user profile
Sign in
user profile

Vicious Circle trying to list book for purchase

by Seller_3fHacxYyCxqbJ

I am new to Seller and opened an Individual account. I want to sell one single item, my self-published book. I Add Product, put the book’s ISBN in the Category and fill in everything else required. It appears in My Inventory and I get an email saying it will be available for purchase in 15 minutes. But it never does. Seller helpdesk tells me my listing ’is not currently assigned to a product category, therefore is not searchable’. It tells me to complete the following steps. First go to Edit and select Product Identity and then fill in ‘Recommended Browse Nodes/Item Type Keyword’ BUT THERE IS NO PRODUCT ID to be found. Heldesk told me it is under Product Description… but when I click on that I get a message saying ‘Restricted Edit Permissions. As you are not the brand owner for this product…’ etc. It stops me filling out anything under Brand Description’, (It is my own self-published book but, when registered, Nielsen book registry automatically lists all books on Amazon.) Helpdesk then tell me, as an alternative, to ‘Toggle Advanced View’ BUT THERE IS NO ‘ADVANCED VIEW option to toggle. I am now on my 10th case with Help about this over two weeks and can’t get them to understand that it is not possible to carry out their instructions, despite sending screenshots to show I can’t fill out Product Details and there is no ‘Advanced View option. Please, please… can anyone else suggest anything and put me out of my misery?

Tags: Add a product
12 replies
12 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_3fHacxYyCxqbJ
In reply to: Seller_3fHacxYyCxqbJ’s post

PS I have deleted my book listing and started again by putting in the ISBN in the category four times. Nothing changes.

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

As this is a self-published book, then I assume you are listing as NEW ?

If so, you cannot have an Individual seller account to sell new items, you MUST have an Amazon BUSINESS seller account, be registered with HMRC as self-employed (probably sole-trader) and have submitted your UTR to Amazon. My apologies if you have already done that.

If you actually mean individual selling PLAN (where you do not pay the £30 a month fee), or do you mean Individual Seller Account ?

user profile
Seller_3fHacxYyCxqbJ
In reply to: Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid’s post

I am listing it as New. You have got me a bit confused by the two Individual options. l have an Individual selling Plan where I do not pay the £30 a month fee. When I look at Settings Account Info it says I am registered 'Sell on Amazon: Individual.' I had to provide items for verification. I only want to sell the one, self-published book! The selling guide for an Individual selling plan mentions that you can sell new items .... and there is no VAT on books in UK. Thank you JillyB for trying to help. After two weeks trying, I am at the end of my tether.

user profile
Seller_k2X0L9mVRT0pW

Jilly is correct - you need to register as a business and provide your UTR. You cannot be an Individual and sell New- only Used

user profile
Seller_3fHacxYyCxqbJ
In reply to: Seller_k2X0L9mVRT0pW’s post

Thank you Stillhere. I have opened 12 cases with the Help people trying to find out what I am doing wrong. That has not been mentioned once. Millions of people self-publish books. Most sell very few copies. Nor will mine.... so it would be ridiculous to register as a business with its monthly payments when I will probably sell, at most, 10 or 20 copies of my book. What do other people do?

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

Amazon, in their wisdom (!), gave two totally different things the same name ie. individual. We have been complaining about this for years as so many new sellers do not understand the difference.

There is the Individual seller account (the legal entity) where you can ONLY sell off your own second-hand, used items, and not new items, and then there is the Individual selling Plan, which you say you have, as do not pay the £30 a month fee.

Yes, you can sell new items on the individual PLAN, but not with the Individual Seller ACCOUNT.......but as you are presumably selling your book for profit you DO need to be registered with HMRC as self-employed, as explained in my previous post.

I am guessing that your verification went through quite quickly ? - if you only applied for the Individual seller ACCOUNT. Setting up a Business Seller account takes longer as they have to verify your business info as well as your personal ID info. What did you have to supply for verification - if they only asked for personal ID details (bank, utility bill etc, then you do not have a BUSINESS seller account.

You do NOT have to be VAT registered, but you DO have to be registered with HMRC to sell for profit - as you say there is no VAT on books.

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

Quote: "I have opened 12 cases with the Help people trying to find out what I am doing wrong. That has not been mentioned once."

Probably because they have not properly read your question, and they would not know what you were trying to list. Sadly Seller Support (SS) are not as knowledgeable as other sellers, and mostly read from scripted replies, AND have been known to give out totally wrong advice.

Before you go any further you need to register with HMRC and wait for your UTR to come in the post,

user profile
Seller_FQHkqHJI5SqTh

Do what you think is right for you re. HMRC, but the online platforms have an obligation to report their sellers' earnings to HMRC and if HMRC think you have a tax liability they will come knocking; and I do speak from experience.

user profile
Seller_iZL0ysZFrLJmN
In reply to: Seller_FQHkqHJI5SqTh’s post

Although you can earn up to £1000 in any tax year before you have to register with HMRC as a sole trader and by the sounds of it, the OP doesn't expect to make that much in a year if they only expect to sell 10-20 copies of their book.

From Gov.uk "Who must send a tax return ; you were self-employed as a 'sole trader' and earned more than £1,000" 6/4/24

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid
In reply to: Seller_iZL0ysZFrLJmN’s post

That is correct re HMRC and the £1000, BUT Amazon expect you to have a BUSINESS seller account right from the start to sell NEW goods.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post