user profile
Sign in
user profile

80 character limit on title listings

by Seller_bhSWqoVh7Pn98

Hello

Amazon have now set a limit of 80 characters for titles, which makes even the ones they have added themselves so far, will be far too long.

It means Buyers will now virtually have to know the make and model of the item, as that uses up all the room, with the colour of it.

They are suppressing listings that do not conform. So, if your sales decrease, a good place to start. Without the extra descriptive words, it will means Buyers of course will not find what they require, after all most people search for items in general, not specific brand and model.

For example: Bluetooth TRANSMITTING Record Player + Wireless Portable Speaker (FM Radio,MP3) is the amount of characters allowed. BUT there is no room for the make, model, and colour. Or you could put in make/model/colour: Steepletone ST938-BT-Soundbox013 Black (which is 38 characters), but who will know to input that

I spoke with Seller Support in South Africa, who thought it was madness and Amazon in turn will lose sales/commission, but all he can do is inform of the rules

Any suggestions?

Tags: Listings
12 replies
12 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_EHYOwAkoZV3Hb
In reply to: Seller_bhSWqoVh7Pn98’s post

Yes, follow policy or you will lose visibility. Sorry.

Saying that, there is still some confusion regarding this policy.

user profile
Seller_RubEetLtJzN3v

Is this 80 characters including spaces or excluding spaces?

user profile
Seller_bhSWqoVh7Pn98

Does not say, I assume including spaces

The trouble is if you go over the 80, it looks like it is online, when you click through from inventory, BUT when you go to the actual website, it is not there and when you go back to inventory by typing in the ASIN, it shows as suppressed and you have to have another go!

It should at least stop when you get to 80

It makes it even worse if you have a parent/child listing, as that adds in the colour or size at the end, making you go over the 80

user profile
Seller_wXdOU9BIohIeM

Yes including the spaces. But when I have modified the title to be 80 characters Amazon automatically added my brand name at front and the colour in brackets at the end, because the product was part of variation

user profile
Seller_EJIX7rqDNQJi2

Amazon is doing it to make the listing titles clearer and easily readable for users of the shopping app or mobile version of the site, just like eBay.

I don’t mind the change, my listing titles have always been as short as possible, unlike my competitor’s, which are spammed with keywords of all kinds.

user profile
Seller_iZHxo3ssGj6CT

I have read your posts about 80 characters and I’m quite surprised because an error that appears in my Inventory > Suppressed listings is like this;
“Item Name (aka Title) : To fix the alert please reduce the size of your title to less than 200 characters”

I made some research about titles through top furniture listings before i uploaded first CSV file and most of the products have way more characters than 80. All of my listings have less characters than 200, yet they are suppressing some of my listings. The error appears only in few of my categories, rest of them is fine although there similar amount of characters.

I’m getting a bit tired of reducing the length of my titles every time I check Inventory tab. Takes ages to correct the whole offer but I can’t see any coherence here.

Is there any information about categories title limits or something like this?
or maybe you guys have different solution to figure this out once and for all.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post