user profile
Sign in
user profile

Penguin Books - Suddenly Require Approval

by Seller_jcXzaMmlt361D

Hi there,

Have any other second-hand booksellers noticed that all their Penguin books (and I guess, potentially, other PRH imprints as well) suddenly 'Require Approval' this morning.

Dozens of my listings of second-hand books are being removed as I type this!

The approval process appears to require documents from manufacturers/suppliers etc which is, of course, madness in relation to second-hand books.

After battling this site to sell second-hand books here for about 17 years - this just might be the final nail in the coffin!

Any thoughts or advice on how to deal with this before I jack it all in?

Cheers.

Justin.

Tags: Listing deactivated
45 replies
45 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_eX5PU1b0GGPXn
In reply to: Seller_jcXzaMmlt361D’s post

Yes I have experienced the same

Interesting fact

I have been approved to sell Penguin books

Do you list elsewhere? If not consider it as another option

user profile
Julia_Amzn

Hi Justin,

Thank you for reaching out.

I have addressed your case to partner teams, but I will need you to request approval first as this is an official appeal path.

If you intend to do so, do let me know.

Thanks,

Julia.

user profile
Seller_Bx7DbTlLyW6FL

Yes, totally agree and it's not legal, no need approval from publishers to sell used books. Nobody needs approval from a publisher to sell a used book.

user profile
Seller_RAXEWLxQ2dbmN

Is it all Penguin books or just those that come under the 'popular' category?

I find it is often new/newish titles in the bestsellers list that get restricted while older titles with low or no sales ranks get a free pass...

user profile
Seller_WfgEITz9SI6N5
In reply to: Seller_RAXEWLxQ2dbmN’s post

Everything! All my rare Penguin paperbacks from the 1980s, some of which mine was the only listing, were suddenly banned.

user profile
Seller_eX5PU1b0GGPXn
In reply to: Seller_RAXEWLxQ2dbmN’s post

Mine were 2014 and 2010

So not the most recent

Very random in choice of books restricted

But listed when permission granted

Some I have already sold without problems

user profile
Seller_eX5PU1b0GGPXn
In reply to: Seller_WfgEITz9SI6N5’s post

This makes me so angry

Little known fact Re prints of very old books are censored usually the bedroom antics

That's why collectors will seek out original copies I am talking pulp fiction etc

user profile
Seller_4BoJ7H9WwvZH3

All 7 of our Penguin book listings (all listed as used) now suddenly require approval after being for sale for months!

user profile
Seller_1Pr83SwcQbIUJ

I have had the same this morning for a railway book, and a couple of Warner classical CDs I have sold for years when you apply to sell asked for invoice for 10 items, all these are used items :(

user profile
Seller_oKph7fqXfT0B2

No permission from the publisher of a second hand book is required under "first sale doctrine", upheld in the US Supreme Court, when a publisher tried to sue a student for buying textbooks in Asia more cheaply and selling them in the US at a higher price (geographical arbitrage). The court ruled that copyright law cannot restrict or require permission of the publisher to resell a legitimately purchased book, wherever it was originally purchased. The publisher already had their money from that imprint of the book so have no claim to rights over the physical asset.

From The Verge: 2013/3/19/4123740/supreme-court-upholds-first-sale-rights-abroad

user profile
Seller_WfgEITz9SI6N5

Has anyone found a solution to this? I opened a case but it was closed immediately because I did not provide sufficient evidence that documents were required from me (I provided screenshots).

user profile
Seller_gFfHBsMgcbcL1

Same here. Used books deactivated and require Penguin approval. What is going on.

case ID 9702503972

Go to original post