user profile
Sign in
user profile

vat on fees

by Seller_pbJEhrzwFoDA9

hello everyone, i just want to ask do we have to pay VAT on refrel fee, amazon fee and and sales from august ?

Tags: Amazon business
17 replies
17 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_QuM1AZgzfU9x4
In reply to: Seller_pbJEhrzwFoDA9’s post

If you are established in the UK and not VAT registered then it is VAT on the fees only. Which is how it is now unless you asked Amazon to stop charging the VAT.

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q
In reply to: Seller_pbJEhrzwFoDA9’s post

As from August 1st you will be charged VAT on all Amazon fees

If you are VAT registered and on the standard scheme you can claim back the VAT on your next VAT return - if you are not VAT registered or not on the standard scheme then you cannot reclaim the VAT.

VAT on sales is still your responsibility - this part is not changing and will depend on where you are established and VAT threshold registration requirements, etc.. For example, if you are not UK established, Amazon will be collecting the VAT on your sales - they are already doing this.

user profile
Seller_EmdOQ28K7Z4pc
In reply to: Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q’s post

Can you tell me more?

The problem is that we have a UK limited company but deemed not established for VAT purposes. Therefore Amazon is deducting 20% VAT on our sales.

But since our company address is in the UK, Amazon will charge 20% on all its services from 1st August.

So we are going to be impacted from both sides. First, 20% VAT on sales. and then paying 20% VAT on services.

Is there a way around this problem? it seems rather unfair.

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q
In reply to: Seller_lLk8KDEqxAExu’s post

I thought (but I could be wrong) that VAT on fees will be applied in your own country of residence/establishment.

So for example, if I advertised on Amazon FR, then Amazon will collect the VAT on the sale to forward to French tax authority, but the VAT on the fees will come through on my UK invoice charged at UK rate.

If you are not UK established for VAT purposes, then I would have thought Amazon will invoice you from wherever you are established and apply the VAT rate based on your country of establishment - then you reclaim this in the exact same way you reclaim VAT for other goods/services in your own country.

user profile
Seller_9idPMYuN5lTTl

If you are VAT registered, you don't pay VAT on referral fees and FBA fees. Is this changing from August?

user profile
Seller_lLk8KDEqxAExu

Cheers @Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q . I believe that is the case, VAT on sales in the UK, Amazon takes and remits to HMRC at source. VAT on seller fees (in my case Irish registered business) I think I need to reclaim these on my Irish VAT return? Amazon won't be the ones to conduct the VAT refund in this case then right ?

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q
In reply to: Seller_9idPMYuN5lTTl’s post

Yes - its in announcements that as from 1st August Amazon will be invoicing for its fees from its UK office (and hence charge VAT) and not its Luxembourg office (and applying Reverse Charge VAT)

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q
In reply to: Seller_lLk8KDEqxAExu’s post

That is my understanding yes

So if you sell something on Amazon UK for £12, Amazon will send £2 to HMRC and you get £10 added to your account

If Amazon charge 20% fees then your Irish invoice for fees will be £12 * 20% = £2.40 + Irish VAT

So you will be disbursed £12 - £2 - (£2.40 + Irish VAT)

You then reclaim the Irish VAT on fees on your next return and mark the sale as £10 (Vat not applicable) in your accounts

user profile
Seller_9idPMYuN5lTTl

Do you have a link to this?

user profile
Seller_tRuvBEHDedp4q
In reply to: Seller_9idPMYuN5lTTl’s post

Its been pulled from several sources and outside links are banned on Amazon anyway.

My advice is to ask your accountant to check.

But - VAT is not applicable to goods exported and Amazon are the deemed supplier for VAT purposes only. So anyone (who is not UK established) selling something at £12 on UK site, then Amazon is the deemed supplier. You actually sell to Amazon at £10 and Amazon sells to customer at £12 and sends £2 to HMRC.

Your sale is £10 (VAT not applicable as an export) for accounting purposes.

The fees on invoice is my understanding of the recent changes Amazon are making on 1st August here you will be invoiced from an office in same country where you are established. And just like any invoice for goods/services Amazon will be adding VAT at the rate your country specifies.

This is certainly the way eBay are doing it and have been doing it for several years. But this is Amazon so they may do it differently but it is my understanding.

user profile
Seller_9idPMYuN5lTTl

Hi,

We are UK based so all good.

Have found the link on Amazon though.

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/seller-forums/discussions/t/fe8e800e-d95c-42ae-a98b-e6e682547f90

Thanks.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post