user profile
Sign in
user profile

'BROTHER' vs 'brother in law' trademark violation

by Seller_CBt3rBkpiXDvS

Amazon have struck my account with an account violation for use of the word 'brother'. The item in question is a brother in law mug, that just so happens to have the text that says 'brother' on it. I've done some googling and can see that there are various news articles about the computer consumables brand 'BROTHER' s on the warpath recently, against counterfeit products, and this seems to have extended into some overzealousness on Amazon's part re the use of this word in all context.

I've tried to appeal this strike, hoping that someone a service rep would recognize that while 'BROTHER' have trademark for the word in relation to their specific products/text styling, they don't have trademark for the use of the word in it's everyday/colloquial use, i.e. brother/brother in law, however they're me to providing documents that prove I have permission to use the word.

There's innumerable 'brother' related products on Amazon, so has anyone else encountered this before? Any advice would be really appreciated.

Tags: Account Health
6 replies
6 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_45KnWkvCTTMNp
In reply to: Seller_CBt3rBkpiXDvS’s post

Hi,

Did you get anywhere with this?

We’ve had the same, we’ve been hit with Brother a few days ago on some birthday cards and more recently with certain other words.

We’re also at a loss as to what to do as like you it’s clearly not a trademark infringement in this context, but Amazon’s automation doesn’t see this. Account health will take a hammering for this which seems unfair.

Any advice or help from anyone would be appreciated.

user profile
Winston_Amazon

Hello @Seller_CBt3rBkpiXDvS,

Thanks for the thread, any updates on this? @Seller_45KnWkvCTTMNp would love to know as well.

@Seller_45KnWkvCTTMNp do you have any updates on your side?

user profile
Seller_yTtln4o5Jyq5k

I have been hit for a trademark violation overnight for a 'brother' mug too. No doubt every product I sell marketed towards the family use of brother will also be taken down and the eventual bot suspension.

They have registered the term brother for every single trademark class completely unrelated to printers!

user profile
Seller_SGD2tDw5HtrAo

Same here, how are we supposed to sell Brother relation items with Amazon thinking we are using BROTHER as a brand!! ridiculous

user profile
Seller_dWtzy1NLGJlQn

Yep, I am having the same issue with them! They have flagged my brother birthday cards as a trademark violation. After many (many) messages to them, this was their final response...

'We can not do anything in this case, even if it is just the Title Brother, the trademark violation does not allow to use that without Approval from owner of the Trademark.'

What an absolute joke!!

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post