user profile
Sign in
user profile

When can you charge a restocking fee and how much?

by Seller_Rkf2znCXtSZpI

I have a specific scenario but also want to understand more generally.

Attempted delivery through Royal Mail but customer not there so held at post office for a few weeks, and as customer did not collect the item, it was returned to us.

Customer messaged asking me to redeliver the item to a different delivery address.

I’m not sure if I am comfortable to delivering item as customer could again not be there.

If I ask customer to cancel and charge a restocking fee of say £2. Is that reasonable? Is there a calculation you work to?

Tags: Customer
69 replies
69 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_t9axAefQD4v9m
In reply to: Seller_Rkf2znCXtSZpI’s post

You cannot charge a restocking fee. In this situation it is best to just refund the customer and get them to re-order if they still want the item.

user profile
Seller_qZO3ZCjoBXEeL

Never redirect a parcel to a different address (or if you do, be aware you have no protection as a seller). If they claim not to have received it you will have no option but to refund regardless of tracking/signatures.)

You can only defend deliveries made to the verified address Amazon supplied you with the order.

user profile
Seller_EJIX7rqDNQJi2

You can charge a restocking fee and withold the original shipping cost out of the refund on Amazon USA and Amazon Japan

Unfortunately, in Europe restocking fees are illegal and you will need to refund in full, including the outbound shipping. I really disagree with this, but it’s a law.

If this happened to me, I would ship to the different address. You won’t be covered in case of an A-Z claim, but it’s a good customer service.

user profile
Seller_0yScmIx0G6k3v

In a specific scenario…Yes, a restocking fee v=can be charged from the customer. If they are returning n item stating that they have “changed their mind”.
In my case, the items were of GBP 250.00 and I called customer care to which they said that once I get the items back, I can charge for Shipping cost, Fee paid to Amazon and restocking fee ( a maximum of 20% ).
I did that and did not have any issue.
Did this once more but I let Amazon know about the course of action to be on a safe side.

user profile
Seller_SKpo3wTDH7wDY

There is no difference between a customer not collecting the item and a customer returning the item within 30 days.
Either way you have to give them a full refund.

user profile
Seller_9gxLEcl5fL4JO

I don’t know why everyone says it is illegal to charge a restocking fee? It is not against the law to charge a restocking fee provided this is clearly explained in terms and conditions and applies for returns requested after the initial 14 days return - Consumer Rights. If someone places an order on a generic website which advises of a restocking fee in their terms and conditions and then decides they don’t want the item after 14 days of receiving the goods, the business can charge them a restocking fee, assuming they even accept the return. By completing the purchase, the buyer has agreed to all terms and conditions even if they didn’t read them before hand. Please note that this is the case for returns after the first 14 days. If customer wants to return within first 14 days then as per Consumer Rights, business has to accept and is not allowed to ‘penalise’ customers by charging restocking fees for a change of mind.

Amazon however has their own policy in place which every marketplace seller has to adhere to and which exceeds the standard 14 days cancellation period. They extend their return policy to 30 days and also stipulate seller cannot charge restocking fees if a customer changes their mind or cancels the order. In this case, simply refund the order in full because customer never received the item therefore the sale was never technically completed - which means it has to be dealt with as cancellation and not a return because customer never took possession of the goods. It is not ideal but that is how it works.

I would not ship to a different address. If they want the item shipping elsewhere, advise they will need to re-order thus paying new postage fee and this time I advise sending recorded so you have proof in case of an A-Z claim.

user profile
Seller_oq15KYYASvXrM

Brave charging a restock fee leave yourself open for NEG FEEDBACK and poss ATOZ CASE

user profile
Seller_xUKHc5xSYJmI4

If the buyer has asked changed the delivery address it is a violation.

We understand restocking fees are against policy also. You can offer a partial refund deducting the delivery costs I was advised by seller support sometime back.

user profile
Seller_N8REXkyGUOygR

This is not directly related to your initial enquiry, but may help some.

We sell printers, and any returned items often come back in a used state, so i asked SS for clarification and i have just had this back.
"Greetings from Amazon Seller Support,

Thank you for contacting us.

I understand that your concern is related to the Order ID: ************ where your concern is regarding the full refund or not when a customer use the printer for 30 days and then send it back.

As per your concern “1. Is a customer allowed to use the printer for 30 days and then send it back and expect a full refund?”-

I would like to inform you that you can deny a refund request if the item has been purchased and is not within 30 days of receipt of delivery.

You can check more information for Amazon refund policy using the link below-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=1161002&referral=A13SEAC1Z2CTHV_A1MZJRCE7RP7YE

1. Am I allowed to refund less than the full amount depending on how much it has been used?

Yes, you can refund less then the full amount depending on the used condition of an item. I would like to inform you that if buyer ask for the refund request for the order within 30 days of receipt of delivery then you can refund the item depending upon the condition on which the item has been delivered to you.

In this scenario, you need to click the photos of the item in case you have received the item in damaged condition or in used condition so that you have the proof that shows the item you received back from buyer is damaged or used in the form of pictures, its completely your call on what action to take.

1. You can deny the refund to the buyer and inform them that the item they delivered back in damaged condition, hence refund is not possible.

2. Further, based on condition of the item if you wish to give buyer a partial refund, you can do that as well. Please inform the buyer if you wish to do so via buyer seller messaging as well,

I assure you that any of the above two will be the correct course of action and as per the Amazon policy.

NOTE - Moreover, if in case in future, the buyer tries to take any inappropriate action against you like a-z claim or negative feedback. Please write back to us and we have a dedicated who takes care of the feedback issues who will remove your the negative feedback. Further, you will get a fair chance to represent your side on the claim as you have all the proofs and reference regarding this order id.

Please note the Case ID ********* as a reference, for any future correspondence related to this concern.

I hope this will successfully resolve your concern. However you can write back to us if there is anything we can help you with. You can also reopen the case if you have any further query related to this case.

CASE REOPEN LINK:
http://sellercentral-europe.amazon.com/gp/case-dashboard/view-case.html?caseID=*********

For a quicker solution to your problem, it is recommended to read the (Global Store Seller Support User Guide) which contains some of the seller’s common problems and the use of the background of the seller skills, I believe will help you later work.

Your understanding and co-operation on this issue is appreciated.

Thank you for being the member of Amazon seller community."

user profile
Seller_eGKchd347dDW0

Restocking fees will give you load of Negative feedback.
You should do restocking at your own cost or you will be out .Simple is that

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post