user profile
Sign in
user profile
Sign in
user profile
Seller_hKmDu789hAVgE

Irish Seller - UK LTD company

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I’m based in Ireland started selling about 3 months ago, have done about 8k in sales and really wanted / needed to scale this over the next few months to make an income and felt I was on route. Have setup a LTD company in UK with a UK business account too.

Got an email last week about proof of establishment in UK for VAT. Based in Ireland, I don’t meet the requirements. Got a follow up email today, Amazon said I owe historic VAT and will be charging VAT on my products going forward.

I had no idea, assumed I was going to have to register for VAT at the 90k mark like everyone else. UK accountant wasn’t particularly aware either as I think he mainly just deals with UK based sellers.

I use a prep centre in the UK so all stock is kept in UK, only difference is that I live in ROI.

Am I basically dead in the water already? Or how can I navigate this.

Thanks

3 replies
Tags:Taxes
3 replies
user profile
Seller_k2X0L9mVRT0pW

the fact is you are not a UK resident but a NETP (look it up but your accountant should have known this). This means it’s a legal requirement for you to be VAT registered in UK I’m afraid.

user profile
Seller_d8YGbIjNqwFxn

Amazon are correct you have to be registered for VAT and will need to repay any historic VAT. If you are not physically based in the UK and do not have premises and staff in the UK then you must register for VAT.

I would look at getting am accountant who is aware of the regulations for Irish Sellers for further advice

You will need to take rhe financial hit to pay your unpaid VAT

Going forward adjust your prices to take account of VAT.

Amazon have announced they will be launching Amazon.ie soon. This maybe worth looking at.ad am alternative

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

Yes, as others have said, as a non-UK resident you do need to be VAT registered here - the 90K threshold only applies to UK residents, and if you store your goods here in UK then VAT registration is essential......and get yourself an accountant who knows about these things !

There are no more posts to display
user profile
Seller_hKmDu789hAVgE

Hi all,

Looking for some advice, I’m based in Ireland started selling about 3 months ago, have done about 8k in sales and really wanted / needed to scale this over the next few months to make an income and felt I was on route. Have setup a LTD company in UK with a UK business account too.

Got an email last week about proof of establishment in UK for VAT. Based in Ireland, I don’t meet the requirements. Got a follow up email today, Amazon said I owe historic VAT and will be charging VAT on my products going forward.

I had no idea, assumed I was going to have to register for VAT at the 90k mark like everyone else. UK accountant wasn’t particularly aware either as I think he mainly just deals with UK based sellers.

I use a prep centre in the UK so all stock is kept in UK, only difference is that I live in ROI.

Thanks

3 replies
user profile

by Seller_hKmDu789hAVgE

Hi all,

Thanks

3 replies
3 replies
3 replies
Quick filters
Sort by
user profile
Seller_k2X0L9mVRT0pW

the fact is you are not a UK resident but a NETP (look it up but your accountant should have known this). This means it’s a legal requirement for you to be VAT registered in UK I’m afraid.

user profile
Seller_d8YGbIjNqwFxn

Amazon are correct you have to be registered for VAT and will need to repay any historic VAT. If you are not physically based in the UK and do not have premises and staff in the UK then you must register for VAT.

I would look at getting am accountant who is aware of the regulations for Irish Sellers for further advice

Amazon have announced they will be launching Amazon.ie soon. This maybe worth looking at.ad am alternative

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

Yes, as others have said, as a non-UK resident you do need to be VAT registered here - the 90K threshold only applies to UK residents, and if you store your goods here in UK then VAT registration is essential......and get yourself an accountant who knows about these things !

user profile
Seller_k2X0L9mVRT0pW

user profile
Seller_k2X0L9mVRT0pW

user profile
Seller_d8YGbIjNqwFxn

user profile
Seller_d8YGbIjNqwFxn

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid

user profile
Seller_ZVAz3d5lZuGid