria

Dear Seller,

Please upload your Austrian VAT Registration Number now on Seller Central to reduce friction on your selling account.

Under the Austria Digital Tax Act 2020, Amazon has an obligation to share identity and transactional data on selling partners making sales to Austrian customers with the Austrian Tax Authority. This identity data includes the selling partners VAT registration number in Austria. Amazon may suspend selling privileges to customers in Austria if this is not provided.

If you are required to be VAT-registered in Austria, provide your Austrian VAT Registration Number on Seller Central by December 31, 2020.

Provide your VAT Registration Number
(https://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/tax/consolidatedRegistrations?ref_=macs_xxvatinf_cont_acinfohm)

The following non-exhaustive list of transactions are subject to Austria VAT and trigger a VAT registration obligation in Austria:

• You are established in Austria and make taxable supplies in excess of €30k per year
  • You are established outside of Austria and store goods in Austria for sale to customers
  • You make distance sales of goods to customers in Austria, delivered from another EU country, and the value of these sales exceed €35k in the current or prior year.

I have just had that email too, but I only sell in UK and no other marketplaces !

Just had it too. Amazon has recently set up an FC in Austria so items could be stored there. No idea what to do about it though.

Must admit, my first thought on seeing that was phishing…

Not interested in it anyway. No point even thinking about a new market till things settle down.

We are registered for PAN-FBA and already do VAT for DE, FR, SP, IT, CZK & Poland

We do not want to set up for Austria too !

It appears we will have no choice though? As far as I’m aware with PAN-FBA you cant pick and choose your countries, so its either register for Austria out lose all the rest. ?

I’m, sure the NL will happen soon enough too…

So where-ever Amazon open a warehouse, we will have to register… ?

Hoping someone going to tell me I’m wrong !

Sorry, you’re right. Anywhere Amazon decide to store your stuff in EU you must register for VAT in that country. But, I’m guessing you already knew that!

You can add Sweden to that list soon, I can already hear my accountants wallet getting fatter.

I have had this message too. I am not aware on a FC being opened in Austria.

Is this correct?

Here is a link but it is 2 years old.

https://investinaustria.at/en/news/2018/10/amazon.php#:~:text=Amazon%20has%20put%20its%20distribution,area%20of%209%2C800%20square%20meters.

It does not make much sense.

This link suggests there is not a FC in Austria.

This is crazy…

So they add Austria, then Sweden, then the NL…

And we have to register for all…

It then gets debatable if its all worth it… we do well in some countries and tiny amounts in others.

Like DIXYY said, will spend more paying the accountants than getting paid !

Hola
Bueno tengo tantas preguntas que solo voy hacer una esta vez.
Soy nuevo en esto de Amazon y quisiera preguntar para vender en todos los países EU y EEUU uno tiene que estar registrado para el IVA en cada país que uno va vender.
Me gustaría que alguien me aclare por favor
gracias.

si, eso es correcto

• I’m looking at this thinking having to pay the accountants another xxx amount per month for each one, plus the time on etc etc…

It’s basically buggering it all up for us. Surely Amazon can’t expect all its sellers to just register with every country country?

It there are any Amazon reps out there listening - some input or knowledge would be most handy…

We’ve had the email as well but don’t use FBA in any country and sales well below euro 35K. Interestingly they say upload another vat number if none applicable from another EU state and deadline is 31st Dec 2020. Don’t we leave the EU for good on that day so will they require something else?

I’ve just spoken to seller support.

Although this may not be helpful to those who are VAT registered and need assistance being registered,

I am a sole trader who is not VAT registered and I do not sell via PAN. Seller support have suggested I speak to my tax accountant. Which sounds like very meaningless news… However, this is a strong indicator that Amazon can not hold you accountable if you do not submit a VAT number if you do not store products within this country.

They have suggested that if for any reason you have issues with Amazon, you can contact seller support.

Although it would be best to have that conversation with seller support yourself, email the conversation to yourself, then when if anything does go sour, you use the seller support conversation to show that you were following their rules.

The following non-exhaustive list of transactions are subject to Austria VAT and trigger a VAT registration obligation in Austria:

• You are established in Austria and make taxable supplies in excess of €30k per year
  • You are established outside of Austria and store goods in Austria for sale to customers
  • You make distance sales of goods to customers in Austria, delivered from another EU country, and the value of these sales exceed €35k in the current or prior year.

None apply to me so I’m ignoring it.

Good ridance, over the years I’ve had no end of trouble with Autrian addresses for delivery. They never collect their items from the depots - don’t know if that’s an attitude issue with the customers (maybe refusing to collect) or their postal service never leaves cards. I had so many losses in one year I actually stopped selling on .de as you couldn’t prevent the Autrian customers using .de and buying from you.

I had the usual fraud issues with Italy many, many moons ago but they seem so to have gotten that under control - but Austria…NOPE! Not for me.

I’ve had the same email. It also states - This action is required to ensure we can update the account details and you do not lose your ability to inbound stock to FBA or sell in the German marketplaces. This mean that we didn’t take any action on your account yet. This sounds like we won’t be able to sell in EU unless we register.

Register where?

I already have my German VAT number loaded on amazon.de.

I don’t think there is an amazon site in Austria.

Unsurprisingly Amazon have failed to answer when I emailed them.

Register for vat in Austria.

When I spoke with Amazon they said that to stop selling to Austria we would have to stop selling to all EU market places as there is no switch to just switch off Austria. They made it sound like it was all or nothing.