user profile
Sign in
user profile

FBA buyer filed court case against us due to not getting refund

by Seller_wBqEgBC1MTJWu

Hello fellow sellers,

I'm facing a challenging situation and need some advice. A buyer recently filed a money claim against us for nearly £500. The item was fulfilled by Amazon (FBA), and the buyer returned it. However, Amazon did not automatically process the refund. We manually refunded the buyer, but shortly after, the buyer's Amazon account was supposedly suspended. They paid using a gift card and claim they haven't received their money back.

Amazon has confirmed that the refund was processed and the transaction is reflected on our account. However, they also stated that they cannot reverse the refund.

We can't afford to refund the buyer nearly £500 and also be liable to pay them through the court system. What steps can we take to resolve this issue? Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Tags: Chargebacks
19 replies
19 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_76AUwmqvSyRIM
In reply to: Seller_wBqEgBC1MTJWu’s post

Sorry to hear this.

I know this won't be a helpful comment to you, for which I apologise, however for other sellers that may also be tempted to refund an FBA return themselves instead of letting Amazon to deal with the refund - DON'T.

This is 100% Amazon's responsibility and refunding could easily lead to such issues and many others.

Similarly, never refund if an A to Z is raised. Always let Amazon handle it, even if you believe that a refund is justified.

user profile
Seller_mS10UjVYuuGor

That sounds like someone trying it on to see if you also refund them. If the buyers account has been suspended by Amazon there is no bigger red flag that something is iffy about that account.

If you already have proof that you refunded them via Amazon (in writing from Amazon) you just need to present that evidence to the money claim. They paid Amazon not you so really any case they may have is against Amazon.

Gift cards have no monetary value so I suspect the person was trying to use up the gift card and be refunded in cash using your item as a vessel to achieve that.

user profile
Seller_khXhultlsgFkP
This post has been deleted
user profile
Seller_ae51e0CJoHqCX

Their issue is with Amazon and not you. If Amazon have suspended their account then that is between the buyer and Amazon.

I wouldn't sweat this one, just send the documents back saying you intend to defend the claim. You would then defend it based on the fact that you were not responsible for the physical transaction and have not enetered into an agreement with the buyer. It is Amazon who has entered into the agreement, you are just merely the supply.

At the end of the day, you don't have the money and you did not do the transaction. If Amazon have got the money it will be down to the buyer to chase Amazon for it.

They are supposed to go through Amazon for all of this anyway. The whole purpose of FBA is that you are not supposed to get involved. You are protected from A-Zs etc and can make safe-T claims if things don't work out.

user profile
Seller_HuhP221NahSdW

Don't refund let Amazon do it as per other messages - if it is FBA their contract is with Amazon

user profile
Seller_V34vA9hfLDvlc

just refer them to amazon customer services as thats what fba is for

Go to original post