user profile
Sign in
user profile

Dodgy customer, dodgy address or something else?

by Seller_XYWaiwH9oa386

I have recently been sent a message from a buyer who claims an item has not been received yet and they want a refund. This was an item ordered on the 23rd of December so quite a while ago, and also in 2nd class signed for. When I try to track the number on Royal Mail it just says ‘An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item’. Does this mean that it’s still at the sorting office and they haven’t delivered it, or they just haven’t bothered updating on the delivery process? The reason I ask is because I have tested this on other 2nd class signed for items and they say the same thing, and these are items posted even before this and I’ve not heard back from the customers to say they’ve not received these. In fact over Christmas I’ve been rather fortunate in terms of items not turning up based on messages (so far) even with a fair few sent standard second class.

This customer however ordered a previous item from me before that had to be refunded for not being received, way back before the RM strikes, so I’m a little suspicious. Another item was posted to them since this latest one a few days later and they haven’t mentioned this one not being received.

I guess I should just refund them anyway without any queries?

Tags: Customer, Refunds
32 replies
32 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_ZjZ4slOF0jHpk
In reply to: Seller_XYWaiwH9oa386’s post

It could be either. Items posted as far back as November are still turning up as some sellers will tell you, or not scanned on delivery (esp with Signed For). That’s the problem with Signed For, even though I’ve used it a lot myself - not scanning on delivery. Or the opposite, scanning, realising they’re not in and taking it back in the van with them.

The customer’s past behaviour would make me suspicious, but you have no evidence they are wrong unfortunately. You can stall - “I’ll open an investigation, etc” - but we’re maybe past that point now.

I’ve been surprised myself how few customers have chased up late items this year. Maybe the message did actually get through. To some. Not to international customers now unfortunately who are chasing me on a daily basis.

user profile
Seller_2OEVZTLtmijPy

If tracking says ‘An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item’ it implies delivery has not been attempted. It could be its delivered and it wasnt scanned by the postie. Either way you’d have to refund the buyer as there is no evidence its been delivered.

I’d file a claim with Royal Mail for a lost item. You’d win this as there is no evidence its been delivered.

If you post your items at a post office, you may be better off buying postage from the Royal Mail website. Until the end of January you can get Tracked Parcels for the same price of Standard parcels. Better service too.

user profile
Seller_gOlDFgS5Li5Jc

unfortunately if you havent proof of delivery you dont have a leg to stand on simple as that

user profile
Seller_jpKHuQgEj7Orb

if you have royalmail business account claim it on royalmail site, provide them tracking information that the parcel has not been delivered with relevent paperwork, eventually you would save some cost, if you have posted via postoffice then claim it by postoffice receipt, i assume you have business account, because only business account deliveries shows An update will only be provided when we attempt to deliver your item
Unfortunately if the tracking shows no sign of delivery , there is nothing much we can do !
Good luck

user profile
Seller_87mKFKKA3Vwkx

Two items for the same customer reported as not being received is very unusual/potentially dodgy…I’d tell them you are going to report this matter to the Royal Mail fraud department and see what their reaction is - whether you carry through on your threat is up to you of course

user profile
Seller_xUKHc5xSYJmI4

From our experience we don’t alway rely on the information online so we raise enquiry with Royal Mail business customer services. In the past we found the customer informed us they had not received their order and the delivery information had not been updated on the website. I think there was something wrong with the handheld terminal? I am not saying that your customer isn’t telling the truth but sometimes better to check especially when its happened twice.

I would also recommend checking the delivery address as many use multiple delivery addresses.

user profile
Seller_Qvd3h40mpqhkC

Refunf and put in a compensation claim with Royal Mail, they always pay me for the non delivered items

user profile
Seller_XYWaiwH9oa386

I would be tempted to tell them I’ll report them and not to buy any more items from me again, as it definitely seems very dodgy, particularly as it will end up being all 3 items they have bought from me being refunded. But then I don’t want to receive negative feedback from it as I have a good feedback rating currently.

I’ll just try and suggest they don’t buy from me again in a tactful way.

user profile
Seller_0Amk0hnQkPWMH

With this situation I send the buyer a message saying I will report this to their local RM depot at such-and-such address (I Google the nearest one to them) and to Action Fraud in case there have been other reported issues with deliveries in their area. 9 times out of 10 the buyer messages the next day to say the parcel has arrived

user profile
Seller_L2WLWf8N814M4

Hello @joewhite1,

I think is a good idea, first to get all the information that you can from RM. If you belive that a customer is abusive or the claims are not legit, you can report the customer, and Amazon will investigate the case.

Thank you all for your answers and inputs.

Regards
Nickolas

Go to original post