Second Amazon Seller Account Question

Hello,

i’m looking to get some advice on second seller accounts.

Using this link below i decided that it was ok for me to open a second seller account. The second account is for a separate business and brand.

The only interlinking factor in my 2 account is i’m a director in both companies. A very clear connection and i play a very active role in the management of Amazon accounts.

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/external/G1801?language=en_US
"

Multiple Selling Accounts on Amazon

You may only maintain one Seller Central account for each region in which you sell unless you have a legitimate business need to open a second account and all of your accounts are in good standing. If any of your accounts are not in good standing, we may deactivate all of your selling accounts until all accounts are in good standing.

Examples of a legitimate business justification include:

• You own multiple brands and maintain separate businesses for each
  • You manufacture products for two distinct and separate companies
  • You are recruited for an Amazon program that requires separate accounts
    "

I clearly fall into this.

Is it clear policy that i should have sought out permission from my original account to open the new account? It didn’t state it in that link, so i just went ahead not knowing any better, but now i’m suffering from section 3 violation suspension issues.

Looking for clarification on this side of things from other sellers.

Thanks

Account deactivated for having two businesses
How To Re-Activate a Closed Account
Amazon UK account deactivated
New/Replacement Amazon account

I don’t think it was ever technically clear policy, but sellers would generally ask because the rules were so strict. In the last couple of months though some sellers would get a response back from Amazon saying that sellers no longer needed to ask.

From memory initially it was .com who said permission was no longer required in messages from support when they were asked but then sellers on .co.uk started to get the same response.

I’ve pasted one of the “new” responses from Amazon below.

Summary

Hello from Amazon Selling Partner Support,

I understand that you would like to know if you can open new account.

I would like to inform that Selling Partners who have a legitimate business need can operate multiple Selling Accounts and do not require Amazon’s approval.

Amazon recommends that you only open a second selling account if you have a legitimate business need and all of your current accounts are in good standing.

Help page to refer:

https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/help.html?itemID=1801&ref=efph_1801_cont_home&referral=ADILOR84W1RA1_A2GASTSSKA6JR2

To sum up, you can open new selling account without Amazon approval however we recommend that you only open a second selling account if you have a legitimate business need.’

Thanks for the reply.

Hmm it make s it a touch confusing. Perhaps they have different rules for different places?

I’m in the UK, and just managed to talk to a support agent as part of the reactivation process. He told me that it’s required to notify of a second account opening, but now i’m wondering how up to date his info is.

It’s a bit confusing with conflicting information everywhere.

For the UK…

#Prohibited seller activities and actions
https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/external/help.html?itemID=200386250&language=en_US&ref=efph_200386250_relt_G1801

Multiple seller accounts:

Operating and maintaining multiple Seller Central accounts is prohibited. If you have a legitimate business need for a second account,you can apply for an exception to this policy:

1. Go to Contact us.
  2. Click Selling on Amazon , then select Your account , and select Other account issues .

In your request, please provide an explanation of the legitimate business need for a second account. To be considered for an approval:

• You must have a separate bank account for each Seller Central account. We will not approve multiple Seller Central accounts that use the same bank account within the same region. If you sell across regions (for example in North America and Europe), you can use the same bank account for your Seller Central accounts as long as your accounts are linked though Amazon Global Selling.
  • Each account must have a separate email address.
  • The products and services sold in each account must be different.
  • Your Performance Metrics must be in good standing.

You’ll receive a response to your request within two to three business days.

Ahhhh dammit. I got my info from the US site. Absolute facepalm.

Well… looks like i need to go through the reactivation process first and seek to delete the second account, before going through the proper process.

Gutted though… if it takes a while to get reactivated thats thousands in the bin :frowning:

Do apply, but you may not need to delete/close, just be very clear and concise in what happened and see what Amazon suggest, you are not the first seller to be caught out by this (and won’t be the last.) :slightly_smiling_face:

Ah well i cant apply while the accounts are suspended.

This is what i did for my reactivation

The root cause of the issue
Having researched some forums and sought clarification from Amazon support, I believe the root cause of this issue is due to the fact that i have created 2 accounts in seller central, in one market.

My business accounts are

1. Eat Grub
  2. Shower Blocks

I opened up Shower Blocks in June due to it being a completely separate business, bank account and brand. I used the below link which implied it was ok to set up another account in my circumstance

https://sellercentral.amazon.com/gp/help/external/G1801?language=en_US

From what i understand having spoken to the support person, i should have requested permission to open up a second account.

My account Shower Blocks is selling soap products, whereas the Eat Grub account sells food items.

It is also worth noting that i am a director on both accounts, and i also access both accounts from the same IP.

The actions that you have taken to resolve the issue
In order to resolve the issue, i would like to request closure of this Shower Blocks account if my assumption that this is in fact the issue to ensure that i operate within terms of service.

The steps that you have taken to prevent the issue going forward
In order to prevent the issue going forward, once the Shower Blocks account is made inactive/closed i will:

1. Go via my Eat Grub account to seek approval to open a second account to maintain proper protocol.
  2. Provide any information required as proof that the business entities are separate.
  3. Ensure that as long as I am granted permission to open the second account, i will maintain proper separation of business activities.
  4. If at any other time i seek to open a new account, i will continue to seek approval prior to making any action.

Looks good to me, my fingers are crossed for you.
Do let us know on the forum how you get on. :crossed_fingers:t3:

OK, following appeals, i have already got my Eat Grub account back online.

The Shower Blocks one is not, and following creating a case, i got an email with this text

"Hello from Amazon Selling Partner Support,

I understand that you are concerned about multiple selling accounts.

Amazon is no longer requires sellers to obtain approval for multiple selling accounts. However, Amazon recommends that you only open a second selling account if you have a legitimate business need and all of your current accounts are in good standing.

If you have a legitimate business need, you may go ahead and create a new account.

Have a nice day!

Please let us know how we did."

So, a bit of work to do to get Shower Blocks online, but over the main hump.

That is an interesting statement (despite the poor grammar !) - was there ever an announcement about that ? - as many of us here have frequently advised new sellers that they are not allowed a second account without prior permission (obviously there will be certain criteria to be met by the second account such as completely different category of inventory etc.)

I don’t recall there being one, but the message copied above has cropped up a number of times.

Just to update everyone. Following further appeal on my other account - Shower Blocks - everything is now re-instated.

It was resolved super fast overall, just a matter of a few days.

With all deactivations, they help you out if you help yourself out in a timely manner, even if it does seem harsh at the time.

That’s great news Eat Grub (or should I call you Shower Blocks?) :grinning:
Thanks for reporting back to us. This will help others who find themselves in the same situation. x

If I click that link, there’s no section titled “multiple seller accounts”… or any mention of such anywhere on the page.
I’ve searched tons of times before and have never been able to find any mention of this rule/policy on the .co.uk site… only on .com.

The section of policies which Amazon refer to if they suspend you for having multiple seller accounts is a section which indicates notice periods Amazon must provide before they suspend your account (21 days for most suspension reasons iirc) unless they suspect you of committing fraud or harming their customers trust.

As such I would assume they count having multiple accounts as potential fraud (tax evasion maybe? idk) or harming customer trust (competing with yourself, creating a new account to hide negative feedback, etc.)

With most deactivations, yes. There’s certain ones… such as suspensions for “used sold as new” customer complaints which they don’t give much help on… usually takes 10-15 appeals to get reinstated for this… and can easily take several months.
There’s a couple of other similar causes of suspension too…

It’s still showing, in the link for me? Scroll down about a quarter of the way.

It isn’t for me. I’ve refreshed a couple of times’

I have just taken the screenshot 2 minutes ago!

I think Amazon have special rules just for you, :grinning:

Using Chrome & desktop view…:woman_technologist:t3: