user profile
Sign in
user profile

Trademark Registration - who should be a brand owner

by Seller_Qrqi3Gr1D0qyY

Hi everyone. I’m about to fill an application for a trademark. There is an option to register company or an individual as a trademark owner. I just wanted to get some advise from people who went through this - which option will be better if later on I would like to apply for Brand Registry on Amazon. Should my limited company be a trademark owner or me as a individual, which one will make Brad Registry easier to be accepted. Also wonder if UK trade mark application will be sufficient for Brand Registry? I’m not planning to sell internationally so not sure if I have to make EU application
Also I was wondering if Amazon allows to change brand on the listing from ‘generic’ to my registered brand after I receive a trademark. I’ve created a few listings with ‘generic’ as a brand (as seller support advised) and now have some nice sales history on those listings so would like to somehow protect those asins. Or you think it’s is just better to create a new listings with my brand name and live ‘generic’ one as they are
Many thanks in advance

Tags: ASIN, Listings
3 replies
3 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_64jziShTiTjOq
In reply to: Seller_Qrqi3Gr1D0qyY’s post

Only you can decide that - who do you want to benefit from the protection, yourself or the company? But it makes sense to register the brand on the same entity as your Amazon seller account

No, you only need the UK registration but that does mean your brand will not be protected anywhere outside the UK, so a competitor could start using your brand name on the other EU Amazon sites

No, because any other seller of the generic product would then find themselves in breach of your trademark

user profile
Seller_64jziShTiTjOq
In reply to: Seller_Qrqi3Gr1D0qyY’s post

Having said all that in my previous reply, I will now repeat what I (and other sellers) have said about the whole brand registry system. Big brands - Nike, Gucci, Estee Lauder, Ford etc - do sell on the strength of their names. But that strength took years, if not decades, of money and hard work to achieve. The vast majority of the so-called brands on Amazon will never mean anything to any customer. Buyers won’t look for them, or recognise them if they come across them in the catalogue, which gets inflated with dozens or even hundreds of listings for exactly the same product, but each with their own “brand”. They are just ego-trips to boost the feelings of the brand owner, encouraged by silly Youtube videos that insist you need your own brand to do well on Amazon

If you are doing well with the unbranded, generic products, why not stick with them and save your time and money?

There are no more posts to display
Go to original post