Royal Mail: Post Office shipments under Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS)

Shipments sent to customers through over the counter services at Post Offices in the UK may not be correctly declared under Import OSS. This may lead to delays in delivery to your customers and customers may be required to pay additional taxes and fees to receive their goods.

In order to provide a good customer experience, Royal Mail recommends that you use their “Click & Drop” service (https://parcel.royalmail.com/) for shipments under Import OSS. Alternatively, you may wish to consider shipping with another logistics partner.

Royal Mail have announced that the Post Office counters can electronically input the IOSS numbers. So as long as you ask them to do this, you should be fine.

I would have thought as long as you have use the CN22 with the barcode using the appropriate IM code provided by Amazon this would be appropriate? or I guess we have another teething problem with companies getting up to speed with the new regulations.

Having the IOSS number written/stuck etc on the parcel isn’t enough. It must be submitted electronically.

Which is obvious when you think about it, customs aren’t about to start looking and reading numbers from the 500 million packets going through.

Yes that is 100% correct, its a temporary measure while Royal Mail get their act together but it works

For some reason it also needs to be written on the parcel as well. Post Offices have to write IOSS eBay or Amazon, Etsy, Notonthehighstreet etc

The ONLY thing we have on our labels/parcels is teh IOSS logo. And that is all it needs. Nothing else at all.

Does anyone know what happens if we get a B2B order for the EU? We know that IOSS just applies to B2C under EUR150.00. So, if you get a B2B order (to a customer with a VAT number), or an order worth over EUR150.00, there is no local European VAT charged by Amazon under IOSS rules. And yet, local import VAT does need to be paid on arrival. Does that mean we can’t accept the order under Amazon terms of sale? And if we receive an order that it isn’t placed through an online marketplace, how do we let Royal Mail know that the customer needs to pays as the importer of record? Any advice much appreciated.

You have a few choices.

1. Cancel the order - take a hit on your metrics. These should be few and far between (they are with us at least) so maybe you could take the hit.

2. Find a DDP (deliver duty paid) option. Royal Mail offer 2 now I believe, one is code MTV, the other I am unsure of but did read something on teh RM site.

3. Get your own OSS/IOSS number and use that, as you would need to do with your website order etc.

Off the Post Office Website

https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/selling-to-the-eu

It states write IOSS & the name of the marketplace near the address and the Post Office Will do the rest. ie IOSS Amazon or IOSS EBAY

It may be worth taking the relevant IOSS numbers to the Post Office with you the first few times just in case they have no idea what you are talking about, as my Local Post Master didn’t when I asked him

Monkey boy

Following on to your reply how would you submit the IOSS electronically especially when the IM number is the same for all Europe ? Surely if Amazon is collecting the tax then this would be submitted by them to the tax authorities and we will have a statement to that affect for our records.

Also not all sellers will have a business account with couriers especially private sellers or sole traders.

Where did you get the IOSS logo from? was it something manually created?

Below is a CN22 customs declaration for orders below EU£150. In the VAT number column the seller would enter the IM number provided by Amazon. When the order goes through customs it should show the VAT has already been paid on the order.

VAT is being deducted by Amazon the IM number should be entered into number 8 field above instead of the seller VAT number?

Also wanted to add the format of the customer address is not in the correct format for the country so printing the packing slip with the incorrect format may cause issues?

When addressing mail to France, write the addressee’s surname in CAPITAL letters.

Germany has strict rules about receiving mail, which, if ignored, may result in your mail being returned to you with no attempt at delivery. When addressing mail to Germany, always:
• Use the new five-digit postcode (using an old four-digit postcode will cause delay)
• Put the postcode before the town name

{Moderator Edit (Jessica) addresses removed}

No, this is put onto the label by C&D when you create teh shipment. It knows as the order is pulled in from Amazon.

Yes and they have to now use a way that submits the IOSS electronically. You can do this at a post office, they would of course need to know teh MP it is from, that is why they ask for that info.

No, the VAT number column is not teh same as an IOSS number. That label is out of date now, you should use the new ones.

I pulled through a click and drop order today but no IOSS logo and nothing on label to show IOSS number or that it was paid etc.

Any advice? Where would I see this logo on the click and drop label?

Thanks

Thank both for your help.

I would have thought Amazon would provide more clearer guidance.

What code are you using?

IE1 and IG1 are NOT IOSS compliant.

I have switched to DE4 ( with the Bonus that it is way Cheaper ) for EU orders and the IOSS Logo appears automatically.

I’m sorry but I’ve no idea what you mean at all. Never heard of these codes. What are they?

Sorry, I should have asked Do you have a Personal or Business C&D account?

IE1
IG1
DE4
CRL
OLA
OTA
MP1
etc
are the codes RM use to differentiate services.

Does anyone know what is going to happen with Northern Ireland? I made some searches and on gov.uk it says that new regulations will affect businesses from Great Britain to consumers in Northern Ireland and the EU but then it says ‘Online marketplace liability will not apply in relation to Great Britain businesses that make sales of goods to Northern Ireland customers.’. We have switched off all eu marketplaces but NI case is still really confusing and not clear… we just keep sending orders to NI as normal but not sure if this is right…

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/eu-e-commerce-package/eu-vat-e-commerce-package

I’ve been going round and round these posts on IOSS and from what I can see if you are using a non-business Click and Drop account integrated with Amazon and dispatch to the EU, the services you most likely use to send mail are not compatible with IOSS.

The codes such as “IE1” and “IG1” above most likely you are not familiar with…you’re instead familiar with names like ‘International Standard’ and ‘International Tracked and Signed’. You’ve followed the helpful instructions given by other users and are now confused why after entering in your IOSS number into the ‘Trading Names’ section of your Click and Drop account, thinking you’ve done everything correctly there is then no IOSS logo or any visual indicator on the printed label or CN22 that shows its an IOSS order, so you’re worried now that your parcel will either be sent back to you or your customer will have to pay additional fees.

It seems to be that the services you have used everyday for years are not valid for IOSS, because you have a non-business account for Click and Drop?

Which then leads to the next question, what does a non Business Click and Drop user do to ensure IOSS compliance?

I’ve seen the note on the Royal Mail site linked above that says "Write IOSS and the marketplace name on the front of your item near the address, eg ‘IOSS AMAZON’ but then if we’re doing that what was the point of entering in the IOSS code into the Personal Click and Drop as it doesn’t seem to do anything?