user profile
Sign in
user profile

OTP Log In Problem

by Seller_7I19cO8IipzQL

We seem to be having a problem with the two step verification OTP.

It’s asking for the password every time someone tries to log in on browsers that should be authorised.

The problem is the tick box ‘Don’t require OTP on this browser’ that used to be there seems to have gone

We have multiple people that log in daily at different locations in the building (warehouse staff, accountants etc…) and this is causing disruption because we are having to authorise with pass codes every time.

It just seems to possibly be a Google Chrome issue, the ‘Don’t require OTP on this browser’ tick box shows ok on Firefox. I have updated Chrome to the latest version and can’t see anything obvious in the settings that could be causing this. As a business we use Google Chrome across the board to make sharing Google docs easier etc… So I don’t want to have to get everyone set up on Firefox just to use Amazon.

Before I go through the stress of opening a ticket with SS, has anyone else on here experienced anything like this recently?

Tags: Verification
22 replies
22 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_fMsCVAHNu4txH
In reply to: Seller_7I19cO8IipzQL’s post

Are they logging in to individual user accounts, or everyone in to one main account?

If it’s just one account, it’ll be asking for verification because you’ve got multiple logins occurring from different devices.
In theory, an account belongs to an individual (even if it’s a business), so that individual wouldn’t be in multiple places at once.

user profile
Seller_7I19cO8IipzQL

We’ve had 2 step verification set up for years and we’ve not had an issue with it. We’ve always been able to click the ‘Don’t require OTP on this browser’ option when adding a new device so we don’t have constantly keep entering a ONE TIME password.

Obviously something has changed and we will have to work with it, but it just seems strange that there is a difference between Chrome and Firefox in regards to the tick box.

user profile
Seller_EHYOwAkoZV3Hb

The whole thing is a mess. As per other threads, I am getting a little fed up with the non-stop OTP requests. It may have merits for some situations but not for a home-business.

And it’s not just code requests on the desktop PC, it’s on the phone and on the tablet which are all accessed frequently during the day.

People are now so used to being asked for OTPs all the time that scammers are exploiting this and trick people into giving them access to their various accounts. I’m not sure that is the intention of OTPs but it is certainly an unintended consequence IMHO.

user profile
Seller_fMsCVAHNu4txH

Bob is an employee of yours.
Bob has been working for you for 10 years, but feels like he’s sick of it…
Bob comes to you to ask for the OTP, and you hand it out, because “It’s just Bob”.
But Bob didn’t log in on his office PC, he used his phone.
Bob is now sat at home with 100% access to every part of your Amazon account, Bank details, financial data, and customer data (GDPR anyone?).
Bob thinks… I’ll just change the log-in password before I leave, that’ll show them.

Next morning… No one has access to the account, you try to get it unlocked via seller support (over the phone, because you can’t use the messaging system) and sit in an endless loop of 'I understand your concern" messages while your account is frozen and you bash your head against the wall wondering how it all happened… Because there’s no way that you ever prove (or possibly even realise) that it was Bob.

user profile
Seller_7I19cO8IipzQL

I think everyone’s getting a little excited here. Unique user log ins are recommended by Amazon in their 2sv documentation. Nothing about a breach of terms and conditions and account suspensions here:

Look, I fully accept that unique logins are going to be something we will have to implement going forward. This doesn’t change my original post which was about the odd discrepancy between Chrome and Firefox and the tick box, which could still cause an issue even after we have created unique logins for everyone.

user profile
Seller_wwJtw0D4Jaq27

mine has been doing the same for about a week now,option to not use otp has gone and need to use otp first log in of the day,as others have said there was a notification about some changes to log in last year

user profile
Seller_P8KEK1a70mqx8

Instead of phone number OTP.
a google authenticator app can also be used for OTP, In this case everyone can have that code on their own phone while logging in.
But in any case every employee need to have their own login authorized by the account owner.

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post