user profile
Sign in
user profile

Help with EU VAT - stuck!

by Seller_jjHzksa7LvORq

Plea for help as I have not gotten very far with Amazon SS, Avalara or some other “tax advisers” I have posed the question to.

I sell FBA on Amazon and my products are VAT-exempt in both the UK and the EU (yes, zero VAT). The business is registered in the UK and there, the no-tax works just fine.

I recently started selling in the EU, sending stock to German FBA from inside the EU. The listings all have a NO_TAX code, I have a German VAT number etc etc, but Amazon still insists on charging me VAT as I am a “deemed reseller”.

One idea I am playing with is to set up a EU subsidiary, maybe Ireland, so that I can have an EU presence/substance and perhaps the issue will go away.

Has anybody here gone down that route? Or similar, with some kind of fiscal representative or another solution? Really struggling to get a clear answer from anyone on this.

Does Amazon allow one seller account to have both a UK and EU address / be dually registered?

If there are Seller Uni guidance on this, apologies in advance but I didn’t find anything…

Any ideas, referrals to advisers, general tips etc very welcome!!!

Thanks,
Alex

Tags: Address, Registration, Taxes
11 replies
11 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_qZO3ZCjoBXEeL
In reply to: Seller_jjHzksa7LvORq’s post

It would help a little to clarify your terminology as this will potentially confuse anyone you are speaking to.

VAT exempt and zero-rated are not the same thing. I assume that you actually mean zero-rated.

Are you absolutely certain that your goods are zero-rated in Germany for example as very, very few goods are. For instance books, food etc. all attract VAT.

VAT is charged based on the node/category that the product is in for marketplace seller overseas orders so you’ll need to check your product is in the correct category and that the whole category is zero-rated.

user profile
Seller_esvgLzKXw2YAl

Surely you mean a deemed supplier?

user profile
Winston_Amazon

Hey @zimzimzimmam,

I am not sure if this helps, but we do have a link that mentions zero rated, VAT calculation service FAQ, maybe you might find something useful in here.

Feel free to keep us updated, also shout out to to the sellers who posted here!

Regards,
Winston

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post